Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who out there uses ramps? Pics a plus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kosko, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    I only discovered ramps yesterday and thought they were pretty interesting. I naturally play over the back pickup right near the bridge, but looks like the ramp can provide this feeling anywhere on the neck. Just curious, thanks.

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alex

3. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    very cool, does it really help out / provide more flexibility in playing area?

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    People that use them swear by them. EMjazz uses one made by Pete Skjold for one of his basses. I believe the Roscoe he is trying to sell at the moment. I know several others on the board use them as well. I was considering one for my Skjold when its done as well.

5. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Works for me!

If you want to try it out for yourself, get a roll of gaffer tape and build up a large lump of it to the right thickness, cut it to shape and stick it on your bass. Then you can experiment and tweak to your heart's content before cutting any wood up. I had the gaffer tape thing on my bass for about a year before I got that big of ebony fitted.

I have a longer ramp on my (single J-pickup by bridge) fretless, which gets thinner (space between strings and ramp increases) as it goes towards the fingerboard.

Alex

6. Burg

Burg

Nov 29, 2001
    U.K.
    hmmmm,
    i've heard of these before but no absolutely nothing about them, so...

what are they actually used for?

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    They give you an area between the pickups, thats the height of the pickups, and radiused to match your fingerboard and string radius. Its used as a stop to prevent your fingers from going too far through the string and thus slowing you down on the upwards movement. Its supposed to add speed to fingerstyle playing.

8. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    It also (and more importantly) adds control, particularly with regarding to RH fingertip muting techniques. And by stopping the ramp before the fingerboard, there's still plenty of space for slapping and strumming techniques.

I always added thumbrests to my basses before I started adding ramps. The ramp does the whole thumbrest thang as well - and it less likely to unstick because it's so much bigger.

Alex

9. Can anybody recommend a luthier that'll custom cut a block for a ramp?

10. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I'm pretty sure any luthier out there (except maybe Wish) can build you one... just find someone near you.

11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    My Conklin 8 with ramp:

[​IMG]

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

Pete Skjold will make them, basses@skjolddesign.com

I believe someone else said Elrick will make them as well.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Had these installed by Kevin Brubaker a few months ago. I've had the fretless for three years and the six for more than a year before the install. Not a bad match IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

those look great.

Brad I was wondering if you've thought about splitting the coils in the barts on those basses?

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    They both have Bart quadcoils and a three position toggle that goes from:

Quad bridge/quad neck
    Quad bridge/split neck
    Split bridge/split neck

Obviously I'm biased but this is the simplest, easiest to dial in amd most versatile setup I've come across. I have bass, treble and two mid centers, a panpot and a volume control with passive bypass. With five knobs and one switch I can dial in some pretty disparate tones instantly... and repeatably, which is extremely important to me, especially playing live.

For example the six has a ton of natural low end so I run the toggle in the middle (Quad bridge/split neck). Still gives me serious thump while the bridge is very articulate. I prefer the bridge in quadcoil mode, it's nice and punchy, panned hard to it and tweak the lower mids and it gets a pretty impressive Rocco/Jaco vibe.

They could also be wired P or reverse P, inner or out split coils can be chosen. I think mine goes outer with the switch.

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I really like the ramps because it gives me the feel of playing over the pickup and because it's radiused to coincide with the fingerboard it's closer to all of the strings. It took no time to get acclimated to it and the trick soon became working on slowing down.

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Here's another bass. It belongs to Steve Jenkins of the Screaming Headless Torsos. It inspired me to get ramps on a couple of mine.

[​IMG]

18. Ramp made by me.

[​IMG]

19. Here's my two (well, one now :p )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rob Elrick made them both - very reasonably priced as well ;)

20. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    All four of my basses have them. I actually find it difficult to play a bass without them now.

Here's a pic of each one and a group shot:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]