Who Played Their High School? (Not in a school band!)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by DiabolusInMusic, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Only in my fantasies did I play in a band in HS. Seriously. I didn't play at the time and I used to fantasize about playing as I listened to my favorite album: Master of Puppets. Everyone was blown away at how awesome we played and all the girls were very impressed.

2. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Does the gym count? My band played an event in my school's gym and serenaded everyone with Stoner Doom

DiabolusInMusic and Gustopher like this.
  3. I had a band in high school. We were The Stinky Britches. I don't know why we thought that was cool. This was in 2006, I believe.

4. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Don’t feel bad. My high school band was briefly “Jack’s Sweet Ass”, and we did play our high school. Don’t ask me why we thought that was funny, but in 1969 it WAS pretty risqué!

DiabolusInMusic, The Owl and droo46 like this.
  5. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Not so many pics from ‘back then’… no cell phones, etc. :thumbsup:

In my senior yr of HS - played in a ‘Top 40’ish band called ‘Skyline
    This is a pic from our ‘Sadie Hawkins’ dance (1980)… I was actually in a hard rock band - but was ‘allowed’ to get funky ;) in this group :whistle: :p (w/my ‘76 RIC)

D3DD5885-43C2-4CD2-BFC9-CA822EA89703.jpeg

Here is my grad pic (1980) :cool: :D

2B7B4B66-A6B8-485A-BEC8-D16543E96774.jpeg

A few of us ‘reunited’ for our 35th reunion… had fun!!
    DD06A6A4-135A-4552-B30D-6FA2E60A3C54.jpeg

A classmate, who played trumpet in HS, went on to sing in an AC/DC cover band… we invited him to sing a tune - here’s a short clip (2015)

They even let me sing a bit :laugh::laugh::smug:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  6. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I played my Jr. High school, however I was still going to school there at the time

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  7. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    The rock band I was in played several lunchtimes and the winter formal at my high school. Winter formal was kind of awesome. Couple of lunch gigs at our keyboardist's high school. Plenty of other gigs, lame parties where the cops would always show up, outside of school. I was always the guy to talk to the cops. It's a damn valuable skill, the options were usually that they'd just take your gear. You did not want that. They usually would charge you a lot to get it back. I got a request out of them once, which we did, and then scrammed as requested.

The marching band played a full set of competitions every year, all home games, all pep rallies. Including Disneyland and Angels Stadium. I played a LOT in high school.

8. bajaandy

bajaandy Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Escondido
    1978 or so was in a band with a phenom guitarist and kick-a$$ drummer. Thing is, they were from the rival high school in town. Didn't matter for us because we played all the house parties in and around the neighboring cities all through high school and after. Never actually played at either of the high schools as a band. However, in a strange twist of fate, I eventually became the shop teacher at my alma mater, actually taking my shop teachers job. Wound up starting a "teacher band" called Lost Faculties. The guitarist was the math department chair, the drummer also taught math and one rhythm guitarist taught chemistry and the other taught government. We played at lunch time and at pep rallies and at grad night. So yes, I played at my high school, but not until long after I graduated!

DiabolusInMusic and The Owl like this.
  9. I played guitar in HS, a Catholic school in South Florida. The band I was in my senior year of HS got reduced to myself and the other guitar player as the drummers and bassists kept flaking out for the various typical reasons. We decided to play as an acoustic duo with a diverse repertoire ranging from 50s pop to current top 40, to too many Jimmy Buffet songs, with some originals in the mix.

We convinced our Arts & Humanities teacher to let us write and perform 3 original songs in class instead of doing a paper and presentation. That went over pretty well. One of the songs was an "original' blues and she looked very surprised as we explained the I-IV-V pattern to the class, how the 7th chords led to the next chord, nerdy stuff like that. We discussed the maj7 chord in another song, a maudlin ballad about true love and the beach. I think she expected 3 adolescent angsty songs, but not anything really substantive as far as music theory or anything like that.

We were asked to play "Senior Night," a variety show format with all kinds of acts from dancers to comedians, short drama and music. The audience liked us but our song selection got us into trouble, as 2 of our 3 selections were deemed "inappropriate." We opened with 'Wake Up Little Suzie" - that was OK, but our next song 'glorified satan' ('Friend of the Devil') and our closer 'encouraged alcohol abuse' - the very popular at the time 'Margaritaville.' I didn't help that most of the crowd sang along enthusiatically to the beginning of the chorus. That performance earned us a visit to the guidance office and to the dean of discipline. We brought copies of the lyrics with us and made a case that he made the wrong assumptions about the songs based on the titles, but instead 'Friend of the Devil' was about a sinner lamenting his misdeeds and 'Margaritaville' was about someone regretting wasting his days as a lazy drunk. My buddy started talking bout how these songs were modern morality plays and we chose them to communicate important lessons about the wages of sin and drink to our fellow classmates. The dean of discipline gave us an exasperated look, assigned us to serve a Saturday detention and dismissed us from his office.

10. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Yep, played a talent show once during Arts Day. One and only time I've had a bra thrown at me.

11. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    I played at the guitar and drummer's high school, San Dieguito back in the days. It was in the same district as mine, and my school split off from them. That's as close as I get.

12. I played my school auditorium when I was in the 8th grade, played guitar I was supposed to be the bass player but didn't own a bass yet. I was better on guitar than the guitarist so he played bass on my regular 6 string Audition guitar and and played his much superior Sears & Roebucks guitar (Danelectro) with the amp in the case. All I remember playing is the 'House of the rising Sun'- Animals, none of us sang.

I also played the high school gymnasium at least once on bass probably several times, high school gyms are the loudest, most echoey, noisiest, worst sounding places you can play as many of you know. The only thing I remember about the gig is when the lead guitarist said if we turned up loud enough we could beat the echos. :laugh:

I also played my town hall at least once, I remember the pay for that gig, 20 bucks each, it burned down in 1969.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  13. FD8F6C82-1E56-495A-B19E-B3FB6F8212B0.jpeg 36293F11-A8BC-4EDE-8309-09DD2C74A158.jpeg

February 2009, my senior year of high school. We called ourselves “Red Baron”. Jake on drums was one of the best drummers I’ve ever played with. If I recall correctly our set list was as follows:

“Hope” by Jack Johnson
    “Good Love Is On The Way” by John Mayer Trio
    “Fire” by Jimi Hendrix

And we smoked it. We were a tight three piece and I’d love to play with Jake and Mitch again.

14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Not a high school, but an elementary school talent show in 1964 and even though I was playing bass at the time, I did magic not music.

15. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Yes, but not the usual gig. I was always involved in HS chorus/glee club; sure, a good portion of the repertoire was cringeworthy, but then we did a fair amount of early music/Renaissance stuff, which I enjoyed(plus the annual springtime Broadway chestnut). Still, the director was very forward looking, and thought it would be very contemporary to do selections from Jesus Christ Superstar, which had been a sensation a few months previous, as part of a recital. To make it more ‘authentic’, I and some other in-house rockers at the school were enlisted to form a band to do the performance. As most of the tunes were, at the core, cliche pop/rock structures, learning them was not too much of a struggle, but during the concert I still got nervous, never having been required to be dead-on with what I was playing, plus coordinating with the chorus and direction. Add to that the scowls we were getting from some of the audience. The director was perhaps a little too forward looking…there were plenty of parental types that weren’t too happy that A) there were electric instruments and drums on stage, and B) we were doing songs from that show; it was still controversial and considered sacrilege by some. I personally couldn’t care less, I thought it was kind of contrived anyway. I was just more into being able to rock out in that context. It beat marching in, singing “The Happy Wanderer”, as we always had to do.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

At our 50-year reunion, I played in a 3-piece band that was originally supposed to play period 1968 music, but ended up playing mostly originals that reflected the lead guitarist's high school angst. I stayed with it because it was a chance to play, and I managed to get Louie, Louie in the brief set list. We all lvied at least 200 miles away from each other, to we did all our practices by video conference although it happened 2 years before the pandemic.

Actually, Louie Louie was the ONE tune everyone wanted to sing along with - but unfortunately, one of the guitarists started in THE WRONG KEY. It took most of the song for him to figure this out and get in the right key. Meanwhile, the folks that were still left tried to sing and were pretty confused.

Big damn disappointment. Could have been better with a simple choice of popular 1968 songs, of which there are many.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    One of my HS garage bands played our High School... all 4 of us attended this school (1976)-
    1st time was a Talent Show in the Auditorium. Full house, we did 3 tunes -
    "Catherine Of Aragon"- Rick Wakeman
    "Got The Feeling"- Jeff Beck Group
    "What's Goin' On"- Marvin Gaye...a female classmate, a fantastic (to this day) Soul/Gospel singer, joined us. We waved her onstage & she crushed it.

Couple months later, we played a dance in the Cafeteria (where these dances were held).
    We were beginning to play more "danceable" stuff...I recall 3 tunes by AWB ("You Got It", "Schoolboy Crush", & "If I Ever Lose This Heaven").
    I also recall "Love Rollercoaster", 3-4 tunes from Edgar Winter's They Only Come Out At Night, much Doobies ("Natural Thing", "China Grove", "Long Train Running", & "Another Park, Another Sunday")...

18. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    I never played, but my guitar player friend was in a band and they played a show in the auditorium during the last days of our senior year. It was memorable because they played “I Wanna be your Dog” for the finale. At the end of the song they dimed the amps and leaned the guitars against them, causing feedback of epic proportions. (Bass player had an Acoustic 360) The principal was running around screaming “turn those GD things down!” It was awesome and the audience went wild.

A few years after graduation the GP and I ended up in a band together, and several bands and many years later we’re still playing together!

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021