1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who played bass with Fontella Bass?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Alan Vorse, Mar 31, 2006.

1. I've always loved "Rescue Me" and just heard the song "Hold On This Time." Great bass playing all around. (What an appropriate name for an artist with so many great basslines).;)

2. From a bio of Fontella Bass at
    http://www.msu.edu/~andrycoc/fontella.html:

"The song featured a crack horn section led by soul tenor Gene Barge. It boasted heated call-and-response vocals, with Minnie Riperton among background singers. And it was driven by a crack rhythm section including drummer Maurice White (pre-Earth, Wind and Fire) and bassist Louis Satterfield, whose monster riffs are frequently credited with the song's success."

That's cred.

3. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
  4. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    Louis Satterfield is one unknown/underrated bassist. I first heard him on a Willie Dixon album. If he's good enough for Willie.......

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm pretty sure that Satterfield is (was?) a trombonist also. He did horn work with EWF in the 1970s. I've heard him play bass alse also, but I cannot think of any names.