1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who owns a light rig? for live shows?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by brenner182, Oct 13, 2010.

1. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    I happened to stumble upon a deal (i hope) i could not pass up. One of the other local bands had some par 64 cans and some other cans for sale they wanted to get rid of because they were not using them.

So i bought them. All of them.
    [​IMG]

Only downside is these
    [​IMG]

And this
    [​IMG]

I also got a box of 1000watt bulbs and some 500w bulbs. But my buddy(the master of electricity lol) said we can gut theses and make it so they dont blow every breaker forever. So we plan on gutting then and fitting them with 75w floodlights and sockets and some gels. and these are gonna be backup/smaller gig tree setups.

Only thing i need now is some tree stands, chasers and possibly a truss. Any thought or any better ideas on how to make this a cheap and practical/usefull investment

2. Depending on the deal you got, you could flip them for profit and buy LED's.

3. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    so far i only have 100 bucks in it.

4. Well that sounds cheap looking at the pic, but I really don't know the lighting market. All I know is the LED lights are easier to work with because of weight, heat, energy, bulbs, etc.

I'd sniff around to see what the market will bear on these and upgrade if you can.

5. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Concert-quality (i.e. has a ton of focused light) LEDs cost more for a single bulb-style array than that entire rig is worth. A computer-controlled (DMX or otherwise) LED array costs well into four figures. An LED-based mover, with a focusing mirror or lense that will do something besides a gentle wash that dissipates at long range (i.e. more than 20 ft) is even more.

PARs eat power, plain and simple. Just buy durable bulbs, scale down your rig when you don't have enough power available, and when you want to expand, get something besides PARs, some cheap movers, mirror balls, whatever...unless you're playing some pretty large stages those suckers will light your band up like an airfield with no gels in place. No affordable LED will come even close to the amount of light those cans will put out.

For the most part, even a simple PAR-based light setup makes a band look way, way better than no light setup. It's a noticable difference, even if your average audience member couldn't say why you guys looked better than the band before you.

The only thing I'd say is put conventional plugs, ones that you see used at the venues you play, on the end of those cords. There's no reason to go using plugs specialized for use in professional lighting rigs, motor control, or proprietary setups. Some twist-lock or standard plugs from Home Cheap-o would do fine.

6. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    the plan with these so far is just to install 75w flood lights. you can buy those as a 2 pack for about 5 bucks as opposed to the 30$ for the 500 watt bulbs. My band has such a hard-on all of a sudden for these led lights.

"oh sweet 12 cans for 850 bucks"

that also does not include anything else i.e. cables dmx controllers. For what my band is looking to get is around 2k. and if i can get these set up for around 300 bucks including all the stands and gels and chasers i dont really see a point in dishing out the dough for a led kit.

My buddy is electrical engineer. He's gonna set everything up to use the as many lights as possible with the Lightest amount of draw.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I have a light rig. It weighs about 20 pounds. :D

8. I'd like to figure out some way to put some laser's in my band's light rig... they are pretty affordable these days.

9. I've looked at some of the new led lights, about the size of a 19in. flatsceen tv, and four would be plenty for most situations. They'd run about $165 per unit, so a little under $700 for the set-up. They would fit on the current light stands we have, and would keep the player closest to those big pars a lot cooler. We always look at things like this, that one job we use some of the money to upgrade gear. That way, no one band member is out a ton of money.

10. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    The band I'm in now has mostly LED's and two Par cans. Its so nice to be able to play on stage and not need a fan blowing on me all night long. My last band had lots of par cans and it was always hot, even in winter.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021