Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Abluesbassist, May 5, 2003.

2. first off stop yelling, it's considered impolite to type in all caps because it's the equivalent of screaming.

now to answer your question. i've been playing a 6 string fretless for about a year and a half now. I started off using it in few places because i had the mindset that it was too much of a solo/expresive instrument but lately i've been using it exclusively for everything i do.

i started off using TI jazz flats but i felt that they lacked a little bit of bite so i switched to nickel roundwounds. i think it really brings out even more mwah than it had before.
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    No need to shout, dear sir :) Who's making your custom? I'm having a custom 6-string fretless built starting in a couple weeks.
  4. hey guys sorry about the yelling didn't mean to.

anyway the guy building my bass is my guitar tech he used to work for Lane Poor awhile ago. in fact he gave me some old LP's 6string pick ups to put in it i can't wait for it to be done.
  5. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    wow, that can't hurt. LP's are hard to come by these days. Have you spec'd it out yet? Any details to share? Maybe w/ some more specifics some folks could make more suggestions.

I like Black Nylon Tapewound strings for fretless myself, but I don't know if they make any 6 string sets. Lots of folks like flatwounds for fretless. What will your fingerboard be? Ebony?

Keep us posted!
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i have a fretless 6 string thumb, basically because i couldn't find a fretless 5 string warwick while i was looking, and this one popped up at a price too good to pass up.

still haven't really wrapped my head around that skinny string yet, but it's getting there ;)
  7. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Xush, what is your preferred black tapewound? I'm still thinking of putting Roto's on my Fbass but am also considering Labella's. I wish I could find a black string in a roundwound though.

I would like to try a 6 string fretless for my main bass - anybody interested in a trade for either a Sukop or MTD fretless 5?
  8. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've been using the LaBella's; they come pretty cheap thru Carvin online. I like 'em! The Roto's are similar, but the Fenders were not to my liking. They are much thinner, and feel more like a wrapped round-wound to me.

I found some black coated round-wounds at juststrings.com but it doesn't seem to indicate what brand they are. Maybe some one has tried these out?
    black coated rounds

There's a guy selling an FBB 6f in the classified section, says he's only looking to trade for an MTD. Not sure if he wants fretless though...
    FBB ad
  9. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have a Pedulla Hexabuzz that I got in 1994. I use GHS Boomers on it.

10. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Mark, thanks for the heads-up, as usual you are a fountain of knowledge. I'm probably going to spring for those coated round-wounds if I can find out what brand they are. I agree, the Fender tapewounds don't have the sound or feel. I've only tried Roto's on my Rob Allen. Of the Labella or Roto, do you know which string sounds more "mainstream?"

FBB? Guess I'll have to do some research on them.
  11. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I PM'd ya.
  12. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

I have a 7 string fretless, so I guess Im not allowed to post here..

:( :(

Guess I'd better call JT and let him know to take his 8 string fretless back home..

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm using this:

I love it. I'm debating whether to have it modified with a Roland GK-2B (it's going to require routing, unfortunately) for the VBass, or to just spend the extra $$$ and have Greg build me something from scratch.

I love it, and I use TI Jazz Rounds on it. Plenty of mwah, and still not tingy like most roundwounds. In the photo, the bass is wearing Jazz Flats, which sounded good, but didn't quite get the sound I wanted out of it.

As for tapewounds, I've got them on my 6 string ABG, but only for 5 of the strings (the high C is a TI Jazz flat). They do sell a 6 string set of LaBella Tapes at www.juststrings.com, but they are over $60, and I couldn't justify the expense. The Jazz Flat works really well with the tapewounds, though. If you weren't looking at the bass, you probably couldn't even tell. If anything, it helps with the projection of the C string compared to the rest.
  14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I play 6 string fretless about equally with 6 string fretted--sometimes one a little more than the other, then the pendulum tends to swing back. For my 6 string fretless ABG, I've been using Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats for a bit more of an upright vibe. On my solidbody 6 string fretless, I usually use roundwounds--Carvin lately, mainly because they're cheap and not terrible. I use the fretless mostly according to mood, or what the song seems to be telling me--or, more pragmatically, if someone requests it. I generally won't use the fretless for a straightahead rock thing, but I might or might not for almost anything else. I tend to bring it out when somebody wants something melodic, unless the fretted works out better.

One of the big temptations I find I have to avoid is over-mwahing everything. Sonically, that gets very tiresome. Mwah IMO is a great tone tool, but if overused, it can be the fretless equivalent of yelling all the time--or, for that matter, of typing in all caps (no offense, just teasing a little ;) ).
  15. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Richard, I couldn't agree with you more about the mwah thing, actually I try to avoid it. I just love the feel of fretless, in fact, I just picked up a VERY nice fretted Sadowsky 5, as nice as it is, I still prefer my fretless basses. Where I differ, is that I do use fretless for straight ahead rock. Noone has complained yet ;)
  16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Hi, I'am having a FBB-6-string fretless built.
    I have played fretless for 15-years, and spent to much money looking for good fretless strings.
    These are all good fretless strings.
    TI-Jazz Rounds
    Ken Smith Compressers
    GHS-Pressure wounds
    DI-Low Riders-Nickel wound
    Any good Tape Wound
  17. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Just found out the juststrings.com black coated round-wounds are nickel strings made by Black Diamond. I thought I'd heard that somewhere before, but here's confirmation.

PM'd you with a question, Mojo-man.
  18. I actually just sold my last fretless 6, but I played one of the old series Fodera 6's from '91 'til last August with a Carvin LB76F as a backup. like Richard Lindsey, I play both fretted and fretless.

I'm one of those mwah freaks, so I use rounds. I favored the Fodera Diamond strings and switched to DR High Beams to get the sound I like.

since the next fretless will be an 8 string, I'm not sure what I'll use. it's gonna be a while 'til I get the scratch together anyway...

from the low end,

19. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Black Diamonds, anybody ever play them?
  20. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    well, phooey. Looks like the Black Diamond black coated black nickel black strings black don't come in a 6-string set. Sorry to get any hopes up.

I think I might try a set of 4 though...