Who played bass on "Ain't no stoppin' us now"?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Mar 10, 2002.

1. McFadden & Whitehead- Ain't no stoppin us now.

funky bassline- sounds like a P bass- Freddie Washington perhaps?

another disco one- Disco Inferno?

Skeelo - I wish - sampled bassline?
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I still have that McFadden & Whitehead album...
    I just looked-
    Bass: James Williams.
    (Is he the guy that would put peanut butter on his flatwounds & then hang 'em in a closet for year prior to stringing them on his bass?).

The tune & record, if I recall, reminds me of the vibe/tone on "Bad Love" by Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes.

If you're asking about "I Wish"...that's Nathan Watts. BTW, this line sounds killer(IMO) when played UP an octave with an octaver(e.g. EBS Octabass pedal). ;)

Not sure about The Trammps' tune...
  3. :) thanks.

I'll check out "bad love" too.

Nathan Watts- the guy who played for Stevie Wonder?
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, do check out "Bad Love"!

Yes, too, to Nathan Watts...were you asking about "I Wish" or not?
    It's from Stevie's Songs In The Key Of Life...a classic album(check out "Contusion" from that album).
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The great and greatly under-rated Ronnie Baker plays bass on "Bad Love" and a lotta the other TSOP stuff.
  6. sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    I read in BP that Ronnie Baker put butter on his
    flatwounds. He had a lot of great lines on that
    '70s Philly stuff.
  7. I couldn't find "Bad love" on Audiogalaxy, only "bad luck" which doesn't sound very similar.

er, yeah, I was asking about Skeelo's "I wish"- I suspected it was a sample, but not yet another one from Songs in the key of life:eek:- that must be one of the most sampled albums ever, together with Chic/Chic Organisation-produced artists' albums.
    I'll have to buy that album.

another disco one- who played on "and the beat goes on" by The Whispers?
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...dammit, it is "Bad Luck" by Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes.
    I'm surprised Brad J didn't admonish me for that!

Anyway, IMO, the whole TSOP scene hadda similar vibe(McFadden & Whitehead, Harold Melvin, O'Jays, etc).
  9. um, just to clarify, I meant "I wish" by Skeelo- the rap song -"I wish I was a little bit taller, wish I was a baller etc."

the bassline is C, G#, D#, octave G# with vibrato, then the pattern moves down a fret, then back up.

it's slapped as well towards the end.
  10. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    :eek: WOW!! Yeah I remember that, I used to love the little bit of vibrato near the end of the pattern..great tone as well big, fat wobbly bassline.

while we're on the subject anyone know who played the original bassline on the original song which was used as a sample (phew) for will smiths "Miami" song.
  11. the sample is from "and the beat goes on" by The Whispers.
    dunno who the bass player was.
    it's a similar line to "ain't no stoppin us now".
  12. here's another one- who played on "Back together again" by Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway?

I've seen Marcus Miller and Chuck Rainey credited on their stuff- I'm guessing it was Marcus Miller?

the main line is fingerstyle, and there are overdubbed slap fills.
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've been working on my "problem" ;)
  14. fender4

Mar 22, 2002
    Great board! I just found it today, and this is my first post.

"Skee Lo - I Wish" sampled "Bernard Wright - Spinnin". That line starts around 2.5 minutes into the song. It's really cool.

15. sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    Welcome, fender4! Thanks for the info.
  16. thanks fender4:)

I did a search on Bernard Wright and found this excellent site;

lots of info about various funk + disco artists (lots on Chic:)), plus mp3/realplayer snippets.
    according to them, it looks like Marcus Miller played on Bernard Wright's tracks- it does sound like a jazz bass in the slap section of the bass sample on "I wish".
  17. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    No problema!
    Someone has got to keep me in line around here...
  18. mflaherty

mflaherty Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    As long as we are back in the day, does anyone know who played bass on Thelma Houston's "Don't leave me this way"?
  19. some Motown stuff-
    Four Tops- "same old song"- was that James Jamerson? or Bob Babbitt etc. ?
    the bassline makes the song.
    studying it, it seems like the whole line is played in the first position.

I found the track that DeeLite sampled for "groove is in the heart"- it's the instrumental "bring down the birds" by Herbie Hancock.
    the bass tone suggests a pick on flatwounds- Carol Kaye?
  20. just found the answer to one question- "bring down the birds" is from Herbie Hancock's soundtrack to "Blow up"- http://www.enter.net/~rainsong/gbblowup.html

-Ron Carter listed as bassist.
    therefore Bootsy Collins' credit on "Groove is in the heart" must be for vocals ("astronomical!" and "watch out!") only.