Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who Owns A Fender Bassman 300 PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Oct 13, 2005.

1. No, not a Sunn 300T, yes, I know the Fender is a newer version of the Sunn...

What I want to know is what the differences are between the two, how the Fender sounds, and what cabs you are using with it? Anyone using it with an 810?

Are the Fenders still being made in the same factory as the Sunn, or has production been moved? Is the quality the same?

2. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Son,

I own the SUNN 300T, which has the Fender Musical instruments label on the back. I also compared them side by side with a Fender Pro 300.

They are the exact same "Tone monster" machines. I am not sure where they are manufactured now but I can tell they are the same, unless proven different by someone else. Maybe the Fender does not have the Groove Tubes in them, but this I am not sure. My SUNN 300T has the Fender identified Groove Tubes.

I use a 8X8 Cabinet, but tried a 8X10 also and it simply really rocks !!! Try the Ampeg SVT 8X10 with it and you will have a "thunder" rig. If you have a chance, try the Peavey Pro 810 as well and you will not regret it.

Very versatile head, with tons of power. You can easily run two 810's with it no problem.

3. Does your SUNN 300T have the mid notch switch? I noticed the origional Sunn didn't have it?

So wait, your SUNN was made under the SUNN label, but after Fender bought them over?

4. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Son,

Yes, my SUNN has the mid notch switch and I tell you it is very useful, especially for slap, but I have it on all the time.

So, yes, my SUNN was made after Fender bought them over. The Tubes in it have the Fender label Groove Tubes. Before, I used effects like overdrive and Chorus but now I got rid of everything and play with my Bass only plugged in direct into the amp and enjoy.

5. Great, thats my plan too! ONe head to rule them all...

Whats the distortion channel like on the head, is it more of a buzzy overdrive or a crunchy full on distortion?

Also, do you find the compression to be quite effective?

6. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Fender bought Sunn in 86-87 and sat on the the brand until the late 90s when they released the 300T, 1200S and a few other products like the 2x15.

I have the 1200S and 2x15 and they sound awesome together and the amps are exactly the same with some name differences on the front panel which actually makes it easier to use than the Sunn version

7. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Son,

I actually dig the Compression on the head which is the best compression I found so far in a head. No need to add a pedal compression wheile using that head. You have to tweak it to find the spot that suits your styles and desires, and this might take some time, but once you have it, you will like it a lot.

The overdrive channel ( channel 2 ) can be blended with the clean channel ( channel 1 ) and this to easily adjust the level of overdrive desired. The overdrive is not buzzy or crunchy full on distortion but a good mixture of both in my opinion. Yo ucan acomplish a buzz saw overdrie Tone if you want by cranking the level of channel 2 but personnally do not do this. I mix both channels and get a good "grint" overdrive. To get a different overdrive Tone, I will change my preamp Tubes for JJ\Tesla in the near future and make comparaisons. I can guarantee the Tone will be different and will let you know.

There are lots of possibililities, knobs and tweakings you can do with this head, and all of the tools are good, when used appropriately. You can not try this head in a music store with 20 people around and having 10 minutes to spend only. You need to bring it at your place and do a good test and do some tweaks.

:bassist:

8. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    These amps take a ton of time to dial in with the parametric EQ+tone knobs+compression+low boost, mid notch, hi boost and multiple channels it really is overwhelming at first but once you dial in your tone it sounds great.

9. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I had Fender Bassman 300 Pro, and the power tubes had three labels on them: Fender, GT (groove tubes) and Sovtek. The Fender and GT were just branding, the tubes were Sovtek 6550's.

That amp was incredible, I only sold it because I picked up a '66 Fender Dual Showman head which fits in with my surf rock band.

I played mine through an Epifani 2x12. It could be heard from at least 2 miles away when the master volume was on only '3'. We were sound-checking for an outdoor gig, and a friend said he could hear my bass clearly from his house 2 miles away (I wasn't going through the FOH for this gig). He didn't say it, but I know the bass sounded great as well.

The EQ has a lot of options, but I found a 'recommended settings' sheet that worked pretty good as a starting point, and I just did some minor tweaks. I really don't think you could make it sound bad if you tried.

Big thumbs up from me!

10. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Like any amps you try, you need time to go over some tweaks etc. It seems like a lot at the beginning but all comes in place with time. I really appreciate the mid notch and hi boost. AS well, the EQ permits to achieve the Tone you are looking for. I stopped using Effects since I have this head.

11. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I'm the opposite with effects, it has made me want to try more effects just so I can play with the settings some more to see what I can come up with.

A knob tweakers dream amp

12. Can this amp stay tight & clean at loud volumes (the SVT I tried just broke up at high volumes...) I want it to stay clean and punchy!

Also, can this amp also do a good slapping sound? I don't expect an EBS or anything...

Ps. I keep hearing that all tube heads don't have the tight bottom end that SS heads have, is this true?

13. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Son,

Using the channel 1 on the SUNN head, I have tons of clean headroom. It's punchy, bright and I never had a better slapping sound ( and I play with a Rickenbacker Bass and you know these Basses are not geared towards slap techniques to start with ).

Tight bottom end ??? In my opinion, this head will give you this, but only with the right cabinet. My 8X8" Cabinet has all of that !

14. Cool, thanx Turlu

I will probably be playing through 10s so i think that will help keep the tightness...

your info has helped greatly!

Ps. do you have a footswitch for the SUNN? what do the different buttons switch?

15. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Son,

No problem at all.

With 10's you will cut through on stage really well ! I suggest you go with at least 600-700 watts 410's like the EDEN or Avatar. I would love to try the Bergantino 610 with it too. Better it would be with two 810's for sure !!!

I do have the footswitch and it can cut the EQ, change the channel you want to play with ( very useful ), and compression ( I don't have the footswitch with me at the moment, but I think I am correct ). Anyway, the most use for the footswitch is to change the channels, which is great when you want to go from "grint" to clean.

Have fun and let us know what you think.

16. sweet, thanx

will let you know as soon as I get it and spend some time with it...

17. Does anyone know if you can change tube types in the Sunn/fender?

Ie. changing from 6550s to KT88s?

18. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    KT88's and 6550 are interchangeable for the most part but you won't gain much if any wattage.

KT88's actually sound better than 6550's so I would stick a set of JJ KT88's in there if you really want to change the tubes

19. thanx Protoz

I'm not really looking for a wattage increase, but more of a tonal variation...

what would the tonal differences be between the two tube types?

20. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    From what I gather:
    6550's break up sooner making it great for metal
    KT88's have more headroom typically and since the 300 has a distortion channelq you shouldn't miss too much