1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who owns dogs who react to the music

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Jimks, Oct 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jimks

Jimks

Oct 11, 2016
    Kansas
    When I play my saxophone or something along that line, my dogs howl .... loudly. Half the time I don't know if they are protesting or singing along. I think it's protesting.

When I play bass or harmonica, they gather .... watch me and listen.

I could tell some funny stories about both. I had one (now dead) that seemed to like to listen, but any time I played this "one" song ...... she would about knock down the door to get out of there. One day I had the main door into the house open, but the screen door shut and locked. She hit that screen door so fast, and well ..... not only broke the lock, but damaged the door pretty good. She refused to come back into the house until I had the guitar put up.

But turn on the stereo system and put on Santana playing Samba Pa Ti ...... and she was all ears, and loved that song ...

My cat, she just runs away and hides. She doesn't show back up until she thinks it's safe.

2. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    We have practice I mean "rehearsal" at my house. The dogs are in and out checking us out the whole time. I have 3, blue heeler, red heeler, and a old chorkie. The guitar player said the red heeler (10 months) came in looked at him, then looked at me, kind of made a disgusted head shaking motion and walked out.
    My Bookends
    WP_20171020_002.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    GrooverMcTube likes this.
  3. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    My dogs hate when I head bang around the room while guitaring.

4. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    My dog (rescue Cockalier) often comes to recording sessions with me (recording/mixing is my 'day gig') and he is pretty cool with most stuff, but HATES clarinet (and the doorbell). There must be some overtone or something that drives him crazy. He will growl at either a person playing clarinet, or at the speakers during playback. Can't say I blame him. Horrid instrument:)

If I'm practicing, or rehearsing, he'll just curl up either by the endpin of the bass, or under the piano.

John

HertzWhenIPlay likes this.
  5. HertzWhenIPlay

HertzWhenIPlay

Jan 15, 2011
    I like things that go BOOM
    My dog comes to every rehearsal and any other occasion where he’s allowed. B024CA19-0F9C-4D40-BDB8-D8A3DCD654DC.

Jimks, nbsipics and kesslari like this.
  6. My yellow lab like to curl up against the front of my cabinet while I play. Eventually she decides there has been too much music and not enough dog attention, so she will come push my right hand away from the strings.

Jimks likes this.
  7. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    The dogs couldn't care less.
    The parrots - they LOVE music. When I play, they dance. It's a hoot.

Jimks likes this.
  8. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    We have a Chi-Weenie (rescue) who rushes over and literally melts every time I sing. Think of the early Elvis concerts and the ladies fainting. That kind of thing. Not sure if it's sweet, or pathetic. I'm not that good at singing. She believes I'm singer to her, and only to her.

Jimks likes this.
  9. bengreen

bengreen

Jan 26, 2016
    San Diego
    Both my pooches had lovely singing voices.

But they were more inclined to accompany fire engines. They left the room when I played.

Everyone's a critic.

ThudThudThud and Jimks like this.
  10. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    My dog leaves the room every time I pick up my bass.

Jimks likes this.
  11. TwentyHz

TwentyHz Supporting Member

Hah! We used to have a pug that became the band dog for a loud rock band. She would park right by the kick and then squeal/howl a little burst of appreciation after every tune. So, we wrote a song about her.

We have a dog now that seems pretty non-plussed about a full band, but shows her appreciation when I play the db solo, unplugged, when no one else is home. She, uh, becomes rather, er, 'affectionate' towards a balled-up blanket on the couch --- as if its an innocent bystander's leg --- especially for a low F. I take it as a compliment, and evidence that she must love that pretty low-end tone as much as I do. Alas, no one else in the house believes me, and I'm not willing to try to film it, out of respect for her privacy.

Jimks likes this.
  12. Cheez

Cheez Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Texas/Louisiana border
    I can't tell if my dog reacts to music, but he did become suddenly interested in my upright when I put guts on it.

13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    When I played flute, my teacher's dog would howl whenever I played scales. It meant in practical terms that I couldn't play scales there, because I would always crack up.

Jimks likes this.
  14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    My last bulldog didn't care for it. But Rocky follows me everywhere. When I go into my practice room, he scratches at the door til I let him in. Sits at my feet, no matter the volume (not that I practice very loud.

15. turbo2256b

turbo2256b

Jan 4, 2011
    Had a drummer that had a small dog that woud curl up in his bass drum while we practiced. My self had a Parakeet that would dance around and squawk when i plaid. A dog I had half Arctic Wolf/ German Shepard would would sing along while I was jamming along to a song. I say singing as he was almost pitch perfect varying tones unlike most dogs.

My son had a couple 6' boas for a while they seemed to become agitated when I PLAYED

Jimks likes this.