1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who owns a SUB?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wtf_is_a_bass, Apr 4, 2009.

1. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    Who here owns any of the Musicman SUB range? Actually more importantly, who likes their sub and classes it as one of their 'main' basses? Ive always had the feeling that there arent many sub players out there but i thought i might try prove myself wrong.

My passive red sub 4 was my first decent bass and i still love it :)

2. frankieg

frankieg

Jun 24, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    Hartke
    I've got a black SUB 5 string and totally dig it. My favorite 5 string to record with for sure. It has a voice all it's own. I totally dig the neck profile. Had to do a little fret work on it when I got it. But, I pretty much have had to do that on almost every new bass I've gotten. Well worth it to because the action on it is super sweet! Matter of fact I am looking into a custom bass right now and that is the neck profile that I want.

3. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I own an active SUB 5 string and love(d) it. It's the gray finish with rosewood fretboard and I strung it with DR Black Beauties - sounded great. It was my go to bass for the better part of a year. Perfect blend of cost, quality, durability, sound, weight, comfort and looks for gigging.
    Alas, I decided to use it as test mule for a new bass design I was working on so I routed out a pickup tub from neck to bridge :eek: and tried a couple dozen pickups, combinations and locations and a few preamps until I got the sound I wanted. Then I went off with those learnings and built the perfect bass for me.:cool:
    I fully intend to buy another SUB 5 if I can find a used one, they're getting harder to find. In the mean time if I want that Stingray vibe I use my 79 ray.

4. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    My first MusicMan was a SUB, I then got a Stingray5 and a "proper" Stingray 4 string with 3 band EQ. My main bass these days is a P bass and the 'Ray5 and 'Ray have gone, the SUB remains however, albeit now minus its frets. Great basses in their own right regardless of price.

5. bassfuser

bassfuser

Jul 16, 2008
    I also own an active SUB 5 that I use as my main bass. It's so easy to get a great sound out of it.

I had to do some work on it when I first got it. The action was way too high, one of the saddles was upside down so the bridge didn't fit right, and the machine heads buzzed. I adjusted the truss rod and intonation, put a little metallic duct tape around the machine heads, and now it plays and sounds great.

I'd like to get a Stingray, but can't spend the bucks right now. The SUB is a great alternative for the money.

6. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I have a blue active 4 string and think it kills. I'm more of a fiver Bongo kind of guy, but no doubt it's a great bass and I'm keeping it!

7. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I have a SUB 4, black w/black guard. It reminds me of a black Harley. Cool bass and for the gig it is great to not worry about the guitarist bumping in to me. With the armored finish, only his guitar takes on damage ha ha.

It sounds punchy and the 2 band eq is cool. I use it with the bass on full and treble either all the way off, or up just a bit depending on string life.

I do like my 30th Anniv Stingray better, but the SUB is just solid all the way around.

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    "Solid" is an adjective that comes immediately to mind with the S.U.B. :rolleyes: Indestructible, weighs a ton.

Love mine, but too heavy for me...like a number of my basses are.

Getting a black one would really be dodging the bullet considering the atrocious colors they came in otherwise. I don't think I ever encountered a black one in a store, they got snapped up so fast.

9. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    Actually I played one in a store 2 days ago. It thought it sounded better than the 2007 LE MM they had hanging there. I played a 5'er SUB after that one and it sounded worse, but it probably needed a good setup and fresh strings. My first Music Man was the ''real'' thing, but after this experience I regret not having tried some SUBs since they are alot cheaper :/.