Who Played Their High School? (Not in a school band!)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by DiabolusInMusic, Nov 28, 2016.

1. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691 Lovin' the lows Gold Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Davenport, IA
    I played in a few high school talent shows. I think we did 1) Memphis Will Be Laid To Waste, by Norma Jean. 2) Boy Brushed Red Living In Black and White, by Underoath. And 3) some Alkaline Trio song... They were all different bands over sophomore, junior, and senior year. The teachers made us turn in lyrics to the songs, but never asked for a recording to listen to ahead of time.

I remember the bass rig was someones Peavey 215 and a GK RB700-ii. Guitars were playing through a couple Marshall half stacks. It was way too much noise for a high school gym.

It was really fun though.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  2. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    See now if you were a little older (like me) you wouldn't be able to remember being there. I don't mean a senior moment, but rather the chemical enhancements.

3. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    When I was in college, for about a year a small group of us would go from dorm to dorm and play jazz standards at Sunday lunch (each dorm had its own dining hall). Never asked permission, never got griped at, which is amazing. 1 or 2 saxes, trumpet, bass, drums, keyboard if I recall - actually most of the dorm commonses had at least one actual piano, which ranged from the Steinway grand in my dorm to some pretty funky boxes with cigarette burns all over.

Remember how piano players who smoked used to set the cigarette upright on the filter end on the top of the box - like a teeny smelly candle - and then forget about it and let it burn down into the finish? Or alternately, lay it down with the lit end hanging over the edge, and then forget about it and let it burn down into the finish? One method leaves circular scars and the other one leaves elliptical scars. And of course the guitarists wedged the ciggie in between the strings up at the head stock, then forgot about them and let them burn down into the finish.

4. Awesome thread. Will have to dig out the old 40 year old photos. Back in the 70's in my hometown (Boston area), and probably everywhere, every HS dance had a real live band. I would skip the dance part and just watch the band all night. That's when I started playing and eventually got to play a couple of dances and other events at the school. Will dig up the photos this weekend. And I still have that old bass as well (dept. store no-name).

MCF and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  5. I played my high school gym (along with my town hall) several times in the late 60's, early 70's, don't remember what I used for an amp back then but I think it was my Dual Showman with a P bass with flatwounds on it. All I can remember is the horrendous sound in that place and my guitar player saying: "Play louder we have to overcome the echo!" haha! I also remember playing an outside gig at the high school around the same time on the 4th of July and playing "How Many More Times" by Zeppelin; when the high pitched scream came the singer almost passed out he was so stoned. (He was the same guy who told us to overcome the echo)

Rezdog, DiabolusInMusic and JRA like this.
  6. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    In high school I played my first gig at the local community tv. We played Christmas songs after that I went to college and it was another game to study music and play in the college orchestra and choir.

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i played my grade school in the 8th grade, both high schools i attended (actually played the prom at one, school dances at both), the college i attended, several times (while enrolled), and even graduate school (before and after i attended, but not during). a long, long time ago! ;)

8. I remember seeing a band called The John Does in Grafton Ma in 1969 when I was 16, the bass player had one of those Fender V's (rare 5 string bass with high C) and a Kustom with 3 15"'s, they played Take Me For a Little While, Vanilla Fudge and the bass player nailed the solo, I was quite impressed.

9. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    1970, freshman in high school. Ironically it was for Drug Day. Or was it anti drug day? Played on the floor in the middle of the gymnasium. My first time in front of people (the whole school...all 350 students) and I swear they all must have saw me shaking through the first song! "Cinnamon Girl" and "Down By The River" by Neil Young and Crazy Horse. "You Really Got Me" and "All Day and All of the Night" by the Kinks. It was awesome!

nixdad, Rezdog and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  10. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    We played The Circle at our school on a few lunch periods but we all were in the school bands and choir. At the time Hiroshima was about to drop their first album and they had a couple of alumni in their band and were seen as a real treat.

11. GnarwhalNick

GnarwhalNick

Jan 18, 2011
    I went to a private catholic high school, and because we were smaller than the public schools in our area, it allowed us to have a tremendous auditorium for school assemblies (huge stage, a large seating area with a huge balcony as well). My school had two big events every year that let bands play at. One of them was the festival of the arts which showcased students talents in all different arts, including a live bands of all genres. Unfortunately I never got to play in that, but there was an even bigger and more attended event that was a dance marathon from noon-midnight that raised money for Cystic Fibrosis research. This was held in the gym and to keep people interested for 12 hours (note - not everyone came or had to stay for 12 hours), there are time blocks for different DJs, bands, games, etc on the main stage that was built. Well after seeing some awesome rock bands performing my freshman year I told myself I would make it my goal to play it one day. My senior year rolls around and I'm on the committee for the dance. I'm a security chair and I made my station the stage. One of my friends bands went on to play (they had asked me to play the dance with them but I declined because I thought my band was going to play... it fell apart lol). My buddy informed me that their bassist was late (what's new?) and if I could get on stage and fill in until he got there. Luckily I knew most of the songs they were covering so I hopped up and played 3 1/2 songs until the bassist showed up. While that was awesome, they were scheduled pretty early in the day so not many people were there yet. Two years later, I came back with my own band I formed in college and we played in front of 1,400 people. Now THAT was an event I'll never forget!

nixdad, Lex P. and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  12. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Closest thing I did to a high school gig was a paid 1-hour set for my high school's safe graduation party.

A large convention center was rented out and there were poker tables, game booths, tons of food & soft drinks and a dance floor. Really fun when I attended it, and it was great to play as an alumni two years later.

13. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    We played after game (football and basketball) dances at my high school for the four years we were there. Played other schools in the area too. And lots of church dances. We were good enough that we played homecoming dances and proms too. Pre DJs. Schools in our area always had live music.

14. Up the dose

Up the dose

Mar 10, 2013
    High School Battle of the Bands 1987 Played Iron Maiden, Ozzy, and Van Halen tunes on a Gibson EB3 plugged into a Peavey TNT 130. Still remember it like it was yesterday.

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Did you win? Side note, my first stage amp was a Peavey too, a TKO 115.

16. Up the dose

Up the dose

Mar 10, 2013
    No. We were robbed! Lol! We played a great set too. Our set featured Crazy Train, Ain't Talking Bout Love, Phantom of the Opera, The Trooper, and a note for note perfect Eruption guitar solo. We were all delinquents , there was no way the teachers who were the judges were gonna vote for us.

Heyturnup and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  17. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    It was eight grade. The program said my song was by "The Kiss." The piano was loud and boomy. I looked like I was about seven. I had about the same hairstyle I have now. I held the mic too far from my mouth. My voice cracked a little as I started in, "Beth I hear you callin' but I can't come home right now..."

I'm pretty sure I was awful.

As a high school senior, my band played a party that had nothing but kids from my school. I was about as awful as that day in eighth grade, but the band was pretty good. (as had been Julie Kitowski's piano playing on "Beth,") I left that party with my tail tucked between my legs, and would not sing in front of people for many years, and I had massive stage fright right up until I won the Country House Talent Show with "American Pie," in my 20's. Then the ego took over, and I've been insufferable ever since.

Here's last Friday at the Talent Show we hold ever year hear at my Mortgage job:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoX5ZRThols

I should be embarrassed by that performance. I assure you I am not.

18. My original band played in the middle school talent show and then the next day our 8th grade dance. All of our classmates thought we were rock star's and we signed everyone's yearbook like we were. Also that year we had played a local Battle of the Bands and gotten 3rd place. Good memories, but I was 15, I'm sure if I could go back now and listen to us play I'd cringe a little.

19. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Actually did twice!
    NOT a school band officially.....
    In my later years in high school, we had a "hot for teacher" young art teacher(or something) and she formed "The Rock Music Club". This was in 1970 or 1971 IIRC. She put our "band" together with me on bass, a very hotrod guitarist(played all slides songs around and 10 Years After/Alvin Lee stuff), and a drummer I don't remember. Guitarist & I are still friends. We played "Jesus Is Just Alright"(Doobie Brothers). "I'm Going Home"(10 Years After), "Johnny B. Goode", and a Cream song I can't recall. All this was in the school auditorium in front of the entire high school. Fun times.

Second time:
    Different band, 2 guitars + drums + me + lead vocalist who could sing ANYTHING. Got booked via our manager to play the "ROTC Dance" about 1 or 2 years after I graduated. 1500 folks jammed into a gym with a stage set up at one end. It was like playing a concert to that bunch as we had roadies back then and the largest Ryder truck full of gear(SVT with 2 cabs for me). More fun.

20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

1972. Cousin's band. I replaced their bass player "just for two shows." I ended up playing with them until I graduated HS in '73. He loaned me the use of his JB and Kustom bass amp to make it happen. I was strictly an upright player at that point. He was a guitarist. But he occasionally gigged as a bass player too.

First song I ever played with them was Procol Harum's Shine on Brightly followed by Traffic's Freedom Rider and Waitin' for the Wind by Spooky Tooth.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    Jimmy4string likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021