1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who plays out with their SX bass'???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by savit260, Apr 4, 2006.

1. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Who else plays out with thier SX basses?? Let's see some pics of these things in action.

2. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some of them are practicing.
    It's an SX J-Bass. Sexy, uh?

3. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Cool pics r6mile!! Great to see them getting played.

I guess I sould put pics up too.

show100.
    show099.
    show102. @ The Living Room Providence R.I. 4/1/06

deathandtaxes-16.

O'Briens Allston Ma, Photo by Michael Byrne www.mb-imaging.net

4. HAWKINS

HAWKINS

Nov 10, 2003
    South Carolina
    r6mile: be careful in that basement....one of the photos shows some kind of prop holding up the ceiling!

5. You want to know why? Some of you must remember that on October 8th 2005 there was a terrible earthquake in Pakistan that killed 40000 people (and many others died of illnesses, hunger, etc...). Well we had to put those "props" to hold the ceiling because there were some "cracks". It holds fine lol.

6. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Huh?? With the Gazillion posts about SX basses, I would have thought there would be more than just me and r6mile that actually play them! There must be at least a few more somewhere between Boston, and Pakistan.

7. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I've played a couple of gigs with my SX fretless Jazz fiver. I don't have any pics yet though.

I just need to put some new strings and some Fralins in and I'd be set. :hyper:

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I must have at least 30 or 40 gigs on my SX 5 string by now. I own several more expensive basses, but this one quickly became my main bass and I love it! :hyper:

9. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I played a gig with my sx sjb75 5-string. It performed well, and I enjoyed it, but my 55-01 came a month later and the sx was sold to a friend. That said, my experience with sx basses (mine and my brothers) leads me to believe, that I would feel totally confident gigging with an SX if I had to.
    No dig on SX, I just have better instruments now.

10. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    I actually play mine (along with an equally inexpensive and remarkable Kramer), but A) we haven't played out anywhere and B) I don't have any photos yet.

Looks like we're booked to play a 24 hour benefit marathon ("cancer never sleeps") in June (and we get to pick any time slot we want, how often do you get to gig at like 4AM?) and we may have a paying private gig next month, so maybe I'll have a photo to add before long.

'rick

11. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    That looks like it's got a real nice looking Flame Mapel neck on it. It's crazy how nice the wood is they use on these things. I also own more expensive (much, much more expensive) basses than the SX, but it's my #1 workhorse bass too. Lost count of how many shows it's been used on.

12. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Good luck with the gig, and make sure to get some pics.!!

13. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I've played a number of gigs with my SX. Don't see why it would be an anomaly for someone to use a cheap bass at a gig, when there's many guys who won't bring their expensive bass to one.

I really like gigging with an SX. I can bang it around, and it sounds good. The best part is the incredulous look you get from someone who compliments your tone and playing when you tell them it's a $100 bass made in China.

14. The Lone Strang

The Lone Strang

Jun 28, 2005
    I used mine four nights in a high school production of grease. Honestly, only bass players can tell the difference. The people honestly don't care the name on your bass. They just wanna have a good time.

15. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    I just had a gospel gig with my SX last sunday. Dont have any pics but i have another Gig with my SX this sunday and will be sure to have pics.

16. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, the flame maple neck is just awesome! I can't believe it's a $100 bass.

And Maverick, I've also got a crazy cheap but crazy good YoKramer that I gigged with for over a year, but it's a 4 string so I don't play it any more. I've thought about selling it, but the resale value would come nowhere near it's "great playing bass value" so I'm keeping it in case I ever go back to 4 strings . . .

17. bass4nds

bass4nds

Sep 23, 2005
    Playing a Katrina Benefit concert a few months ago... I still play the heck outta the thing. It's a hot bass, methinks.

nds9.

18. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i played my SX nearly every week at church for nealy a year. it was ok for the price, at the end of the day it sounded like a bass, and thats all the audience cares about.

i sold it after i got my bongo, as i just didn't need it anymore.

19. God bless you for your contribution to Katrina relief!!

20. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    [​IMG]