Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who plays on MJ's "Earth Song"?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Oysterman, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Just heard this Michael Jackson song for the first time since I started to really get into bass. As a non-bassist, I didn't notice the great bass line and bass tone that recording has - I definitely did notice it today! So, does anyone know who it is? Nathan East?

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hmm...the musician credits for History list 7 different bass players. None of them are Nathan East though so he's ruled out. If you want the list let me know...don't know how it would really help though. Too bad they don't list by song.

brad cook

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Allmusic.com lists Nathan East...

4. Alex Al ?

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's for disc 1. The actual CD lists credits for disc 1 and 2 separately and disc 2 has Earth Song.
    I think East played on the Bad album.

brad cook

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Ah, I see! So it's not East then. That would leave me without a clue, for he was the only bassist I'm familiar with. As far as I'm concerned, it could be any of the other ones listed... :oops:

It was probably Carol Kaye anyway.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    LOL... :D

It probably wasn't Louis Johnson too (I don't hear any thunderthumb going on in there)..I don't know though. The other guys I've never heard of.

brad cook

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It was Guy Pratt, UK session bass dude. He also played on "Like A Prayer" by Madonna, which has some really nice playing on it.

If I remember correctly, he used a Status through an octaver on both recordings.

Legend has it that Guy never even got paid for the MJ session!
    :mad:

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Many thanks, David!

And welcome to Talkbass! :)

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Wasn't Bad synth bass? I've not paid attention to the bass on that album, but I refuse to believe that the Speed Demon bass line was played on a bass!

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    He usually has synth bass on some songs and regular bass on other songs. East is definitely credited with bass on that album. Not sure which song or songs he played on.

brad cook

12. He has also played with Pink FLoyd for years if I'm not wrong.. He played in the Pulse tour. yup