Who played bass on The Carpenters hits?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Fender32, Apr 29, 2007.

1. david osborn

david osborn

Jul 5, 2018
    Louisiana
    Yeah, don't look..just play is how I got used to the 5. I took a four to jam with my buddy Tim Marshall a few times recently.
    It's just the two of us and we have both been in hiding from the plague, no gigs at the moment.

He said I play differently on four strings.
    I think it's because of my dads influence.
    Same technique, posture and position of right hand, flats and a pick. On the 5 I get more chordal and the 4 is more one note at a time. He said he hears my Dads playing inside my playing.

Of course this is the same guy that said playing with me is like having carpeting.
    I've been called many things and now I'm carpet... Oh well, could be worse.

Oddly, R&B, JimK and 16 others like this.
  2. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Chuck Girard - Chuck Girard

I listened to this album a lot in college. I just found out today that (according to this discogs.com credits listing) Joe played on it. I had no idea!

david osborn likes this.
  3. laklandplayer

laklandplayer Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2001
    USA - Memphis, TN
    Early on, a lot of the top Nashville guys used to work these Christian dates but then the record companies didn't want to run the sessions thru the Union anymore or pay into the AFM pension fund (which is standard on all Union sessions) so they quit doing them. Now the sessions now are mostly self contained acts or they use in house non union players. Personally, I can't listen to this stuff anymore having played a church gig for 30 years, they've really lowered the bar.

david osborn and WayneP like this.
  4. ak56

ak56 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    According to 1975 Chuck Girard - Chuck Girard Joe played on two tracks on that album, "You Ask Me Why", and "Evermore".

I originally found this information on another website, but I just stumbled across the sessiondays.com website now. There's a lot of info on there. When I find time to start going through it in more detail, my Spotify playlist is going to grow some more.

david osborn and trothwell like this.
  5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Nice credits on that album...the guys from Ambrosia, Keltner, Dean Parks! & David Paich from Toto.
    How's it sound?

WayneP, MonetBass and david osborn like this.
  6. david osborn

david osborn

Jul 5, 2018
    Louisiana
    Very cool! That's another one I didn't know about. Dad was on a fair bit of Christian music. Second Chapter of Acts, punch, the Downings, Larry Norman, Mike and Kathy Deasy and others.
    FYI...
    The layout guy, Dean Torrence is Dean of Jan and Dean. He and I have been emailing recently and sharing family photos. He's agreeable to writing a bit about Joe O. As they were longtime friends and worked together on more Jan and Dean than I knew about.

Thanks for the info on Chuck G.
    A fresh rabbit hole!

7. I had the LP back in the day, and found it on CD last year for a fresh listen. Unfortunately, the overall sound quality is nothing to write home about and many of the arrangements are overly “busy.” But the musicianship is great of course, and most of the songs are really good with great melody lines.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ecclesia: Unique Arrangements of Hymns, P&W Standards, and Original Tunes
    Administrator, Pedulla Club #45
    Administrator, Tobias Club #133
    Fretless Club #943
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Rig: Stage and FOH Friendly
    My Basses

JimK likes this.
  8. Joe also did Barry McGuire’s excellent “Seeds” album, one of my favorites.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Fretless Club #943
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Basses

9. david osborn

david osborn

Jul 5, 2018
    Louisiana
    The seeds album contained the anti war anthem "Eve of Destruction" which was a huge radio success for Barry. If you've never heard it, its worth a listen.

JimK, JimmyM, Michael4bass and 5 others like this.
  10. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz Commercial User

Aug 3, 2020
    Atlanta, GA
    I am a semi-professional musician
    Joe Osborn also played bass on a lot of Simon and Garfunkel albums.

My parents bought me a vinyl copy of Angel Clare for Christmas recently. I always loved his bass playing on All I Know.

david osborn and Prof.Dr.Metz like this.
  11. david osborn

david osborn

Jul 5, 2018
    Louisiana
    My dad took me with him to San Fransisco to watch sessions for Angel Clare.
    We stayed at a hotel that survived the big earthquake in the early 1900's. It was the Fairmont, I'm pretty sure.

Art had Hal Blaine, Joe Osborn, Larry Knetchtel and guitarist Shawn Phillips there and it was a super low pressure feel to the whole thing. Art is a true gentleman, the kindest soft spoken, authentic man...
    The kind you meet once or twice in a lifetime. He was also very funny with a quick wit that worked well with Hal's joke telling.
    At a point I recall Art telling Larry the piano should be like butterflies....ok.
    Then Art says The butterflies need to be fatter...fat butterflies?...well ok.
    It really got funny sometimes.

One night Shawn was doing guitar overdubs, Art was beat and I was ready to go so we rode together in a rented car back to the hotel after a quick stop at a little store. Art could rent anything he wants, he could have rented a Porsche but he got a station wagon. It's a testament to his humble nature, and healthy ego.
    Art, I hope you are happy wherever you are.

JimK, WayneP, Michael4bass and 15 others like this.
  12. Dave, it’s got to be a warm feeling to encounter your Dad’s music and his admirers everywhere you go in life. Thanks once more for hanging with us here!

JimK, ak56, ElectroVibe and 3 others like this.
  13. david osborn

david osborn

Jul 5, 2018
    Louisiana
    It's still hard for me to listen to some of the music dad's on, and only musician friends know of Joe Osborn...most folks have never heard of him.
    I accidentally found tb forum about 4 months before my father died. This community has been a blessing in my life.
    It's a well spring of support and warm feelings. It's been a little more than 2 years since dad left this world, and I'm doing much better. Having friends at tb forum is a big part of my getting better. You guys are amazing and I feel fortunate to be a small part of tb forum. Hanging with tb forum.... The pleasure is all mine.

Marihino, JimK, Oddly and 18 others like this.
  14. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

The under the radar cool part is how many millions of people your Dad touched, got their toes tapping and butts wiggling, gave them joy and tugged at their heartstrings even without a them knowing who he was.
    He was a gift to all regardless of how many people knew his name.

JimK, ak56, ElectroVibe and 8 others like this.
  15. laklandplayer

laklandplayer Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2001
    USA - Memphis, TN
    Were you guys still living in LA or had you moved to Dickson?

16. david osborn

david osborn

Jul 5, 2018
    Louisiana
    Still in LA. It's only about a 55 minute flight to San Francisco from LAX. They worked from about 11:00 am until they were worn out for a week.

I saw something new to me one of those nights. Shawn Phillips the guitar player, a tall guy..blond hair down to his waist. He was from Norway or maybe Sweden. He was playing a double neck Gibson and he had the 12 string neck on, all the way up.. but played the six string neck turned off. This caused the strings on the 12 neck to ring from sympathetic vibration in the guitar. It was an erie haunting sound. I still remember that I thought it was way cool, never saw that before.
    I learned more that week than I would have at school that week to be sure..

JimK, Oddly, MonetBass and 6 others like this.
  17. dieselman

dieselman Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Yacolt, Wa.
    G.O.F. #123 T Bird Club #692
    In looking at his Bio for Shawn Phillips he is from Fort Worth Texas.

david osborn and jerry like this.
  18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

NBC’s Brian Williams says he did that and the solo on Jimi’s Slight Return.

19. charlie44

charlie44

Sep 17, 2015
    Amazing bass player !!!

Prof.Dr.Metz likes this.
  20. David, there are so many “oldie” songs I can hear and go, “Joe Osborn on bass.” Don’t even need to check the credits. I can’t honestly say I can identify any other bass player solely on his sound.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Fretless Club #943
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Basses

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021