Who plays more than one bass at a gig?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Eilif, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    I am curious as to who brings more than one bass and actually brings a second bass as more than just a backup.

For the longest time I brougt a passive fretted and an active frettless to all my gigs. Now that I have a new active 5 fretted, I am actually thinking of leaving the frettless at home. Reaons...

I only wanted the frettless sound for one or two songs

I want one of my basses to be passive (just in case)

I like the new active fretted I have so much.

So here's the Question

Those who bring more than one bass to a gig TO PLAY, what kind do you bring?
  2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    I bring both my Jazz Bass and my Carvin LB75 fretless to rehearsals and gigs. In the style of music I play, both have a place. Why not bring all three if you can fit them on the stage?
  3. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Yes, I use more than one bass. In the past, it's been a fretted Jazz and a fretless Jazz. We play some Stray Cats tunes as well as some slower stuff that just needs the fretless sound. Going forward we're in the process of changing the setlists around, adding some new stuff, and I am also upgrading my gear. We've added a few acoustic tunes that I am going to play on my Fender GB-41 acoustic. Also, we're splitting the set into an early set of more bluesy rock, which I'll likely play using my soon to arrive Lakland Joe Osborn strung with flats. The second and third sets are more rocking tunes, and I'll use a bass strung with DR Lo-Rider roundwounds for those songs, for now the Geddy Lee, and the Darryl Jones whenever it shows up.

Yeah, it's overkill, but I do like changing things up and getting a different sound for different material.
  4. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Depends on the gig. Most of my work is on my NS EUB but I will always have my Sad as a back up just in case something goes wrong. Sometimes I bring my fretless but it is not as good a bass as my others. I need to upgrade that bass.
  5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I don't play my 5-string unless I need it, so I switch between my Tobias and my Sterling.

Even if I didn't, I'd always take a backup with me. Silly not to.
  6. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    For most gigs I'll bring a fretted Fender Jazz and a Fretless Fender Jazz. The fretless usually gets the most work. I switch when we do funky stuff requiring slap playing.
  7. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I have a fretted and fretless at just about every live gig (different gear for recording). Depending on the type of job one may get used more than another. The added benefit is that I always have a back-up with me.

The disadvantage is that I don't like having to switch basses in the middle of a set, but it seems to be happening more and more lately. What I really need to do is hone my fretless skills more to make it sound a little less "fretless-ly" ... :eyebrow:
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I pick two of the basses I own;). That can encompass a whole lot of combinations. Last night it was a Brubaker XTreme 5 and an MTD 635. Tonight I'll probably take my basses that went to the NAMM show and made it back: Brubaker Xtreme 6 and NBS Custom fretless 5.

I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it, most of my basses are great on gigs.
  9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Depends on the gig.

Typically, I prefer to have at least 2, one for a backup in case there's a problem with my primary bass.
  10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It can be done. A plus is it's fun to watch the double takes when someone notices you're playing fretless without the usual telltale results:D
  11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Having a backup is always a good thing.

Depending on how into the bass I'm playing I am or how I think the one I'm not playing might fit in the set, I may switch, I may not.
  12. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I use my Active Fretted P-bass, and my Passive Fretless Jazz. Some songs call for fretless, some songs call for fretted. I use what's needed.

13. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    1st set: fretless jazz.

rest of night: fretted Blade bass
  14. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I usually bring at least a fretted 4 and a fretted 5. Depending on the gig I will add a fretless, my EUB, and/or a backup fretted 4.
  15. I usually bring 2 basses to play at gigs. If I bring my fretless Jazz Bass, I usually bring along my Hamer 2-Tek Cruisebass. If I bring my P-clone, I usually bring my Rumblefish. It depends on nhow I feel.
  16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have always taken at least 2 basses to gigs. For backup purposes, if nothing else.

Long ago, I had the batteries in the preamp of my Cirrus 5 go dead in the middle of a song. No backup along, so I had to spend 5 minutes in the middle of a set changing batteries (I know--amateur mistake), but after that, I vowed to always have newer batteries in my basses, and to always have a backup bass along.
  17. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    My Pedulla Thunderbolt (active) or my Lakland Skyline JO (passive) are my main gigging basses. I'll take one or the other. If there's room on the stage, I'll take my Pedulla Buzz (active fretless) also.
  18. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I take a fretted Yamaha TRB5 and a fretless Carvin LB75 out. For a while I was switching based on the song, but it became a pain.

There were more and more times the bandleader would call an off-set tune or a tune in a different order, and I'd be stuck with the "wrong" bass in my hands.

Then I had my TRB rewired with new pickups and an OBP-3. It sounds great, but for whatever reason the output level is quite a bit lower than it used to be. As a result, my Carvin is a lot hotter than my Yamaha now, forcing me to monkey with the volume too much whenever I switch.

It's just too much to handle in between songs. So now I carry them both, but I play the Yamaha all night and have the Carvin as a backup only. Sometimes I even leave it in the case.
  19. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Right now I'am bringing to gigs.
    Fretted 1966 P-bass flats. Old school sound.
    Fretless custom 4-string.
    I play whatever bass I feel ilke playing, during gig.
    About 70% fretless the rest fretted.
  20. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Unless it's a very short gig, I like to have a fretted and fretless bass on hand.