Who plays a Ric without a pick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kenzy, Dec 15, 2012.

1. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    The only time I ever use a pick with mine is when my cover band does a song which needs it. In every other band/application, I do fingerstyle. I use ernie ball cobalt strings, and they are perfect for getting a great Geddy/Squire grind. But my main band is a reggae band, and I use this bass. play near the neck (not too dissimilar from that Sleep video posted early on), turn the tone down, and it gets pretty darn fat if I need it to. It's all in the finger attack, placement of hand, and to a lesser extent, the strings

2. I use factory Rickenbacker roundwounds. Love the sound, the intonation is set up and the nut is cut for them so why mess with it.

3. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Not me, I play 99% with a pick.... Ric or not.

4. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY
    for nearly 30 years I played finger only. the last few years I have begun using a pick.

Love the sounds I can get with a pick but I will still play just fingers when necessary.

one think I did find was that clicking sound you get with fingers on a Ric went away with using a pick

5. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY
    It took me a long time to get used to a pick. now I carry one around in my pocket.
    for the longest time, songs that I have been playing fingerstyle since I started (1979) were difficult to transition to a pick....now I love the difference and almost sounds ****** finger style

:meh:

6. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY
    I had the original factory stock strings on mine for 12 years

I just switched to Rotosound Swing bass 66...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXFNgiGd8z4-XZKbGA602MPfgtdT3hVTIVuhduurHi6tVKS2y2.jpg

:D

7. I play my Ricks with fingers and thumb - never use a pick.

8. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    My fingers are so callused that a pick just mellows my sound out.

9. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I DO!!!

But then again, I play a 4002 (yes, "2," not "1" or "3," and definitely not "4" or "5"), which, of course, has the different pickup configuration, so it more easily lends itself to traditional right hand technique.

http://www.rickbeat.com/modelslibrary/4002/4002.htm

Tone? Think about P + J on steroids. GHS Progressives in 45-60-80-105 to really kick things up a notch, and a push-pull on the neck volume control to have its inline .01 capacitor in/out.

10. Ha!

I play with fingers nearly always. If I want a specific pick sound, I typically turn my fingernail on it and go to town.

With my 4003S/5 it was difficult to learn to play fingerstyle because of the string spacing but after some quality time, I got used to it. And like it now.

Strings: XL Chromes.

11. Finger style here, though I play sort of like a classical guitarist these days with float thumb. If I need the extra attack I use the nail on my index finger like a pick. I mostly use DR Hi Beams .045 - .105. I was a big time pick grinder in the '90s but migrated away from that.

12. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    Me

13. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    It depends on what sound i want to get,but i tend to play my Fatbeams-equipped 4000 with a shark pick,because it has such a grungy classic clank. My Cii,which has 60's maxima flatwounds gets mostly finger playing,but it sounds great to get that nice clicky thumpy sound using a fatter pick. And my custom Laredo,which has the pickups in the 4002 positions,and has circle k rounds,i mostly play fingerstyle,unless i want to go for that glassy pic sound. I tend to play near the bridge about 85% of the time in either mode.

14. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    I've been playing fingerstyle for years, using a pick seldom until now. Started using one on my 4001 and enjoying the hell out of it. Using fingers when needed for the tune and/or tone.

15. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Richfield, Ohio
    I only play finger style. Just have never been comfortable with a pick. I use the factory Ricenbacker strings. They sound great to me.

16. I'm kind of the opposite here. I ONLY play my RICs with a pick, then switch to either the Jazz or the Precision for fingers....

Strings?

See above ^

17. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    All of my Rics are strung with D'addario Prosteels, .45 - 1.00 gauge. I play fingerstyle about 95% of the time, & only use a pick if the song calls for it. When playing fingerstyle, I usually rest my plucking hand thumb on the edge of the neck pickup, or just float it.

And I always love an excuse to post a pic of them......

fiverickenbackers015.gif

18. I play overwhelmingly more fingerstyle than with a pick, personally. It was just never my thing. But I like the tone you get with a pick, so I pluck with my nails. But I don't own a Ric. I was just curious because I never hear from anyone that plays fingerstyle on them. But now my understanding is that it works just as well...yeah?

19. +1 for D'Addario Prosteels .045 - .1 gauge strings! :D

Oh, also exactly what he said is pretty much where I am. Except the rics. I don't own a single Ric.

20. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Same here... And removing the pickup cover was the very first thing I did after receiving the Ric.