Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who plays a T-40

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stonedbassist, Mar 17, 2002.

1. stonedbassist

stonedbassist Guest

Mar 16, 2002
    chicagoland
    Anybody besides me like old Peavey T-40's?
    Mines 1980 model with natural finnish and weighs a ton.

2. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I had one briefly last year, an '83 model with what I'd call a burgundy finish. Someone who owned it long before me scratched off the "T-40" logo on the headstock for some reason, and the thing was beat up badly, all sorts of little knicks and bruises everywhere, but it had the best organic sound of any bass I've ever owned. The massive dual humbuckers still, in my opinion, give actives a good run for their money.

3. I do. I don't know what year it is, but it has non-exposed polepieces, and the case is molded w/ a brown liner. It rules. It's what I learned to play on, and is just such a full sound. It rules.

4. stonedbassist

stonedbassist Guest

Mar 16, 2002
    chicagoland
    you can find out the year if you go to the bass forum at peavey.com and give them the SN, they will reply within the next day. thats how i found out mine was a 1980

5. Cool. It's out on loan right now...but I'll go grab the SN offa it.

thanks man.

6. stonedbassist

stonedbassist Guest

Mar 16, 2002
    chicagoland
    no prob man

what finnish is yours, i've only seen them in natural, except one that was black.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I used to have a black one, and I will have one again, when I see one for the right price.

Very underrated bass. Within that weird Peavey circuitry lurketh a myriad of knightly tones.

8. i am the proud owner of a 1979 white peavey t-40 and yes, the thing weighs aton!! but, what monster output and tone!!! i don't play it that often, but when i whip it out and after the laughter has subsided, people are amazed at what this behemouth produces... all hail the t 40!!!!

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I've never played one, but our 'manager' /studio owner has one in his control room just kinda sitting there. It's a natural finish and has a set of those black tapewound strings on it! It's the only one I'd ever seen!

10. The very first bass I played was a T-40. Those basses are damn fine!! I love the weight to them, and that E string is just great!!

11. ...my old T40 ruled. It was a '79 and the reason I bought it was because it had been used [apparently] to smash a few skinheads over who gatecrashed a private gig.

What a legacy...

Anyhoo, great tone, that out of phase switched ruled.

12. I have a '79 T-40. It was my uncle's and he gave it to me to learn to play on. Mine is natural. I love it. It has such a range of tone but it sucks that it ways a ton. Mine is in pretty good condition. It doesn't have any major dings in it just a few minor ones on the body edge.

13. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Yep, it was my first bass. Black... I don't know what year it was, I'll have to check the number. Those chrome pick-ups are too cool. Damn is it heavy. I probably haven't actually played it in about ten years, I should re-string it and give it a whirl....

14. stonedbassist

stonedbassist Guest

Mar 16, 2002
    chicagoland
    the very edge of the body, where my arm rests is tuning green from my sweat. is this normal?

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Does yours have the natural oil finish?

16. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    There's one at my local dealer calling out to me, but I can't justify it since I already have a great bass, and don't need two. It really rocks though!

17. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    My uncle bought a natural finish in late 70's or early 80's it has a natural finish and really has a great sound. I started to buy one a couple of years back I bought a used Yamaha instead. I wish that I would have bought the T-40 to just have it to hang on. I think that it is a great classic.

I play a MIM J bass now that I have made a couple of upgrades.

Steve