Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who owns or has played a Hanewinckel?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malthumb, Jul 15, 2001.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Now that I'm in the process of violating one of the most sacred rules of Gear-Dom (try before you buy) I'd like to know who owns or has played a Hanewinckel?

I have one on it's way to me now. It's the 6-string that is shown on Hanewinckel's page at the Artist Series tab. http://www.hanewinckelguitars.com/artist.html The specs on it lead me to believe it should be killer, but rarely is a good bass just the sum of its parts.

I'm interested in knowing your likes / dislikes, watch-out-for's, etc. This is also my first foray into the 6-string world, so it oughta be doubly fun. I've dabbled a bit at GC and Huber & Breese, but never really spent any time with a 6er. After losing out on a Cirrus in the last 3 seconds of an eBay bid I started giving more consideration to trying a 6.

Peace,

James

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Calling Dave Grossman

:)

3. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Malthumb, Don't tell me you sold one of your Bics'. Or did you violate the sacred 3 bass rule?

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Generally speaking, Hanewinckels are as good as anything out there. Just look for the usual stuff.

5. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Hey Groove,

I've been Super Dad & Super Hubby the last few weeks so I get the handcuffs loosened a notch. The "Bic triplets are still in their rightful place.

The Hanewinckel kinda came outta nowhere and I made a deal on it that even Brad would be proud of ;)

Peace,

James

6. well....I used to play with the Hanewinkel,then they told me it would make me go blind! :D :D :D

7. Sorry I'm late ...

I own a Hanewinckel 7-string Reactor Artist. It's a great instrument! I've tried dozens of high-end instruments and I have never found any to suit my as perfectly as my 7-string Reactor. That's subjective though. It is also of very high quality. I did have the opportunity to play a Hanewinckel before I ordered mine so I knew what to expect.

Before I got my Hanewinckel, I had a 6-string Warwick Corvette. I thought I would keep the Corvette but after a week with my 7-string Reactor, I knew that there was no reason to.

This composite pic was taken by Pete Hanewinckel:

http://www.unpronounceable.com/dave/photos/hanewinckel7.jpg

There are a few more at:

http://www.unpronounceable.com/digital/instruments.html

Anyway, I've pimped Pete's basses in numerous other threads so I'll leave it at that. You can search out the previous Hanewinckel threads via the search function.

Hope you get one! They're great instruments!

- Dave

P.S.

I forgot to mention that I have a 7-string Hanewinckel Fusion Pro that is almost ready! At some point, I'm going to order a 7-string piccolo bass too!

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    :D

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I played a Hanewinckel 7 when I bought my Roscoe 7. There's nothing not to like, great bass. I chose the Roscoe but that's not a negative reflection on the Hanewinckel, just a product of my personal taste. The one I played had very narrow string spacing, a big factor in my decision but you can get 'em with different spacing, of course.

10. Yes, you can get different spacing at the nut and bridge. I also have the narrow spacing which I prefer.

- Dave

11. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    James,

Those "Husband / Father of the Year" award points really come in handy don't they.

That bass looks beautiful. Enjoy!

Bones

12. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I picked up the Hanewinckel 6 at Fed Ex this afternoon. I've only had a few minutes to dink around with it today, but I'll have a lot more time shortly.

It's a beautiful & well crafted instrument. MUCH lighter than it looks (then again I'm used to 13 pound basses). I think the finish is gonna take a lot of maintenace to keep it looking good. Not as much as a Warwick, though.

The action is set incredibly low but it's definitely set up well. I haven't detected any dead spots or fretbuzz, but then I've only played it about 10 minutes through headphones with my Pandora's Box.

I'll definitely have to contact Hanewinckel to make sure I understand the controls.

Might be a while before I break it out at church. Gotta get used to that C.

I might post pics, but then again, the link below is a picture of this bass at Hanewinckel's site.

http://www.hanewinckelguitars.com/artist.html

Peace,

James

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I like that body style. Sweet bass.

14. Congrats! Hanewinckel makes great instruments. My 7-string fretless Fusion Pro is almost finished. Just waitin' on the pickups.

It looks like those controls are the same as what are on mine:

Knobs:
    Volume
    Blend
    Low
    Mid
    High

Switches:
    Pickup Series/Parallel ( I think )
    Mid Freq Q ( 250HZ, 500HZ and 800HZ )
    Active/Passive

Hope you enjoy your new bass! I'd like to see more pics when you get them.

- Dave

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Dave,

Thanx for the controls info. I did manage to snap a couple pix with my crappy digi-cam. I'm attaching one.

I A/B' d the Hanewinckle with my Alembic 5 string. Totally different animals. The Alembic has just monstrous tone, so it didn't make for a fair comparison. Besides, I've got a year into the Alembic, so I know how to get to the sounds I like.

Two things are very clear to me now, though:
    1) The Hanewinckel is much more forgiving and somewhat more playable.
    2) It's gonna take me some time to get used to the wider string spacing.

I think the Hanewinckel is definitely a keeper.

Peace,

James

16. Hey, Dave, are Hanewinckel's "list prices" the actual price, or does he discount through dealers? Would it be reasonable to expect to get a Vintage 5 with the two-band preamp upgrade for $1400 new?

17. You should put together a spec of everything you want ( including wood choices and any other details ) and ask him the same question. The list prices are not totally carved in stone. You can probably expect some kind of discount from the 'list' price. What that discount may be is dependent on a number of factors.

Good luck!

- Dave