1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

who played bass on the early ice cube records?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by danharris, Mar 24, 2013.

1. like the title suggests, who played bass on the early ice cube records? early 90's priority records, Amerikkks Most Wanted through to Lethal Injection.

2. chee666

chee666

Jul 24, 2008
    NYC
    A Computer.

3. This, or a keyboard.

4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I think that most if not all of it was sampled. Any tracks in particular?

Check out whosampled for a list of all the material that he and his producers put together:

http://www.whosampled.com/artist/Ice Cube/

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest

:)

6. sorry gents, but "a computer" is a punk answer.

btw "who sampled it" is a great resource for tracking down samples and what came from who and when.. i use it all the time.

i have found the answer on my own but feel that i need to enlighten some of you. i was actually quite surprised with those replies. like im some kind of chump that can't tell the difference between a midi trigger and a p-bass.
    i'm not going to argue that many many many bass lines from this era were sampled from old james brown, parliament and the like, but there are countless examples of uncredited session musicians whose groove would put most of you to shame.

hmmm.... uncredited session musicians. must have been some no name looser like james jamerson.

here are a couple examples off the top of my head.
    Too Short (almost)never sampled basslines. Up till Shorty The Pimp, it was all done on 808's and midi keyboards. Get In Where You Fit In and Cocktails was all live bass played by Shorty B. check out the bass on the cocktails title track. cant handle Shorts lyrics... heres the instrumental

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNEZsQAhBAk

Souls Of Mischief - From 93 Till Infinity album was all done live on a double bass.
    Digable Planets' records were done with a live band too.
    whos that gospel chick...Deborah Killings. not only does she have 3 or 4 successful solo gospel albums under her belt as a lead bassist and vocalist. But shes done over a hundred records with everyone from Funkadellic to Jay Z, doing everything from singing, writing, arranging, and ...the jazz snobs will never guess.......playing bass.

never mind. ill keep my secrets secret... as for anyone looking for the answer for that bassist on the early ice cube records...

It was a guy named Al "Purple" Hayes. apparently he also did records with Mobb Deep, Babyface, Shabba Ranks, and Slick Rick.

7. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I'm a huge hip hop fan, let me tell you on TB people are going to be douches towards that style of music do to lack of general knowledge.

Sad, but it is what it is.

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I agree but I think many bass players are angry that Hip Hop tends to not use live bass players and even though many songs use session musicians the majority of the songs do not and then there's the whole sampling people's music and not paying for it thing that opened up a can of worms with many musicians. I love old school Hip Hop but I'm not a huge fan of today's rap music.

9. I actually like hip hop. :bawl:

10. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I actually really like one of the albums during this period. Death Certificate was recently released remastered and it was what I was listening to for a solid week nonstop just a month or two ago. I don't recall a lot of basslines outside of the samples, but they may have slipped by me.

11. Modulus1906

Modulus1906 Supporting Member

May 5, 2009
    That bass on Cocktales is killin'. I loved it the first time I heard it when I was living in Seattle back in the day.

12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Wow. For someone lecturing others on being "punks" and "chumps", you sure do get your panties in a wad when opinions differ from yours. Your rant seems a bit "punkish" and "chumpish" as well. Don't lecture me on what I should or should not respect musically.

As for Deborah Killings (never heard of her.... I'm sure she's quite talented) how exactly can you play for Jesus one minute, and Jay Z the next? Talk about taking serving two masters to a whole new level!

13. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Another hip hop thread goign to %?&* on TB.
    Never saw that coming.....:eyebrow:

14. My job allows me to listen to music anywhere from 2 to 10 hours a day and almost every Friday is "Hip Hop Friday". I listen all day and my hip hop Pandora station rules. There are a lot of cool bass parts in hip hop... Some sampled, some not... My answer above was definitely not uninformed but in this case I was wrong.

15. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Yeah. If I flipped sh*t everytime I got a facetious answer to a question on TB I'd be in the Guiness book under the heading "Highest Recorded Blood Pressure".

As for the uncredited session musicians who are sure to put us to shame? You're on an anonymous internet forum, how do you know I'm not Charlie Haden?

You need to relax dude. You'll die young and disgruntled otherwise. PS. I'm not Charlie Haden.
    My favourite hip hop line is the obvious one - Good times by Bernie Edwards as used by the Sugar Hill Gang. I could be more generic but I don't know how to be.

16. i wasn't getting bent out of shape or trying to tell you who to respect musically (two fingers). what i thought was stupid was 3 out of 4 answers were made by people who had never heard these records. if they had, they would have either kept quiet because they didn't have an answer, or what i was hoping; was that someone who owned the cd could do me the favor of flipping open the booklet and glancing at the liner notes for me. it wasn't a big deal. but for 75% to just blow me off by saying "a computer" is kinda weak don't you think?

then that debra killings comment about serving two masters was classic. wow

wow

and yeah i know its an anonymous internet forum, so why give stupid answers. 666, did you just reply to troll? thats kinda what im thinking cause you probably dont have that cd on your shelf. keep rockin the ac/dc root notes in your bronco bro. whatever thats what i get for talkin about bass on a bass forum. im going to get back to playing instead of just talking about it.

oh yeah, tony green is awesome. death rows go to guy for low end through their golden years. he made it onto many good records, snoop dog, 2pac, dogg pound. i hope he made some money along the way.

17. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
  18. mackb12

mackb12 Supporting Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings
    Yep, back on point. A great resource for original samples used is KevinNottingham.com http://www.kevinnottingham.com/diggin-in-da-crates/
    Any guesses as to who would've played bass on Dead Prez "Let's Get Free" album?
    Tupac, that track is ridiculous. If that was a Death Row record, I may be able to find out who that was.

19. bmb73

bmb73

Aug 7, 2010
    San Diego
    Why are you taking it so personal? Lighten up, it's only an Internet forum

20. yesssss, what a classic.

heres some input, half of that album was prouduced by the late Johnny Jackson (johnny j) who did lots of sample/ loop based stuff and is responsible for some of 2pacs best beats. The other half was done by Delmar Arnaud (Daz). Skandlous was one of Daz's tracks. Skandlous was also one of the only tracks that has no samples what so ever.

now, T Money Green, worked at death row till 1995. all eyes on me came out in 96. you can hear similar bass work on warren g, nate dogg, and other death row albums and his wikipedia article says that he was credited as a musician on all eyes on me. but i cant find his name anywhere on the cd case. maybe he got his name erased when he quit working there before the record was released. he is also credited to working on countless death row recordings but i have yet to find a direct reference to working with daz. daz produced soooo many tracks on so many albums. did he have his own secret bass guy? probably not. i wonder what kind of work environment death row had, or what kind of work flow was "normal". i like to imagine lots of champagne and strippers, but there was probably a lot more hanging around a mixing board with headphones on.

any ways.. im putting my money on T Money Green.

im going to email him and ask. in the mean time im going to try to figure out that funky groove.