Who Played bass on Taxman and Drive my Car??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nicklas, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Nicklas

Mar 15, 2003
  2. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    That is George on "Drive my car". I'm not sure who played bass on Taxman. I always thought that it was Paul, but again, I'm not sure.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm fairly certain that Paul played the guitar solo on Taxman, at least.
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Nope...Paul played guitar!

Yup, Paul plays the solo too.

I'd say it was George because he was a better player than John. That bassline has some hard licks.
  5. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    In recent interview ( don't remember where I read it ) Paul also stated that he played drums on it as well.
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Paul definitely took the guitar solo on "Taxman"...in an interview from Guitar Player mag, Harrison said he received many compliments on that solo; then he had to mention(under his breath)-
    "...that was Paul".
    (McCartney was a huge Hendrix fan; the "Taxman" solo has a sorta/quasi-Indian vibe to it...to me, it still sounds pretty modern).

IMO, Paul is also playing bass on "Taxman".
    I know there's those here who say it was John...no one can point to where they've heard/read/seen that, though.
    I know John is playing bass on "Back In The USSR" & "Long & Winding Road". IMO, it's a different feel on "Taxman" vs. those 2 tunes.
    IMO, the bass sounds/feels too much like Paul to not be Paul.

As far as Harrison-
    Man, he wrote some cool s*** for The Beatles.
    That Indian tune("Within You, Without You") on Sgt. Peppers...happenin'!.
    Too bad "Not Guilty" didn't make it onto The Beatles(White Album)...check it out on Anthology 3.
    Kudos to George for, perhaps, the 'best' post-Beatles' album-
    All Things Must Pass
  7. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    McCartney played bass on both Taxman and Drive My Car. At least, according to Revolution In The Head by Ian MacDonald.

I'd have to listen again to Drive My Car, but going from memory, Taxman sounds very much like Paul, and I've no reason to believe it's anyone but him.

And yes, the Taxman solo was definitely Paul.

Blackbird - I don't know if you were, but don't assume that just because Paul plays guitar on Taxman, that one of the others is playing bass ;) The guitar was probably overdubbed. By 1966, they weren't recording the whole band at once, they were overdubbing. They probably recorded bass, drums, and (rhythm) guitar at once, and overdubbed the rest.

JimK - Right on about "Not Guilty". IMO, it's much better than one of George's songs that did get onto the White Album - "Savoy Truffle".
  8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    well paul played everything in "why don't we do it in the road." including vocals..a great song...and the taxman is paul all over

paul played drums on the first couple tracks of the white album. thats when ringo quit....

and on the 1 st album. ringo only played the tamborine. they hired a studio drummer to play drums for a couple of songs....i guess they wanted to see how he was.... :meh:

9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I know George Martin wanted to use Andy White(session drummer)...it is White, I think, on "Love Me Do"(Ringo may have only played tambourine on this track; "Love Me Do" was The Beatles' 1st 'record'/single).
    White can also be heard on the Anthology I disc playing "Please, Please Me"(the drumming is a little more 'energetic' than the version found on the album/single).
    I believe it was Ringo playing on the 1st album(the Please, Please me album).
    ...maybe I can verify that with St. Peter(eventually).

BTW, there are more than a few out there who claim it's Bernard Purdie on everything!
  10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    hehe..cool. yes ringo did play tamborune on love love me do. im glad to see other major beatles fans.

does anyone knows johns band name before beatles? how about the beatles first name before coming the beatles..and how did they come up with the name beatles?

*jepordy theme*
    the answers after these commercials...

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

In retro-spect, this may be. Very similar style to "Back in the USSR", "Lady Madonna", "Oh-bla-Di Obla-Da", "Martha-My Dear", which is Paul on drums as well. McCartney played drums on alot of his own tunes. Paul's drum style is distinguishable from Ringo's. If one listens, you can hear the differences.

It's definitely Paul on the Bass. Mighty fine! "Taxman" has all the right ingredients that make a simple idea a great song.
  12. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    if you watch the revolution video you can see george mouth "johns sounds like s***"

trivia..any body know?

13. Oh come on, guys! Give credit where credit is due! It was Carol Kaye on both "Taxman" and "Drive my Car"... not to mention "Roundabout"!

P.S. Sorry to dredge this one up... it practically wrote itself.
  14. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Man on a flaming pie... :D

They wanted something with two meanings - like crickets (Buddy Holly). So they came up with Beatles - when you hear it it's little crawly things, when you read it it's beat music.
  15. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    This is rich-
    I watching the "Special Features" DVD of The Beatles Anthology set...Ringo, Paul, & George are talking with George Martin about "Golden Slumbers".
    The tune starts-
    Martin asks Paul, "Who is playing the bass since you're playing piano"?
    Paul doesn't know & shrugs it off.
    Ringo & especially George answer that "Paul overdubbed the bass".
    (I'm shaking my head in agreement).

Martin keeps asking "Who's playing bass"?
    Paul now looks absolutely befuddled...George insists it's Paul overdubbing the bass(I'm still agreeing).

Martin says "Yeah, but this take is LIVE?!
    (i.e. no overdubs)
    George then adds that both John & he played a 6-string Fender bass when the opportunity presented itself...like here.

16. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Crop holy guacamole,

My son's got the whole DVD set, with the extra 5 hours, now I''m gonna have to watch the whole thing.

See you next week...

17. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I bought the DVD set the day it came out...I'm only now getting to the Bonus stuff.

As Martin cues up "Golden Slumbers", George asks, "What album is this from"?
    The other 3, in unison, answer(in almost disbelief) "Abbey Road"!
    One of them(I think Ringo) sez-
    "The world renown Beatles' scholar, ladies & gentlemen, Mr. George Harrison"!
  18. AZJim

AZJim Guest

May 24, 2010
    Weird, but I'm gonna dredge up a 7 year old thread here. New to this forum, but certainly not to bass playing, for money (since 83), and Beatlesology (since 64).

<< I know John is playing bass on "Back In The USSR" & "Long & Winding Road" >>
    It's definitely John playing the Fender VI on LWR, but USSR is even weirder. Mark Lewisohn's first book, p. 151: He quotes EMI engineer Ken Scott talking about when Ringo quit: "But the work continued. They did "Back in the USSR" with what I seem to recall is a composite drum track of bits and pieces, possibly with all of the other three playing drums." Lewisohn then says, "Scott's recollection is largely confirmed by the original session tapes, for although as the early takes reveal Paul as the session drummer on the basic track, two more drum tracks were later overdubbed, conceivably while Paul was engaged playing other instruments.

And more germane to us bass players: "And the song was also a composite recording in other ways, with three bass guitar parts, played by John, Paul, and George, respectively, and both Paul and George playing lead guitar."

This is what makes it really hard to hear/isolate "a" (as in ONE) bass part on this, i.e. as if you wanted to play it "just like the record." It's impossible to play it just like the record, because the final bass "part" that we hear is a mish-mash of, my guess is George, John and then finally Paul (at 4am when no one was looking) going back and punching in bits and pieces here and there. So, if we want to play bass on this live, and your goal is to get close to the record (my intent since I'm in a Beatles cover band), the task is to come up with a playable approximation of this weirdness.

<< "and on the 1 st album. ringo only played the tamborine. they hired a studio drummer to play drums for a couple of songs..." >>
    Wow, don't know how these things get started, but really, the WHOLE first album??? No, ONLY that song, Love Me Do, Ringo played on all the rest of the album. Actually, Ringo was on the ALBUM version of Love Me Do, playing tambourine. The SINGLE version had no tambourine, i.e. no Ringo. And yes, as noted, the first demo of Please Please Me (on Anthology 1) had Andy White on drums. But the only officially released song where Ringo was replaced was Love Me Do.

<< In retro-spect, this may be. Very similar style to "Back in the USSR", "Lady Madonna", "Oh-bla-Di Obla-Da", "Martha-My Dear", which is Paul on drums as well. McCartney played drums on alot of his own tunes. >>
    Hmm, well not sure what you mean by a lot (alot?). Only a couple during the Beatles, many more post-breakup. "Lady Madonna" and "Ob-La-Di..." are definitely Ringo on drums. Martha is Paul.

<< "Oh come on, guys! Give credit where credit is due! It was Carol Kaye on both "Taxman" and "Drive my Car"... not to mention "Roundabout"!" >>
    Yeah, I love it! And all the guitars were played by Tommy Tedesco.

The whole Bernard Purdie thing...amazing that people believe and/or elaborate on some small kernel of truth. I first heard it (again being a Beatlemaniiac from 2/9/64) when I was in college in the early 80s. Some of my jazz majoring cohorts were saying stuff to the effect that "Bernard Purdie played on all the early stuff," or even into the later stuff -- the implication of course being that Ringo sucked. Only years later figured out where it came from. The Beatles, with PETE BEST, made a few tracks backing an English singer Tony Sheridan while they were in Hamburg, very early on, in 61. Nothing happened to any of the tracks until, of course, they became famous. At that point, someone in NY got the nights to the Sheridan tapes, maybe only one or two of the songs ("Ain't She Sweet" with John singing, I think, maybe "My Bonnie" also) and decided to release them in the States to cash in. But they thought the overall groove wasn't heavy enough to sound similar to, say "I Wanna Hold Your Hand," etc. so they got Purdie to overdub some tracks on top of Pete Best's drumming. And the next thing you know, everyone's saying Ringo never played on such-and-such, blah blah blah. (I also think that over the years Purdie may have somehow "helped" in the evolution of the story...who could blame him?)

Of course, especially relevant to us bassists, with Beatles stuff there's not only the question of who played bass on what, but WHICH bass. Paul got his Rik bass in late August of 65, so that means that from Rubber Soul on, it could be the Rik, not the Hofner. Except for when there are pictures showing one or the other. And even then, some were promo pics and/or lip-synchs, where it wouldn't be impossible for him to be holding the bass he didn't actually plays on the record.
  19. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Years ago, I used to hang out at a certain Jazz site...there was this Bernard Purdie/Beatles cabal & no matter what...you would never be able to convince them otherwise. ;)
    Do you recall Branford Marsalis' opinion on Ringo's drumming? IIRC, "...he couldn't swing if he was hangin'".

Wow...nice post.
  20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It was the cartoon Ringo who played drums when Ringo wasn't around.