1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who played sadowsky and didn't like them

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theshadow2001, Mar 22, 2006.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I don't want to start a flame war here, but I'm just interested is there anyone who played a sadowsky and didn't like it and why. For example people played a warwick and didn't like the feel of the neck.
    As for sadowksy lovers well I have heard loads from you guys and why you like them so I'm interested in the guys that don't. (you must have played one in order to post)

2. I don't see how this thread couldn't develop into a flame war but time will tell.....

3. This could be helpful, but Shadow, have you played one and not liked it??

I'd like to see:
    If your reasons are "they are nothing more than an overpriced parts bass" then I think that it shouldn't be allowed.

Just good honest opinions of how it played, sounded etc.....

Solid reviews if you will on why it wasn't for you.

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Thats what the mods are for :bag: :D

I have never played one nor will I have the opportunity. Im just interested in the side that I have heard little to nothing about. I agree entirely with your post mike and your suggestion is the course I'd like to see the thread to develop just honest reasons why people didn't like them

5. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I don't know if this counts, but I had a Metro for a while and ended up selling it. I thought it was a wonderful bass but I came to the conclusion that I wasn't a J bass person.

I sold it to a friend who was going through a new bass every other month. He loved it but in a weak moment he sold it for a Fender Geddy Lee and some cash. That lasted till his first gig with the Fender. He found the Metro and bought it back. He's had the bass for about nine months now and has no plans to sell it.

If I was a J bass person, I'd probably still have it. And at some point I'd like to try one of his 24 fret basses.

LeonD

6. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Ok, I'll bite.

For reference, I've played an NYC Standard 4 (Birdseye board, maple body, no VTC) and 3 Metros.

I'll do my best to keep this as noncontrversial as possible.

I felt the sound was pretty standard for a J-bass. I didn't hear the *magic* that everyone raves about. I will admit that the majority of the Sadowsky guys say the magic is in the mix. I didn't like the preamps at all. I felt that the treble was too harsh.

Surley, that won't get me flamed :p

7. I've played a couple. To me they didn't feel or sound like anything special. Didn't dislike them though.

8. They won't be happy if this turns into extra work for them, though. They have lives outside of Talkbass (I hope). I have never played a Sadowsky, so I'll keep my mouth shut. I just stopped by to see if anyone had brought out the torch yet...
    -Alex

9. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    If I had any good option either way on this topic (I don't since I haven't played one) I wouldn't worry about getting flamed.

IMO you should be able to write your honest opinions here on TB and not get flamed. Especially, if you have experience to back your opinion.

I'm interested to see how this plays out...

10. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    i have played about 5 but have never owned one. the craftsmanship was absolutley top notch. i can't deny that for a second. i couldn't find a thing to nit pick over any of them. when i plugged them in, however, i wasn't blown away by the tone. i found them to be somewhat sterile sounding, without a lot of warmth. in all fairness, strangely, i have never played one through a quality tube amp, just solid state. from my perspective, it would be the only way for me to determine if a Sadowsky was right or "it" for me. so far, it hasn't been. that's not to say that i do not browse the web site frequently and jones for one. i think i need to take another trip to the bass exchange and give one shot.

11. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I picked up a sadowsky at my local dealer once to see what all the noise was about.

Nothing special tbh. The neck was a little bowed from sitting around in the shop for to long. The strings were dead. The amp i played through was a little not my style.

I agree with the treble issue. It did seem harsh to me. A good fender jazz has a nice round tone with a whole lot of girth to it. This bass seemed flat and too high tech. Im sure for somebody they are nice basses but i didnt walk away a fan at all.

Especialy at a price tag over $2000.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I played one for a few minutes at Bass Central. The volume was failry low and the bass had it's action set too low for me. It souonded like a Jazz, but nothing special. It didn't get my attention the way those double pup Stingrays did. I liked the single H Bongo better too. Hopefully, I will get to play one at a decent volume for an hour or more, maybe play one at a rehearsal. Then I could give a more informed opinion.

13. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    They're very well made but I don't really care for the pickups and preamp. I've also noticed they tend to get lost in the mix when I hear people playing them. But I also prefer P-basses, Stingrays and G&L's to J-basses so that could be part of it.

14. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    My 2 cents:
    I bought one without playing it and really hearing any clips. At first I didn't like it, it had the humcancelling pickups in it and it just didn't sound good. But, the playability and neck was awesome so I kept it. Then I got the single coils installed and WOW what a difference. Also, it's true, the "alone" factor, not the best solo bass but in the "mix" it's amazing. Sits right in the pocket and with the flick of a wrist you can pop out of the mix by getting a little more bridge pickup.

I am really happy with mine. If you plan on trying one out, if you have access to a drum machine take it and try it with am amp with an input and headphones and you'll be impressed.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I played a couple of the vintage models at the old LA Bass Exchange when Long Ly ran it, and they didn't do a thing for me. I couldn't get a decent growl out of them. Same thing at Roger's shop two years ago ... until I picked up a Modern 5. Now, that bass spoke to me. So loudly, in fact, that now I own two of them. They just have that nice bark when you need it and if, for some reason, you want a more of a vintage sound, you've got the VTC to back off the highs.

I will now use this post as an excuse to put pictures of them up again.

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The only knock I have on Sadowskys is that they are rats. If you have sloppy technique, it'll let everybody know.

17. The natural top on that bass is really something to behold. Congrats on finding your thing :smug:

18. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    I'm a multi-Sadowsky owner, and that was one of the first things I noticed when I got my first one. They're not a forgiving bass - if you mess up, the bass will reproduce that mistake in all it's glory!!

I've got a few stories about basses I wasn't all that taken with.

First one was actually my first Sadowsky. It came with 45-105 - against my better judgement, I went with the higher gauge as the guys at Sadowsky really felt that that gauge did a lot more for the sound of the bass. Once I went back to 40-100, and got the thing set up how I liked, it was a completely different bass. Which, to be honest, is the same result you'd get with any bass, so I guess this doesn't count. But it did take me a while to find the right way of setting this thing up, and also to clean up some sloppy technique that was holding me back.

Second was an older Modern 24 with the EMG pickups. I didn't like the sound of the EMGs at all. Same goes for an older Jazz 4 string that had EMGs - again, the EMGs seemed to totally dominate the sound, and didn't let the sound of the bass come through.

I also agree with firkinahsoul who mentioned that the bass is not a great solo bass - it's not. Actually, I'll re-phrase that. It's not a great bass to test out in a store with no other instruments around. You have to hear it in the mix to really appreciate the sound Roger has gone for. Put it in the mix, and it all makes sense.

19. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao EspaƱa
    I love the tone you get of a 24f with EMGs (now they just lost their magic for me).
    AND SADOWSKYS ARE DAMN OVERPRICED HERE IN EUROPE!!!!

20. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I tried a few at Sadowsky's when he was on Broadway in Manhattan. This was maybe 20 years ago. I was considering buying but I ended up having them do the frets on my '74 jbass and install his preamp. I also had a Bartolini put in where the Pbass sweet spot is. I liked Rogers basses, just not as much as I liked the feel of my bass.