Who plays a Travis Bean Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rosiewolfnote, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Does anyone know of bands who have bass players who play Travis Beans (TB 2000's)? I know of Shellac, The Poster Children, Form of Rocket...but I am coming up short thinking of any others.
  2. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    The most important band of all-Rolling Stones. Bill Wyman played a short scale version.
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Take a look here for some band links to Bean users: http://www.travisbeanguitars.com

Besides Wyman, I saw John Kahn playing a Bean with the Jerry Garcia Band at one show a zillion years ago.

I've posted pics and sound clips of my Bean fretless here on TB a number of times. It's a great instrument. :bassist:
  4. BadComrade

May 18, 2005
    Mick Karn from the band Japan played a fretless Travis Bean 2000.

The bass player for the band Low plays a yellow TB2000.

The bass player for Boston band LaPeste played a red TB2000.

Tim Midgett played a TB4000 "wedge" in Silkworm.

I play these:

1977 Lefty TB2000 (inscribed by Travis Bean and partner Marc!)

1977 TB4000 "Wedge" converted to lefty

Why do you ask who plays TB2000s? Just interested in hearing what they sound like?
  5. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

Sorry to resurrect a 2 year old thread, but...

holy crap, somebody else knows about LaPeste?!?!?!?

I don't think I've even thought about those guys in 30 years, but I used to see them play at the Rat or InSquare Men's Bar, and my band was on the first Modern Method compilation album (A Wicked Good Time) along with them. So weird to see their name turn up here!
  6. peggyfoster

Jan 13, 2010
    I used a Travis Bean fretless on a couple of Steve Vai's albums. Steve's website has an mp3 clip of some of it (Salamanders in the Sun on the Flexable Album way down at the bottom of a long list of his albums).
  7. My Disco uses both Travis Bean Guitars and Basses
  8. hlava

Jan 22, 2010

your tb looks like nobody has ever used it. is it a museum bass?
  9. stranded horse

stranded horse

Dec 8, 2009
    outer space
    [ ] yes [ ] no
    Is there a TB bass that is similar to the TB-500 guitar in black?
    Whoever has seen Steve Albini's TB-500 will understand me. Sexiest bitch I've every laid my eyes upon!
  10. hlava

Jan 22, 2010
    as far as i know - NO!