Who plays a Ric without a pick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kenzy, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

Jun 3, 2011
    I too play with either as the song dictates. I do prefer the sound I get more with a pick.

Sepp

2. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Never seen Geddy with a Ric?

But, a Ric always sound best with a pic! :)
    http://soundcloud.com/duke21/back-to-my-ric-ju-ab-md

3. I've only seen Geddy once, and I can hardly remember the show at all, actually... Could someone point me to some Rush tunes he recorded with his ric?

4. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    The cat in the hat plays a Ric with a pick.

5. I usually use fingers, occasionally a pick for consistent grindy 8th notes.

I rest my pinky and ring right on the p-up cover

6. Picks were always like ballpoint pens to me, never there when you need one!

I used to play about 50/50 pick vs fingers when I was in my 20's, but even if I bought a dozen picks on the day of a gig I would invariably arrive at the gig and find that they'd disappeared down some wormhole in the space-time continuum. So I started to use fingers more and more until evolution made the pick extinct. I have the greatest difficulty using one properly now, although I'll have to try agan because of my realisation that a large percentage of my favourite bassists are pick players.

7. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    the following entire albums were (I'm almost 100% positive) recorded with a 4001: Hemispheres, A Farewell to Kings, Permanent Waves, 2112. Most of Fly By Night, and parts of Moving Pictures as well. Plus, you can check the live records Exit Stage Left, or All The World's A Stage; those are both beyond the shadow of a doubt 100% Ric goodness

8. Alright, sweet, thanks man. I actually have those all on vinyl. To be honest, I haven't listened to Rush in the longest time. I'm not too sure why that is...I'll check it out.

9. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    All previous to moving pictures except the very first on named Rush which is on a P bass. Closer to the heart, Xanadu, The spirit of the radio,

10. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Not to split hairs too much here, but all of Side 2 of Fly By Night is the P as well...

11. Rickenbacker with fingers only. Stopped using a pick in the late 80's. Currently strung with round-wound D'Addario XLs.

12. RSNG

RSNG

Sep 6, 2010
    I play my 4003 fingerstyle. The pickup cover is in exactly the wrong place, but I play around it.

I started out, many years ago, playing with a pick. That's mainly because I was primarily a guitar player at the time. And, I took some lessons from Carol Kaye. She is exclusively a pick player, and that's what she teaches. And, I was really into Chris Squire and Felix Papalardi. I loved Jimi too, and Noel always used a pick.

I'm pretty much all finger style now. If I use a pick, I need to shorten my strap to get my right arm at the correct angle. That's usually too much of a hassle.

13. Really? I wasn't aware of that. I guess you do learn something new every day.
    Thanks,
    Brent

14. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Same here, though I will use a pick if the tune needs it.
    I started out using a pick exclusively, but I must admit I'm nowhere near as good as I used to be at playing with a pick.

15. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I play with just my fingers. Always have and probably always will. 4003 with Chromes. I have one of those Treble Bezels so I anchor my thumb on that and play behind the bridge pickup. If I'm playing a really fast part, I'll rest my thumb on the actual pickup housing for an angle of attack that I find easier to play high speeds with.

16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I will keep collecting until I have 40 basses
    Playing a Ric without a pick
    ruby02.jpg

Playing one with a pick.
    m2m704-07s.jpg

17. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Well, you look way cooler with the pick!

18. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    I use both methods, but I must say a 4003 sounds great when the string is plucked with a finger in a kind of a rounded up stroke.

19. deste

deste

Sep 14, 2009
    Bologna, Italy, Europe
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    I did it, when I used to have one (20yrs ago).

20. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    And portions of Permanent Waves were the Jazz.

I play fingerstyle and have Fender tapes (9120M) on an '08 4003FL, Fender flats (9050CL) on a '73 4001FL, and Chromes on a '72 4001. I'm looking for recommendations on a set of nickel rounds for the fretted '72. I hear nickel is much kinder to frets than are SS strings.