Who Played Their High School? (Not in a school band!)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by DiabolusInMusic, Nov 28, 2016.

1. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

A recent thread regarding playing a high school battle of the bands had me reminiscing over my "glory days". My first performance on bass guitar was at my high school. I think it was a talent show or something. My bandmates and I closed to show to quite the raucous crowd. They tried to get us off stage but just kept playing. They eventually cut the mic and power. It was a pretty fun time. I remember we played "Breakout" by the Foo Fighters as well as "Hitchin' a Ride" by Green Day but I cannot remember what the third song we played was.

I would imagine more than a few of us played in front of our high schools. If you got a story, share it. I'm not looking for in-school band stories as they pretty much only play to your school but if you feel like sharing, go for it.

Oh, and no teachers played the event but my drama teacher was a bassist. He would constantly tell me about his Riverhead bass with EMGs that would "rattle your bowels".

WI Short Scaler likes this.
  2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i played class clown and basketball. my musical journey happened right after high school, though

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  3. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Been there. Unfortunately, can't forget being there. :bawl: We called them "Coffeehouses" back in the day. Mid '80s, the band's name was "Duran Duran Duran" - we played bluesy country rock stuff.

Although we did have a running gag for years afterwards about a roadie we called "Carlton the Doorman" for many of those coffeehouses!

4. mikew31

mikew31 Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Superior, WI
    When I was a freshman in high school I played with a group of seniors at a school assembly. I was on rhythm guitar back then. I remember that we played "Everybody Wants You" by Billy Squier and "I Saw Her Standing There" by the Beatles. I think we did a third song, but that was in 1985 or so and I've forgotten with the passage of time. I remember being mostly mortified the whole time. The other guys had played out before so they were pretty good. Ahhhhh, good times:)

5. Heyturnup

Heyturnup

Mar 28, 2016
    idaho
    My band teacher let me use his candy apple red p bass in stage band. The bass was an early to mid 60's era rosewood board non-matching headstock. I remember him yelling at me for putting trombone slide oil on the strings to make them slick, my first experience with round wounds. I remember him yelling at me for a lot of things. A band formed out of the stage band, and an angelic goddess singer babe from chorus joined us to play at half time and such. My first experience in a band with a hot singer babe. I remember her yelling at me for putting trombone slide oil on....... I better not finish that. We never played at our school dances, they hired pro bands, but I and another member of that first band were in a band that got to play a dance at our old high school about ten years latter. Sweet revenge,with interest and penalties.

The Owl, Rezdog and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  6. The high schools in my little school district let us perform a set during the lunch hour. I did it once at all three of the high schools in our district with one band. We surely sucked, but it was fun. It was just ok at my highschool, but people still remember me up there (on bass). The one at the guitarist's HS was much better - the crowd was huge (it was a BIG school), and they seemed to dig us. It was fun.

The one I remember the most was when I was an 8th grader in band with all Seniors in HS in a different band than above. That was so fun because I was all rebellious and stuff and ditched school in order to play at the school.

7. I played for a few teen dances and a talent show in Jr. High School. The band I was in by the time I got to high school was playing local dance clubs , a couple of hoof and feather clubs and some college frat parties. Those were a real eye opener for a 16 year old kid.;) Wrecked the old mans car after I started driving and had to sell off most of my gear to pay for damages. Didn't get back into music for about 4 years after that and wasn't in another band till I was about 27 years old. Been doing it ever since.

8. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    First gig of my first band was at my Junior High in 1964 in the gym for what was called a "sock hop" in those days. The reason being that they didn't want your shoes scuffing up the hardwood gym floor, so you had to take your shoes off upon entering the gym. We played several more dances there during my three years. In high school, I had a band that my homeroom teacher was the lead singer in and played several times at the "student center." Interesting name for that band, The Swiss Snow Machine." :D

Pdaddy1978 and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I did. My HS always had what was called Auditorium Day in early June where a local band would play a concert. My band did 2. One in 1977 and one in 1978.
    zciqu7q.jpg

JimK, Corbusier, staurosjohn and 14 others like this.
  10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    A teacher/football coach of mine, along with a shop teacher, were both excellent guitarists. We put together a bi-generation band for a talent show. 1981.

Corbusier and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  11. Trebizond

Trebizond

Nov 28, 2012
    Utah
    A band I was in played our high school talent show and we played for a school dance. After that, I never set foot in my old high school. Out of the blue, some former classmates who remembered the band got a hold of me for the 40 year class reunion in September, 2016.They wanted a live band. My brother, who played guitar in our high school rock band, came on board for this gig. We played the 40 year reunion and had a fantastic time. Here are some photos of my brother and me at the gig.

Attached Files:

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    My high school was a horrible, wretched place filled with evil staff so we never had any fun like a HS concert. We were lucky to get fed.

13. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I can still remember as if it was yesterday.. My band "The Tensions" played at my high school dance in the gym and we rocked the place with the Beatles "Slow Down". The crowd like it so much we played it again.

14. I quit school when I was 16, The faculty failed to hold my interest..
    I played paid performances at both the Jr High & the High School a couple of years later.

dbase and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  15. frnjplayer

frnjplayer

Feb 3, 2014
    I played once in our HS. Classic rock was new music at the time. We arranged for a friend to get some dry ice so we'd have a bit of smoke/haze going on. He had difficulty getting the dry ice to have the proper effect so he gave us a blast from a fire extinguisher. Just about cut off the oxygen for everyone in the auditorium.
    Good times I tell ya.

16. bassasaurus

bassasaurus Zonker Supporting Member

May 24, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Played my High School, our Jr High and CYO dances for 3 years during my High School Days back in mid 70's. Also a lot of the surrounding towns. Money was great and had an absolute ball playing to 300+ people at most dances.

MCF, dbase and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  17. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Played "Into the Sun" and "I'm Your Captain" at a talent show while I was still in school. It was the only time any band I played in got a standing ovation. Returned years later with a different band to play for a dance.

JimK, Bunk McNulty, SWRnut and 2 others like this.
  18. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Early 1977, the picture isn't from a gig at my HS though I did play mine FB_IMG_1431265930818.jpg a number of times

19. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    BTW I still have the bass :) FB_IMG_1461081313587.jpg

JimK, Mickp, Fishheadjoe and 3 others like this.
  20. BD Jones

BD Jones

Jul 22, 2016
    Texas
    I did. In fact, our high school had an on campus club and for my junior and senior year my band was the house band. We played after every home football game and then one gig a month the rest of the school year. We also played school dances and talent shows.

MCF and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021