1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who plays bass on Ella wishes you a swinging Christmas?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Uncletoad, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Its Ella Fitzgerald (Chris' Mother) with the Frank DeVol Orchestra Recorded July 15,16 and August 5 1960 in NYC.

He's doing this super sick walking on Let it Snow up in Thumb position. Sounds amazing and grooves like mad...yikes.

2. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    I've heard some of that. I don't know, but I would guess that it was Wendell Marshall, who was Jimmy Blanton's cousin, and a Duke Ellington Orchestra alumni. He did alot of recording work during that era in NYC. What's the prize for the right answer?

My other guess would be Milt Hinton, "The Judge". If it wasn't the Judge himself, he probably knew him........; Maybe Bill Lee. And of course, Ray Brown and Ella were married for a time.

Quite possible as well that it was a person that never became famous, there are always tons of "unsung" players like that.

There are a whole lot of recordings without personnel credits, it can drive ya mad, I say!

3. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    The satisfaction of knowing even more useless trivia than me.

Sounds like Milt or Ray but it's really gutish sounding and Ray would have been steel by then. Actually I think a ton of people had gone steel by then.

What do I know. I've got the flu and I can't hear a thing through this head of mush. Gonna sound really good tonight I'm sure:rollno: .

4. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Trivia is always good escape mechanism, keeps the brain's cobwebs in line and your psyche in tune. Oh dear, mush and guts. Sounds messy. Have a good one!:D