Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who played bass for the O'Jays "For the Love of Money"?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Flatwound, Mar 9, 2001.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I was just listening to the extended, "disco" version of this tune, and the bass line is really killer. Not really technically dazzling on the order of Jaco or something, but just perfect for the song. Also, the phase shifter is cool as well.

Anybody know who did it?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Anthony Jackson (session, Al DiMeola, Eyewitness, Simon Phillips, and countless other's, e.g. Chaka Khan), bass legend and six-string bass pioneer. Still going strong after recovering from a stroke...

http://www.lucaspickford.com/transajgrooves.htm

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wow, I didn't know AJ had a stroke(I had noticed his weight is down). Hope he's doing well.
    The Eyewitness albums w/ Steve Khan(& Dennis Chambers/Steve Jordan)will always be some of my favorite stuff.
    AJ's playing on Steely Dan's Gaucho album("My Rival" & "Glamour Profession")...killer. Also, his stuff with Michel Camillo; & the Trio Live In Tokyo album with Michel Petrucciani & Steve Gadd.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Loosing (a lot of!) weight was actually a part of the recovery process. I read an interview a while back in which he tells about this. Unfortunately I can't remember where....

5. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    So that was Anthony Jackson. The bass is pretty much the lead instrument, and defines the whole song. They picked the right guy, that's for sure.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Saw AJ at Bass Day 2000, looked good. Haven't heard anything recent from him but the Camilo CDs stay in my changer.

7. AJ is the MAN! His work on DiMeola's Elegant Gypsy is awesome--it's rock-solid, but dances around enough to be interesting. Plus, the fast unison passages in "Race With the Devil on Spanish Highway" are the absolute bomb.

8. FunkmastaJ

FunkmastaJ

Feb 1, 2001
    Seattle WA
    He was able to persuade the label (or whoevr) or give him writing credits on that song.

9. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    GET THE TAB SOMEONE!!!!!

10. you can't tab that song, it nothing but groove and feeling. the main part is about 4 notes but you could spend a lifetime perfecting it to AJ's level of feel.

11. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Man, I heard that! His time and feel is incredible in that song. It's mostly root-octave-dominant seventh, with a few fills, but it's still amazing.

12. Yep, I've spent upwards of two hours at a time just working on those first four bars. Man, what GROOVE! Any guy who can go effortlessly from that to DiMeola is the MAN in my book.

13. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Did the O' Jays write 'who's that lady'? , Im not sure but I like that track. Any1 know?

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The Isley Brothers did "Who's That Lady".