Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who played bass for crosby stills and nash in the 60s?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Mar 1, 2001.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey anyone know who played bass with crosby stills and nash back in the 60s? He was awsome! Love the bass lines in woodstock!

2. I am speculating, based on a book a barely read a while ago, but I think in their recordings, Stills actually played the bass. At least in a lot of the songs.

Anyone can feel free to correct me.

FF

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...Calvin "Fuzzy" Samuels?

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Dallas Taylor?

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Bruce Palmer. The reason I know is because the lead guitarist in my band at that time was really into them and owned the best equipment, so I had to learn his lines (such as they were). I think Jim Messina picked it up for a little while before Gregory Reeves came around.

But album credits were kind of shaky back then. Lots of studio musicians were used without credit.

6. Dallas Taylor played drums

7. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Ooops....
    Actually it makes sense that Bruce Palmer played bass, since he was in Buffalo Springfield.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

On the first CSN album it says quite clearly that Stephen Stills played bass throughout - live they often played as just an acoustic guitar trio.

9. That's what I thought. Nice to know I that if I am crazy, I'm not all alone.

FF