Who plays a 4x10 - and why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pilgrim, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I've been playing a single 15" speaker for a traditional sound on surf and classic rock. However, I got tired of having very poor note definition. Too much of the time the bass sounded like 'woof, woof, woof" in the background...and I couldn't really tell the bass notes apart.

So last weekend I bought a G-K 4x10. Better note definition, and still a strong low end with plenty of punch. (And I can use both the 4x10 and my single 15 together if I need to.)

Who else likes this style of cab - and why?

2. I do - because they are twice as cool as a 210! :D

3. I've been using a single 410 for many years. I find it's the best 'bang for the size' cab ever. And, with the wonderful lightweight versions out now, my 410 weighs less than the 210's or 115's I've used in the past.

I've always been impressed with the tone of all the guys I've heard in clubs with those Goliaths and Eden 410XLT's through the years... punchy, loud, even, and they seem to slot into a mix very nicely for the type of music I enjoy the most (pop/jazz/funk).

Enjoy that cab!

4. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Sometimes I play a 2x4. It cuts through wonderfully in crowds :D

5. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    I just got an Ampeg 410 last week. It's great.

6. Mark Joe

Mark Joe

Apr 8, 2008
    Frederick MD
    I have an Ampeg 4x10 HE, and it just doesn't seem to have the brightness that I am looking for. It helps when I get it up
    off the floor and stack it on another cab; the mid-to-treble range seems less 'lost' then. Still, 10's are much more present than 15's. I recommend any cabinet with 10's for a general purpose cab. Thanks.

7. I usually combine a 212 with a 410, or a 212 with a 210 in smaller venues.

I like the 410 for punch, clarity (as long as it has a horn), and overall volume. The speaker area on a 410 is greater than a 212 or 115 so, in theory, it will push more air, thus creating more volume, but it all depends on the quality of cabinet also. Sometimes a 115 might sound a little boomy, but combined with a 410 and you have punch of the 410 and the growl of the 115.

8. phat daddy

phat daddy

Jun 16, 2006
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I go 2x10, 4x10, and 6x10 depending on the size of the venue. 10s, especially in multitude, just have the most appropriate voicing, big lows, cutting mids, and pristine highs. I've never even owned a 15" speaker except for one that was given to me that I sold immediatly. Not enough time clocked on a 12" cab except for my Hartke Kickback 12, but I really like that amp although it can't touch my Markbass 2x10" combo, but it's a good practice amp.

9. +1

About the same here. I use a 4x10 and 2x12 for large gigs, and a 2x10 and 1x15 for smaller venues.

10. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris Supporting Member

2 x 410 GK RBHs plus 2 x 115RBHs. If I had my druthers they would all be 410s.

11. xchristopherx

xchristopherx

Mar 22, 2008
    I often times have used just my 4x10 as a stage moniter. Hall shows or larger stages its gotta be an 8x10. Although I do love my new mesa 6x10 a great deal, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna pair it up with a 2x15... I really like the low meat of a 15" speaker. For small clubs with good sound, I don't 'need' them, but I actually like the articulation of a 410 and the beefy low end I get from a 15...

So, yes?

12. I love the tone of 10s, I dont mind 15 at low volumes, but when they are pushed they get farty and horrible sounding

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

That seems to be true to my ear as well. The harder I push a 15 the less definition I hear, and the more farty it gets. Moderate volumes are much more forgiving. I believe the 4x10 will avoid this problem when I push it a bit.

14. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Agreed. But hold on there, Mr. Ken. A 4x10 can sound pretty good for the type of music that I enjoy the most...the Blues. ;):D Don't ya know! And I know you do. :)

M. M.

15. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I've been using 4x10 cabs since I got my first Guild/Hartke 410 around 1985 or so (really fuzzy memory, but pretty much when they first came out). More articulate and less flabby sounding. I play bass, I don't play the kick drum. I want low end, but it's GOT to have a note in it. A good 4x10 helps with this. I also like 12" speakers for bass, but I've only played on 15" cabinet that sounded OK to me in most gigs. I like the sound of multiple smaller drivers moving air instead of the sound of a single bid driver.

jte

16. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

I have 2 Ampeg 2x10's and a 1x15. Lugging around 2 of these to a gig is a pain as is dragging one out avery few days to practice.

My solution was to buy a Sadowsky SA410, leave one 2x10 and one drummer's place and the other 2x10 at my other drummer's place (I practice with a Markbass F1 head). This way I leave the Ampeg cabs where they are when I gig and load up my trunk with my 4x10 and Ampeg SVT head.

Plus the 410 is very loud for outdoor or larger gigs.

17. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    After 20 years of 2 15's, I tried a 4X10 and never looked back. As long as the venue's big enough to "open up" my 410XLT, it's the most versatile cab I own... These days it does everything but the small rooms.

18. i've played on a 2x15 and a 4x10 and I own a 4x10 at home. all cabs played through the same head.

the 4x10 sounds much more responsive and faster, and I don't feel that I'm losing any low end with the 4x10.

Just as you described, I also felt the 2x15 didn't have enough note definition, I can feel the thump, but not hear the note.

For the 4x10, I can feel less thump, but I can hear more of the note.

But for both, I don't feel any loss of low frequencies at all.

19. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Best blend of punch, articulation, power handling, spls and usable bass at all volume levels in a reasonably sized package.

20. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I love my 4x10. Its a sealed cab, nice and punchy. Plus, it fits in my trunk so theres no more fighting to get my old 6x10 onto my back seat.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021