Who played bass on The Carpenters hits?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Fender32, Apr 29, 2007.

1. david osborn

david osborn

Jul 5, 2018
    Louisiana
    You wouldn't know he was a Texan by taking to him. He sounded like a Brit crossed with a Swede. He did live in many other countries besides the U.S.
    I looked at his website, definitely the same guy. Good info, thanks.

Michael4bass and dieselman like this.
  2. dieselman

dieselman Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Yacolt, Wa.
    G.O.F. #123 T Bird Club #692
    I spent a lot of time listening to his Music in the 70's.

IMMusicRulz and david osborn like this.
  3. david osborn

david osborn

Jul 5, 2018
    Louisiana
    The guy was super nice and answered all the questions I had.
    I was 17 years old at the time.
    A lot of guys of his stature would have said "I'm busy". I had no idea he was a solo artist, not just a hired gun guitarist.
    Interesting stuff, thanks again.

Michael4bass and JimK like this.
  4. dieselman

dieselman Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Yacolt, Wa.
    G.O.F. #123 T Bird Club #692
    You Have been Very Fortunate to have the teaching and influence in your life. Many good people out there for sure.

5. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz Commercial User

Aug 3, 2020
    Atlanta, GA
    I am a semi-professional musician
    Joe Osborn also played bass on the song Before My Heart Finds Out by Gene Cotton. I love that song. I found out about it because it was on a K-Tel record I bought at a yard sale recently.

R&B likes this.
  6. Bad Bob

Bad Bob Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2020
    Niskayuna, New York.
    To David Osborn - I and many others have been reading and enjoying your posts in this forum. I extend an invitation to you to join Bassists of the 60s Club - a separate forum, but you certainly would be a coveted member and valuable resource to those of us who revere your dad, and would love to learn more or at least convey what he meant to so many of us. C’mon over!

7. david osborn

david osborn

Jul 5, 2018
    Louisiana
    Awesome! Another one I didn't know about. I found two CDs in dads stuff by Bobby Bridgers, and dad is on all of it.
    I had never heard of Bobby. He has a website but the email addresses and phone number doesn't work, I'm not sure he's still with us. He is a Texan and his website is a good read and the music is good too. Thanks for the Gene Cotton, another rabbit hole that will surely lead to others.
    Dave O.

8. laklandplayer

laklandplayer Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2001
    USA - Memphis, TN
    The Gene Cotton stuff is great. You should check out the record Joe did with Parker McGee, there is a sappy tune called "Angel Dancing" on the record but Joe sounds incredible on it, he rescued the tune. Joe worked a lot with a producer named Kyle Lehning in Nashville and did some great sessions for him.

Ronzo, david osborn and IMMusicRulz like this.
  9. david osborn

david osborn

Jul 5, 2018
    Louisiana
    I remember Kyle, and I will research Parker as well. I'm not sure but I think Kyle produced Dotty West too. I did a few demos for her son Moe, short for Morris I think. Moe was shopping his stuff to Kyle, I don't think anything happened with it. The bass player on those demos, Charlie Anderson got the gig with Reba after she lost much of her road band in that tragic disaster years ago. Charlie, it would be great to hear from you.

I have dads date books from the Nashville years and Kyle is on a lot of pages, but unfortunately for me it's just what time, what studio and Kyle, no artist is mentioned but the internet will help.
    The list which appeared in vintage guitar was my first attempt at a discography but it was before the internet was born.
    Pete, thanks again for all of the help you've sent my way.
    Dave O.

Michael4bass, GregC, JimK and 4 others like this.
  10. laklandplayer

Jul 10, 2001
    USA - Memphis, TN
    Dave, feel free to reach out to me. I know Kyle (he has a jazz trio called the Leonard Small Project) and then Dave Hungate did a lot of work for Kyle after Joe moved back to Louisiana. I'm sure we can contact them and get info to help you fill in the blanks. Like me, they loved Joe and would help I'm sure. Hope you are safe, well and covid free.

ak56, Joshua, GregC and 1 other person like this.
  11. david osborn

david osborn

Jul 5, 2018
    Louisiana
    Man, that would be great! Just knowing which artists Kyle produced shows me where to research, especially when multiple bass players are credited.

I have been emailing with Marshall Morgan and he was super nice and guided me to the artists he had Joe on. I knew Dad was on some Dirt Band but Marshall put me on the exact albums.
    Any info on the artists Kyle used Joe on will show me where to dig.
    A lot of what I'm finding never charted but it shows the massive amount of published recordings he contributed to.

I'm currently looking at the First National Band. I think he's on a cut called
    "Listen to the band" but I don't yet have documentation on any of it, just listening at the moment.

My front line medical wife and myself are ok so far and we got the Moderna, will get second one on the 23rd. No side effects at all, injection site mildly sore for a day.
    I hope I can soon leave my hermit life behind.
    Thank you my friend for all of the help you've sent my way, really appreciate it.
    Dave O.

Lowendtech, ak56, JimK and 5 others like this.
  12. I was just looking online to see if I could find who is listed on that cut (National Band, Listen to the band) and figured I'd check out the Monkee's version too but Norbert Putnum played on their studio recording of it but did find 5 tunes he played for the Monkees which is probably not news to anyone:

Valleri
    P.O. Box 9847
    A Man Without a Dream
    You and I
    Someday Man

I used to really like the tune 'Joanne' by The First National Band

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Ronzo, JimmyM and dangevans like this.
  13. dangevans

dangevans

Mar 26, 2014
    Looks like pretty much most, if not all of the "Instant Replay" album.
    Someday Man is a killer killer bass line!

ahc, bobyoung53 and JimmyM like this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Ya, Valleri was terrific, too. Could do without PO Box 9847, but the others are good stuff.

ahc, Ronzo and bobyoung53 like this.
  15. dangevans

dangevans

Mar 26, 2014
    True! Also, I see that Peter Tork (really not a slouch as a musician!) and Max Bennett (who is also a boss) played on some tracks on that album.

16. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz Commercial User

Aug 3, 2020
    Atlanta, GA
    I am a semi-professional musician
    Peter Cetera Of Chicago actually admitted that Joe Osborn was one of his favorite bass players.

Sure, a lot of people think that Peter Cetera is a bad singer, but he is actually more talented than you think. And a great bass player

bobyoung53, TomB, GregC and 3 others like this.
  17. laklandplayer

Jul 10, 2001
    USA - Memphis, TN
    Cetera is a major pick player and I'm sure Joe inspired that sound, listen to the early Chicago records.
    He is a marvelous singer and yes, great bass player too, and all at the same time. I can't even talk to someone while I'm playing, let alone sing. Cetera doesn't get the respect that he deserves in my opinion.

bobyoung53, WayneP, JimK and 9 others like this.
  18. laklandplayer

Jul 10, 2001
    USA - Memphis, TN
    Dave, send me your contact info offline so I can get it to Hungate and Kyle.

19. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Bill Cowsill (the oldest brother in the band) of the Cowsills has talked about his younger brother Barry's natural talent on bass guitar.

An interesting question to me is, since the Partridge Family was based on the Cowsills, I wonder if Joe Osborn ever listened to their music in order to get a feel for that style? Maybe incorporating some of that style into the music for the show?

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    IMHO, The Partridge Family falls into the same sub-genre as...The Cowsills, The Beach Boys, The Association, The Monkees, Mama & The Papas, Spanky & The Gang, The Grassroots, The 5th Dimension, et al..."Sunshine Pop".
    Pretty prevalent in that era. Pre-dates the Partidges...the Wrecking Crew were already on it. :)
    Sunshine pop - Wikipedia

bobyoung53 and ElectroVibe like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021