Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who played on what?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by emor, May 19, 2004.

1. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Is there a database on talkbass.com of who (studio bassists) played on what recording? (specifically, 60's top-40)

2. No, try http://www.allmusic.com/

Are you looking for anyone in paticular?

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    (edit: and 70's too)

I've been listening to an oldies station at work and something will jump out at me now and then.

I Feel the Earth Move (Carol King)
    You've Made Me So Very Happy (BS&T)
    Sunny (Bobby Hebb) (I love the mistake)
    Midnight Train to Georgia (Gladys Knight)

Thanks for the link. I'll give it try.

4. LHbassist

LHbassist

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    During my surfin', I find cool bass stuff from time to time. I don't think there is a database of which you speak. There is, however, plenty of information on session cats. Look at some of the interview archives in publications such as Bassplayer, and on individual bassists websites. Joe Osborn used to have a site...this is what I found as of 11-23-07
    http://www.myspace.com/joeosborn
    If you don't know who he is and are over 50, well you simply haven't connected the name to the face of the man that played on so many hits we remember. If you listen to an oldies station, he's heard on tunes throughout the typical day, on a surprising number of tracks. He's not very funky at all, but he's an amazing musician and bass composer, as I like to say. He even, to my amazement, altered his typical - picked flats, on a '59 J bass on the neck pickup- only- setting to play on some recordings... Gary Lewis and The Playboys' "This Diamond Ring" and "I'd Like To Get To Know You" by Spanky And Our Gang are two that come to mind. I think "Midnight Confessions" by The Grass Roots has this tone as well. It is amazing to listen to the last two mentioned tracks, the tone is to die for. Bob Babbit- the other great Motown session bassist, is pictured with Joe on Joe's myspace page. He played on a LOT of original Motown recordings that people mistakenly assume Jamerson did. Smokey Robinson's "The Tears Of A Clown", and Stevie Wonder's "Signed Sealed Delivered" are two that might give you a new perspective into Bob's brilliance as a bassist. He's so much in the pocket and in tune with the Motown style, you think it's Jamerson! See the great "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" dvd to see just how good he still is. There's also a favorite site...can't think of it just now...something like "Steely Dan track by track", they give as much information as is currently known on the musicians that played on the great stuff they did. Just Google different bassists names, like Tommy Cogbill, David Hungate, Anthony Jackson, Carol Kaye, Jerry Jemmott, and whoever your favorites are, and you'll probably find out what you want to know, and more.

5. anechoic

anechoic

Oct 31, 2005
    Shirley, MA
    I bet you could randomly guess "Carole Kaye" on any of those and be right at least 50% of the time.