Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who plays that nice bass line on a song called Rain??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Martha01, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Martha01

Martha01

Sep 20, 2002
    I just heard this song on the radio and i dont know who sings it or play the bass line but its the best bass line i heard to this point.

Can anyone tell me about the song and who played that basslines??

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The one that goes "When the rain comes, they run and hide their heads, they might as well be dead, when the rain comes"?

That be the Beatles, with Paul McCartney on bass, dude.

3. Rain- The Beatles
    Main Songwriter- John Lennon
    Lead Vocal- John Lennon
    Bass-Paul McCartney

The song was part of a 'double A' single- along with Paperback Writer, I think?- so it wasn't on a Beatles album, but you can find it on the compilation CD, "Past Masters- Volume Two."

4. Martha01

Martha01

Sep 20, 2002
    have he skills on bass and what sort of bass do he play and how did he develop his playing skills???

Anything about him would be great

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

well let's see...You gotta go back about 40 years ago. He was in the Beatles. He wrote and sang songs. He was known as the "cute" one.
    He also came up with some surprisingly original and hooky bass chops. "Taxman" comes to mind. He was famous for playing the violin shaped Hofner bass almost exclusively. Later pictures (Magical Mystery Tour and with the band Wings) shows him sporting a Rickenbacker.
    His style is almost exclusively Pop oriented type songs. Hope this helps.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    good answer by p.aaron. check out day tripper for a cool bass line too. also pretty much anything off of abbey road, and wings' silly love songs and band on the run both have great bass lines too, imo.

7. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    "Sgt. Pepper" has some incredible bass-playing , as does the White Album.
    Anyonr who would diss Paul as a bassist should really listen carefully to these examples.

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Zack? Is that you???

;)

9. :D

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    It's also on the semi-official "Hey Jude" LP/CD

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois

Welcome to our planet!

12. Larry,
    I think that most of us who diss Sir Paul's bass playing are talking about his recent work. I long for the incredibly masterful melodic playing of his Sgt. Pepper/Magical Mystery Tour/ Come Together days.
    "Lovely Rita" being another great bass part in particular.

He seems to be resting on his laurels these days bass-wise.:(

13. Cmon guys! Its not Zack! its his Ma, MArtha..;)

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    What, did you stop paying attention? Paul's recent work is fine. I know it's kind of "old" but I consider his line on Elvis Costello's "Veronica" to be one of his best. What more would you want for "My Brave Face"?

15. Well... I'll give 'em another listen, maybe I've missed something. I will ALWAYS love the bass pioneer in Paul and have the highest respect for his innovations but I still get frustrated how far and few between his truly creative bass lines come down the pike these days IMHO.

16. zack01

zack01

Aug 3, 2002
    listen to the songs From a lover to a friend and all the other songs on that one and you hear how good he still is

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Actually Paul didn't play bass on much of Driving Rain. But he did do some of the songs.

18. zack01

zack01

Aug 3, 2002
    You have not the album Driving Rain if you say that he didnt play bass on most of the songs on it?

I dont know what album you talking about because on the Driving Rain album Paul plays on 14 of 16songs on it and he even uses his old Rickenbacker on one song but he on the others he plays with the famous hofner bass

19. NukeBass

NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    Not to be a stickler, but McCartney played one of the new C64 Rickenbackers on that song from Driving Rain. He was recording in California and the CEO of Rickenbacker (I think it is John Hall[?]) brought him a C64 to try out. The bad thing is, I really couldn't tell a tone difference between the Rickenbacker and the Hoffner, plus the song he used it on wasn't a great bass line song. He should have used it on the first tune of the album...

Has he even used his old Rickenbacker since the late 80's? (Before or after Flowers in the Dirt)