Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who owns the Traynor YBA200?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Sep 14, 2005.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Hi,

I would like to see how many TBers own and play a tube head like the Traynor YBA200.

A short comment would be appreciated too.

thanks.

2. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    Yeah! I'd like to hear from them as well

3. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I have a YBA-1 Bassmaster. Best effin thing I ever heard in my life. I'm 44 years old, and just sick about the fact that it took me this long to find the "Holy Grail" of bass sounds (IMHO, of course).

Incidentally - it's only 50 watts, and it eats my GK800RB (400 watts) for breakfast.

4. Ohmslaw

Ohmslaw

Aug 24, 2005
    I have a 1966 YBA-1 which I bought 29 years ago. It kicks big booty butt.

5. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    I've owned one for a few months now and absolutely love it. If you don't have a really deep pocket, but desire straight-up tube sound, I'd say it's a great buy. Sounds as good as the Mesas and Warwicks I've plugged into, but considerably cheaper. Hopefully in the near future I'll be adding a second one as part of my biamp rig.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    2 YBAs? That sound be awesome! Get pics up when you get em.

7. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I have a YBA200, and after a preamp tube swap, I love it even more. I'll eventually swap out the power amp tubes too, but one thing at a time I suppose.

8. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    What did you change them to and why?

9. I have a YBA 200 swapped the pre to (1) JJ 12at7 (1) JJ 12ax7
    and kept the 12au7 stock. I also swapped the 6550s for (4) JJ KT88s, love this amp, can be clean when you want it and carnk the gain for some nice dirty tones. Crank the master and hear the power tube distortion and its tube heaven. I also have a 1972 YBA-3 and its just as great, not quite as versatile but great tube tone...and very loud for a 130W amp

10. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Not trying to high-jack all your guys' yba200 glory, but I did some research on on the paticular model and read some reviews (harmonycentral.com).

I read that they usually go for aorund 500-600$$ new, and is the 200 watt output enough to keep up with a rock band?

With all the tube guru's out there I assume the answer to the output is yes and thensome. But I'm just curious.

Also how many times a year do you guys switch out the tubes?

Thanks!

-Rob

11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You replace the tubes when they need replacing. No more or less often.

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The YBA is quite loud and plenty to keep up with a rock band. I was considering getting one to give me a different tone than my Mesa 400+, but my budget doesn't support it at the moment. Tubes can last longer than 35 years if treated properly and such. However, generally people will swap tubes every 3 or so years.

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Depends on the quality of the tubes (and how much vibration they are subjected to).

Good NOS (esp. Military) tubes will probably outlast your bass-playing career (20 to 40 years).