Who plays a cheapo as their main bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jellybass, Jun 14, 2005.

1. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    My main bass is a Yamaha BB300. I have replaced the pickups with BassLines but other than that the bass is stock original. The bass cost me 240 without the pickups 15 years ago and the pickups cost maybe a hundred or so when I replaced them. Who else plays a cheapobass as their main bass?
  2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I play Fenders, they're real s**ty according to a bunch of people here! :oops: :bag:
  3. dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    I play Fenders, they're real s**ty according to a bunch of people here! :oops: :bag:[/QUOTE]

4. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Ibanez RB800 and SX QMD - both cost me under 200 each.

is that cheapo enough? What if I said the Ibanez with the HSC for 172 and SX for 140+15(gigbaqg)+15 for shippin

Now the SX's got cheaper; I coulda gotten another HSC...
  5. JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    My bass is a "cheapo" like you so elequently put it. But hey man, shes been good to me and i love her!!......................well as much as a man can love an inanimate object.
    My babys not only cheap considering i bought it for $100 but it also has more dents and dings and chips in it than pretty much any other bass i've seen..It's become somewhat of a point of pride for me!
  6. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    An Ibanez GSR 200 is my main bass by choice.
  7. Yo, Right here. My number 1 is an Ibanez GAXB 150. Probably as el-cheapo as you can get without going used. You'll probably remember them as the double cutaway, pseudo-Eb0 looking, short scale that the boys at Ib' whipped out a couple years ago.

The bridge is built wierd, giving the G string a wierd "twang" sound, the stock tuners are total crap, and yet she's my baby. This bass has one of the warmest tones I've ever put to tape, and yet it has a subtle growl that gives it her charm.

I recorded my entire album, "The Fuzzy Jank" with that bass, and have slowly been ripping her apart for live use when I put a touring band together.

El Cheapo should only mean one thing to the ranks of us bass players, a damn good deal. In my short time on this forum, I can honestly say everyone on this website has the abililty to judge a plywood turd from a real gem. Maybe I'm just sentimental, but when you grab an instrument thats got comfort, tone, and personality, and manages to be cheaper than anything else out there, you tend to look upon it with a bit more fondness.

Okay, preaching done...........on with the next post :p
  8. i play two cheapos, just incase one of them lets me down:D:D

nah, my main bass is an SX with a gotoh 201 and the pups wired in parallel

9. Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    My Yamaha RBX-270L was my main bass for a long time.

Then the Fender Jazz and the Musicman Stringray came. :bag:

The Fender Jazz might seem not expensive, but I can tell you, over here in Europe, the price of this bass is kinda criminal.
  10. i have a spector 5 string but whenever theres a gig to be played my cheapest bass, the music drive (i have 5 basses now) always takes centre stage. Its nice to play, it looks cool and I dont mind thrashing it about a bit. :hyper:
  11. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003

My Ibanez 5 was $300 about 10 years ago, but since then, I've upgraded the pickups to active EMGs (came with Selects), EMG BTC, and a Warwick adjustable brass nut.

My new Fender MIM Active Deluxe V was $400 brand new.

12. well, my band members have recently been blown away with the sound of my 120 € fretless that I got restored for another 130€, and they've asked me to start playing that instead of my 700 € Fender Jazz... I wasnt expecting that... but that thing does have groove and Grind. :D best 250 € I ever spent.

edit: forgot to mention the brand: its an Oakland... Never heard of it.
  13. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    I took my cheapo to a bass tech last night to get it's first setup done in 15 years. The tech asked me when I had the frets done, which I never have had done, because he said the frets were in remarkable condition. Also, he noted the grain on the maple neck runs in a great direction and stays parralel, don't really know what he meant by that. All in all, he commented that the bass was one of the best condtioned basses he had seen in a while even though I have been beating on it for 15 years. Viva El Cheapo!!! (eloquently put).
  14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I bring 2 basses to my gigs. My Lakland 55-01 and my Fender MIM Jazz which I paid $299 new at a Sam Ash sale when I lived in NY. It doesn't sound nor play cheap though!!
  15. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Kind of...

I bought my Yamaha BB605 (fretted 5) as a "C" stock (chip in the headstock from the factory) for $350 and added Batolini pickups and preamp for about $250.

My Wendler (4 string fretless) cost me $300 used, but they sell new for about $1,200.
  16. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I use a Reverend BH5 of a lot of gigs. It's super reliable, sounds great, and cheap enough that I don't need to worry about it getting knocked around.
  17. If it's a "cheapo" it by rights should be...a Fender-ish instrument, of the passive, alder body w/ maple bolt-on neck variety, really should be cheap, as it's not rocket science folks.

IMO only, a bass meeting this general criteria should have no reason than to be 500 bucks tops or much less. Anyone who pays more than a thousand dollars for a passive j or p-bass is, imo, insane.
  18. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    has anyone here ever heard of a bass make called Encore? im sure they are the worst chaepest nasty basses out there
  19. endorka

Oct 15, 2004
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yes, I have one, it is a fretless Fender type clone and it is truly nasty - very heavy, uncomfortable to play and the setup was abysmal. I bought it to replace my original "home made" fretless, but it was just not the same.

If I am to be honest though, I did a bit of setup on it last week and it isn't too bad at all through a good amp, I've definitely heard worse...

20. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    well, my main backup is a cheapo. It also happens to be my main recording bass. It's a mid-80s Ibanez Roadstar, upgraded with a Badass II and a pair of Duncan Basslines Quarter Pounder J's. I scored it for $300 several years ago. It's the gig backup to my to-die-for '69 Jazz; it's my main gig bass for venues where I'm concerned for my own and my instruments safety :eek:. And it's actually my main bass for recording; goes to tape/disc wonderfully.