Who owns these hard-to-find pickups and electronics?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DaveAceofBass, Jul 20, 2004.

1. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm taking a poll and also a questionnaire on some pickups, I need your help!!! Most of us are familiar with Bartolini, they have a good website, but try to get them on the phone to answers and you're screwed!!! I've heard amazing things about Villex pickups, and "William" Villex (his American name) is super friendly about making me some pickups, but I can't find the necessary info to make an educated decision. Anyone who has experience with his pickups, speak up. Tell us what configuration (single, dual, or split coil), and what size and shape (P, J, soapbar, MM, etc.). Tell us if you use an onboard preamp, or run it passive, and thoughts on both. Anyone who has switches what do they do with the Villex systems? What is your take on his booster switch? Also....

Who has RMC piezos on their bass? What kind of bridge? What kind of preamp are you using? Anyone have experience using the piezos passively? How do they sound compared to other piezos? Any suggestions on how to get the best sound with them? How reliable are they? Ever have any problems (piezos are often times very fragile and unreliable)? Who has experience with the Hybrid preamp? Thoughts?

And lastly, anyone out there have experience with any of the electronics available from the Noll electronics company in Europe? Any comments? How do they sound to other preamps or electronics companies?

Well, I hope you talkbassers have some answers or comments!!! Let's get the word and the info out there for people looking into new pickups and electronics.....
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Did you get the email I sent you in answer to your questions? I didn't hear back from you after that. So I'll repost it in case you didn't get it.

I've run P/J, J setups passive and into a preamp, and I've liked them either way - just like any other good pickup. Only thing is that unless you use a stacked vol/vol pot you need three pots for vol / vol / mid so that can make space tight to put in a preamp if your bass only has three/four knob holes.

Did you do a search? There's three pages of villex referencing threads.

As far as I know, I'm the only one here with his output boosters so far. Since he doen't advertise them, I only found out when Mr Villex mentioned them in passing in an email exchange. I just haven't found a bass with enough space in control cavity to install it in yet, I'll probably try it out in a J or P in place of tone control.
  3. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I've used the RMC's in a fretless 6, it really gives you that Alain Caron tone. They work fine passive but I found them a bit bright and added a small capacitor to ground to roll off some highs. I used a Wilkinson bridge (which I hate) and got the RMC saddles with the piezos built in.
  4. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I also have some Villex I picked up second hand, but haven't had the opportunity to try them in an instrument yet. Customs sometimes take a long time to finish......
  5. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I did get your email, thankyou for your reply. I won't be using J pickups, however, I'm really after some info on his soapbar pickups, although I really appreciate everyone's input since I really don't know much other than what Villex told me personally, and I'm not technical enough to understand what he's talking about most of the time. What is your thoughts on series parallel? Reverse P or regular P for slit coil soapbar shape? Or better to use dual coils? Villex did mention that he doesn't like dual coils, that he prefers to make split coil shape for soapbars. I was leaning toward dual coil for the bridge pickup, but then I'd like to tap the coils for hum/single sounds. That could mean another switch and we're tight on space. Villex told me that these pickups can be used with a blend pot as well, and I know Linc Luthier is currently retrofitting a finished bass with a set using the blend control. I am looking for a way to cut down on the number of knobs, but I'm not sure how we're going to wire the piezos and the mags, passively or actively, and if we go active, we'll probably use the RMC Hybrid preamp, but I'm interested in the Noll electronics too.....
  6. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Did you try the piezos actively with a buffer, to give a comparison between the passive sound and an active sound? RMC, the piezo maker, suggests wiring the piezos to his Hybrid preamp, which we already have, but Villex had the idea to run the piezos and mags passively with some sort of crossover circuit. I know we are gonna crammed in the control cavity, because of the bass's design and the hollow body (see my New Linc Luthier Bass thread). So I'm not sure what to ask for. What do you think, take RMC's (the piezo maker) suggestion for the best tone, or take Villex's idea to wire it passively? I'm curious to hear everybody's opinion...