Who owns/plays ONLY one bass? (besides me)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vlad5, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2011
    PNW USA
    I haven't started a thread in a while (save sales threads), and thought I'd try this out.

Anyone else besides me owning and using only one bass?

I mean, this is the third bass I've owned, but I've only ever had one at a time.
    My current bass is (almost) my dream bass.
    I'd trade it up for a neck thru version... um, maybe.
    I've looked for and tried other basses, and no other I've tried gets me as close to the tone in my head.

Anyway, this is my one and only bass.
    Found it used, in terrible condition.
    I got the neck straightened, and then refinished, rewired and tuned/set it myself.
    I even copper taped the cavity just because I could.
    About a month's worth of work to get it back to fighting form.
    So, I'm a little attached to it.

2002 Warwick Thumb, bolt-on 5-string
    Ovangkol body - very thin poly coat
    Ovangkol neck - open grain, well bees-waxed
    Wenge fretboard - hard as ebony but not quite as bright
    Xtra large bell brass frets
    MEC pickups and preamp.
    DR Drop tuned strings, as big as they come.

I play fast, loud heavy metal with plenty of gain, grind, and distortion.
    This bass excels at that.
    So growly. Low-mids for days, and a bright mid-top end that cuts thru heavy guitar distortion like a laser.
    Never ever muddy, no matter how much bass I boost after it.

FrontBack_after.jpg

1brcuWS9PX5hOiYaBmd7dZLORre3X0p0sudBBSXrfqE=w586-h432-no.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  2. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Until last February I only owned one bass--ever--and that was the case for years.
    In february I finally got a second bass--only the second one I've owned--so back then I could have been in the same boat...

3. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

Mar 7, 2008
    Finland
    For 6 years (1987 - 1993) the red early-80's custom ESP bass on the right was my one and only. I still have it and play it. I bought it used in 1987, so we've been together for 27 years now.

joulukuu%2B003.jpg

4. Funkmabassup

Funkmabassup

Jul 16, 2013
    I own a couple of low-end basses as well, but all I really play is my Sadowsky UV70 4 string, had it for soon 5 years now and use it on all gigs and practices on both heavyrock and soul/funk.

Didnt even plan on getting a new bass but I joined a friend on a trip too a musicstore were he was gonna look for new basses, and i was dumb/smart enough to plug this baby in and try it out, 3 weeks later I jumped in my car and bought it, when I entered the store, the owner smiled and said: ah your back too buy the Sadowsky .

MovingPitchers likes this.
  5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    One bass is OK if you always play the same kind of music with the same sound and the same style. But I'd point out the OP doesn't have a fender-shaped headstock which is often important for some kinds of bass playing. Even I had to eventually break down and buy one. The wider your musical range the more basses you need to cover it. A fretted is not a fretless. A 4 string is not a 5 string is not a 6 string is not a 7 string is not an 8 string is not a 12 string etc.

TB rule: You can never own too many basses.

So now that you've got your "dream bass" that is cool, but that doesn't mean there are not OTHER dream basses out there that do different things!

Blankandson likes this.
  6. signboy

signboy Guest

May 24, 2014
    I've got an Ibanez 505. It gets all my love. We funk, metal, prog, reggae, and blues together.
    My MM fretless 5 collects dust, as does my Washburn 6.

Pachap and KickingBass like this.
  7. Funkmabassup

Funkmabassup

Jul 16, 2013
    some basses can nail both a awesome slaptone, aggressive rock tone and that warm mellow tone, I dont even use all the tonal variations on my bass that much, cause most of the soundnyances i create with my fingers(this demands a dynamicly responsive bass though). The belief that you need one axe for each genre or song is quite ridicilous and until I joined TB I thought this was something only gui****s was thinking

8. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Aside from the Stick, the most I have ever owned at any one time is 4 - fretless J, fretted P, fretted J and fretless Wal Pro 1e. Now I am down to 1 + Stick. The only one I wish I still had is the Wal, but that is another (interesting) story...

9. longsummer

longsummer Guest

Aug 30, 2014
    I got a Ibanez sr400 for live , sr 1205 for recording
    Pretty much all I need

10. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Let me know if you need to move that MM fretless out of your way (PM)...

SteveCS likes this.
  11. I always only ever had ONE bass.....................................................until

I found TalkBass.com

12. TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Aug 4, 2009
    My first bass was an Ibanez Soundgear (I think) 4 string. It was a good bass and actually recorded very well. I decided I needed a 6 string a few years later and purchased a Carvin LB76. Not long after that my apartment building went up in flames. Thankfully I had my insurance situation in order. I ordered another LB76 from Carvin and I have been playing that for 14 years now and just finished tracking the bass on some new music I am working on with it. From time to time I think about picking a MIM Fender Jazz bass to do some slapping or maybe a fretless. So far that has not come to pass.. :)

13. SteveC

SteveC Gold Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    NE ND
    I have had only one bass for almost a year. That will be remedied inMarch with the arrival of my Roscoe fretless 5. :bassist:

14. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I've only had one bass for at least the last 9 months (my Carvin BB75) but I have a fretless 5 and fretted 6 incoming, so that period is coming to an end.

15. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again??

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Only one bass??

inconceivable.jpg

;)

raventepes, zontar, Ric5 and 6 others like this.
  16. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I have three Basses, A 70's Jazz, EBMM SR-4 and a Warmoth Jazz fretless. However I only ever take 1 to a gig and generally play one for extended periods. Ive been playing my Jazz exclusively for the last few months.

17. i used to have two. now i just have my gretsch g5123b

blindrabbit likes this.
  18. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Great flick.

I only have and play one bass. But I just started two weeks ago, give me a month or two to build up a 'stable.' ;)

19. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    I do. I went through probably a hundred basses before I rescued this old battered '66 P bass. It had chair legs for straplocks!!
    I love the J PUP and can't imagine playing a bass thats not P/J.
    Anyways, its the only bass I use. I do own a Peavey Foundation fretless, but I don't play it.

pbass.jpg pback.jpg pneck.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  20. Ajapses

Ajapses Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Cleveland, TN
    Can't figure out Madden football
    Played the same (and only) MIJ Pbass for over 25 years. Then, 2014 hit and 2 custom basses showed up. As for next year...I haven't gone around the corner, yet... but my turn signal is on. One of the good/evil things about getting old is better access to money.

Nephilymbass likes this.