1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who played bass on the Grease sound track?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by So Low Bass, Mar 13, 2009.

1. (I don't know if this belongs here or "Bassists".)

The sound track has a lot of great playing. Who is it??

2. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I don't know, but I remember thinking how great the bass lines and tone was when I first heard them in the cinema as a young'un.

edited to add.

This from Wiki: Bass: Mike Porcaro, William David Hungate, Max Bennett, David Allen Ryan, Wm. J. Bodine, Dean Cortez, Harold Cowart

3. Would'e?

Would'e?

Mar 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Porcaro and Hungate don't surprise me at all. All of those Toto guys were "go to" studio musicians in L.A. at that time.

4. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Something tells me it was Carol Kaye. I just remember lots of nice chunky flatwound P w/pick tones on it!
    Have to look it up now . . .

5. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Yeah, Toto was the studio session guys superband at the time, for better or worse.

6. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Bass: Mike Porcaro, William David Hungate, Max Bennett, David Allen Ryan, Wm. J. Bodine, Dean Cortez, Harold Cowart

Wikipedia

7. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    Funny, I picked up the soundtrack just yesterday because I wanted to learn the many, many great bass lines on it :)

8. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ollie Brown on drums, I believe...

KO

9. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    What am I, chopped liver?

10. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    weird..for some reason i always thought the legendary Tommy Cogbill played bass on the grease sound track

or like most of these soundtracks a few bassists were used but I always thought Tommy played the bassline for "your the one that I want"

the bass tone on the recording just dosent scream porcaro or dave hungate to me.....Max Bennet maybe

hmm interesting