1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who pays for PA repairs?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mcnaughb, Jun 13, 2014.

1. mcnaughb

mcnaughb

Apr 27, 2012
    Just curious on people's thoughts. One of my band members owns some powered monitors and one of them was broken at a show...AMP or speaker blown, not sure yet...

Question is, should the band pay for the repair because it happened during our performance and the band member was "loaning" the monitor for our use?

Just curious what other folks do for member owned equipment when used for the band.

Thanks.

-mcnaughb

2. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    Singer.

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Depends on whether or not he's getting an extra cut for providing the gear in question.

Riis

4. rfslick

rfslick

Dec 31, 2008
    Benicia, CA. USA
    If he's just supplying gear for the band to use, the band should cover it. If he's getting an extra cut for the sound system, he should handle it.

skychief, Tony B. Filthy and INTP like this.
  5. f64

f64

Oct 31, 2009
    This isn't a new question so time and logic has settled this before. It's been happening over and over since portable PA's were first schlepped.
    If the band member was being compensated for supplying the equipment then the repair is up to them. If, as you say in this case, it was being "loaned" for a performance then the band members combined should cover it.

6. mcnaughb

mcnaughb

Apr 27, 2012
    None of us are making anything. This is a hobby for us but the band has banked a few bucks. No one is drawing anything at this time from that fund or making anything at the shows other than gas and beer money.

The singer doesn't own anything other than their mic and some cables.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Does the band regularly gig his PA? If so it seems pretty fair to chip in considering you haven't been paying for a P.A. rental. Consider that renting your own P.A. would probably run you $50-100/night.

8. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    But seriously. Worst case scenario I would say owner covers 50% the band including owner splits the other 50%. Just because it occurred during your gig doesn't mean the gig caused it. Things get old and break down. If my bass amp blew up during a gig I can't see my band mates putting there hand up to cover the cost because I was (loaning my amp for the performance). I would say in future organise a modest fee for pa hire to the band member on paying gigs this should be put aside for maintenance and repair.
    My current band has a fund we all put a 5 in each rehearsal and gigs that pay say 450 we put the 50 in and take a hundred each. This covers the occasional pizza petrol for the drummer (he drives us all if it's a long distance show) and breakdowns not that we've had any yet so we usually do a big night out around Christmas time.

9. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    He who controls the volume knob shall pay for his own mistake.

10. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Yep, it's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt. ;)

It all depends on the agreement the equipment owner has with the band. I kind of like the 50-50 repair cost scenario if this is just one of those "good ol' boy" arrangements where everyone is loaning whatever gear they have for the mutual use of the band. It seems to fit in your case.

I have a full PA system that I use on the gig sometimes. Yes, things wear out and break on occasion. If my PA broke I would probably suck up the repair cost as long as no one in the band was abusing it, or had some kind of accident with it, or broke something through carelessness. In any case I'm sure the guys I work with would offer to help cover the cost anyway.

Talk it over. I'm sure you can work out something equitable. It's just the cost of doing business. You might even be able to pick up a used piece of gear cheaper than it would cost to repair it. Just a thought.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

11. mcnaughb

mcnaughb

Apr 27, 2012
    There has never really been an official agreement; there probably should be though. I own most of the of the PA but this piece wasn't mine, so I have a skewed viewpoint. No one charges the band for rental, like I said its a hobby.

Thanks for all of your input. I'm sure the band will chip in for the repair gratefully.

12. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Yes, the band should pitch in and cover the repair or replacement...that is the right thing to do...
    I suspect you already knew this.

deathsdj likes this.
  13. headband

headband

Oct 18, 2013
    Lake Havasu City
    +1!

14. Loud and Clear

Loud and Clear

Jul 2, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    Pro Gear Manager, Loud and Clear, Inc.
    Sound gear breaks, repairs are just part of the game. It doesn't have to be abused to fail, stuff just wears out; some weeks we recone a couple dozen woofers alone, and rarely was the person at the helm at fault when they failed.
    All part of the joy of live sound, no room for playing the blame game. ;)

15. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    The guy(s) who most wants the monitor working again will pay for it. It might be the owner, it might be the singer, it might be the guy who normally stands in front of it, or it might be the whole band.

If I were in the gear owner's place, I'd fix or replace it ASAP if I had enough money available. If I didn't have the money, the band would not be enjoying its use until somebody dug into their pockets & helped out. Whomever thinks it's important enough will find a way.