Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who played bass for Elvis???

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Martha01, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Martha01

Martha01

Sep 20, 2002
    I mean the king......not costello.....

Elvis did many great songs and i think his musicians are much underrated there are some great guitarr and bass work and drums work on his songs. Can anyone tell me about who played for him.

I love his bass player in the late 60 like songs as In The Getto ........

Did they bass players play upright bass on his songs or was it regular basses??

2. Elvis' late-'60s bass work was done by the team of Tommy Cogbill and Mike Leech.

3. In some of the later "fat" Elvis years, it was Jerry Scheff, who also played for the other Elvis.

4. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Don't forget Bill Black and Jerry Scheff who played live. I'm sure there were others too. Black was with him in the early days on upright and Scheff was there in the late 60's and early 70's playing electric. I never really knew who all played in the studio. If you want to hear some great bass playing, get the "Aloha from Hawaii" disc. Whew!

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Jerry Scheff did alot of work on the live stuff for Elvis

6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

You can"t forget the man who pretty much helped invent rockabllily.

AJ

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I see in Duck Dunn's credits, that he played with Elvis too. Don't know which songs though.
    Yeah, I love the live stuff with Jerry Scheff on bass.

8. I believe Emory Gordy Jr was in the last version of the TCB band.
    Bill black played upright bass on all the Sun recordings, and on the RCA ones up to Jailhouse Rock, on which he reluctantly played a Fender. He left soon after.
    To hear some fabulous Presley, and Bill Black, check out an album called The Sun Sessions.