Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who owns a Workingman 300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VictorLeMonteWooten, Jan 29, 2001.

1. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    I am looking into SWR Workingwan 300 heads and i wondered if any of you workingman 300 owners out there have had any problems or something?

2. michael

michael

Mar 10, 2000
    Hi Vic

I recently purchased a nice use WM 300 for half the price of a new Bass 350. I was able to a/b them for a night. The Workingman had just as much volume as the 350 and with both running flat, I just couldn't hear an appreciable difference, not 500 bux worth, that't for sure. Plus the Bass 350 doesn't have the speaker switch so you get a horrendous speaker transient (craaack!) when you hit the switch. The Workingman's has the speaker switch. I haven't used it with a full band yet, but with a Goliath Jr. cab I was running it around half playing with a guitarist with a 300 watt Boogie. I also have a 15 cab to add some volume if I need it, but the general opinion is that these are a little marginal for power. I just don't want to be cranking that much volume off the stage anyway, so it should be enough for me.

I like it. Lots.

3. LuoLi

LuoLi

Apr 2, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I have a Workingman's 300. The only problem I had with it was the direct out wasn't working. the store where I bought it fixed it for me (a wire was loose). So that wasn't a problem.

It's been really reliable though. I run an Eden 2x10XL & a SWR Son of Bertha (1x15). And with both cabinets, I have a bunch of headroom (270 watts). Using one cabinet isn't enough though (160 watts). I get my ass kicked using one cabinet.

It sounds pretty good as well. I've been cranking up the power amp and using the pre for volume. I can have a more "intense" EQ setting and not clip the amp. I'm happy with it.

I was thinking about a Bass 750. Because carrying around 2 cabinets can be a pain. I'd like to sound kick ass using one cabinet, but right now I want to get a better instrument.

4. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    i don't think it would be so "quiet" if the one cab was a triad or a peavey 1820 or even a 215.

5. michael

michael

Mar 10, 2000
    If that single cab is 4 ohms especially. How much volume do people need these days? I used to use a dual bottom (16 x 10) SVT back in the old days when nothing ran through the PA except for drums and vocals. Then sound systems got really big and we only needed a decent DI and some stage monitor amps. I never want to go back to filling a big room with my amp. That's why I think the WM 300 is perfectly adequate for loud playing in a small, unmiked gig and for stage monitoring when going DI to the sound system in a bigger venue. It definitely gives you thump and rumble.

6. LuoLi

LuoLi

Apr 2, 2000
    Columbus, OH

A 4 ohm cabinet would probably be OK. I would rather go with 8 ohm cabinets, so I can easily add another one later. The amp will go down to 2.6 ohms, but I don't think it's recommended.

The reason I want more power is our PA isn't the best thing out there. That means I have to provide the punch myself. When we start playing at places with a good PA. I'll be OK. 160 watts into my Eden 2x10XLT would be good for a monitor. But until that happens, I'm on my own.

The other thing is I have a Dean 5 string with passive pickups. It's OK. But with a better instrument, I'd go a long way in helping my sound.

7. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    I have a WM 300 head that I have used on many gigs. I got it for $300 at a local store, which I thought was a good deal. It has a decent tone, but I had several gigs where the thing overheated and shut down in the middle of a song. Not good. This was helped by getting more efficient cabinets.

It would also cause a hum more often than not when I used the DI. The hum could be eliminated by plugging into the same outlet as the PA. This makes me suspect a grounding problem.

But I still use the amp for practice, but hopefully not ever again for gigs.

YMMV.

8. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    for starters, i was just going to use a 8 ohlm 115, i would use that for a more powerful practice amp, and then i was going to invest in a Peavey 1820 or a Swr Triad (if i'm lucky). After reading posts, i don't think i want to go up to (or should i say down to) 2.6 ohlms. I don't think i want to start the next Chicago Fire (even though i live in seattle, and i don't think that is possible because it is so damp here. paper won't even catch fire).

9. modulusgod

modulusgod

Mar 30, 2005
    Hi Vic!

I am the proud owner of a W.M. 300 head. I've it for about 7 years now and I have beat the snot out of it time and time again and it will not quit. :bassist: I have even recently been running it with THREE 8 ohm cabs to draw the full 350 watts this head can produce. I have the origional owners manual and it says this is acceptable. I now have just sold two of my cabs and I am currently running one avatar b210 cab (4 ohm)
    and one SWR big ben 18'' (8 ohm) for a total impedeance of 2.67 ohms, the amp min. ohmage. The amp does get fairly warm, but I run a small clamp fan on it to keep it cool, since there is no internal cooling fan on this amp.

The sound I was getting at first was decent, but I have spiced it with a signal from a sans amp DI and I also run a BBE
    sonic maximizer thru the effects loop, and the tone is amazing! Warm and round, but you can also get good grind and treble bite when you dig in.

I hope you have good luck in finding one! I have been told that the newer versions(4004) are not even comparable in sound or quality, even with the extra 100 watts.

Keep in mind this head only produces 270 watts at 4 ohm and only 160 watts at 8 ohms! :eyebrow: So if you run a single 8 ohm cab your volume isn't going to be earth shattering!

Good luck finding one! and if this is the real Vic Wooten this is going to, it's been a honor! If not, It's still been a honor!
    Peace! :D :D :D :D

10. hold up, is this an amp or head