Who plays the tuba?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Apr 29, 2002.

1. I play the tuba as well as bass.

13 vote(s)
  2. I don't play the tuba.

21 vote(s)
  3. I used to play the tuba but never went anywhere with it.

4 vote(s)
  4. What's a tuba? Does it have anything to do with carrots?

7 vote(s)
  1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I've been playing the tuba for a few years now, and bass for about a year. I find that playing one makes playing the other a lot easier. I know theory from the tuba and conventional band classes. That helps me compose songs for my band.

Does anyone else out there play the tuba? Feel the way I do?

I want to be a professional tuba player later in life. Tuba is my career plan and my passion, and bass is just a passion (maybe a side job):D I am really good at tuba (or so I'm told) and getting good at bass. I hope they can both offer me a future.
  2. i don't play it, but i'm friends with a "Jazz Tuba" player :D
  3. Mellem

Feb 1, 2002
    Greenville, MI
    I play the Baritone, does that count? I play treble clef though, so I still had to learn bass clef.
  4. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Baritone- eh,, lets call it the tenor tuba. Different name. Same instrument. I guess it works :D

Treble clef? What the h3!! kinda low brass player are you?;)
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I played Tuba for about a year. Wasn't terrible, but I was forced onto it by a band teacher.
  6. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Yeah, dude! I've been playing tuba for about 14 years and bass guitar for 13 years. I actually double on tuba and bass in one of the bands I'm in. I also play strictly tuba in 2 other bands(as well as strictly bass in 2 other bands). I'm in too many bands!

After years of borrowing instruments from schools I finally bought a Sanders Imperial BBb a couple years ago. What kind of instrument do you play?

You looking to major in tuba performance in college? I know some good schools. Good luck!
  7. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I play a St. Petersburg 201N BBb. I want to get a C soon, (no $). I just bought it a few months ago. I LOVE it like no other. good times. What schools? I want to double major music ed and performance. Check it out.
  8. LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    I play the tuba! I have an early '60s Satin Silver Miraphone 186-5U CC (probably converted from a BBb) that needs some work at the moment (don't slam your horn down in the practice room!). I was a music ed major, but decided that wasn't what I wanted to do. I still take lessons and play in performing groups (I love playing in small groups).
  9. I play bass trombone, and I like beer and bratwurst, so is that close enough?

I like the tuba playing in the band Drums & Tuba, and also some New Orleans funk stuff.
  10. I've just gone to lower and lower instruments. Started on french horn, moved to trombone after a year, moved to bass trombone after a year, and 2 years later, i just recently switched over to tuba, and I started playing bass in December.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I played tuba in junior high, high school and college. I was a better tuba player than I am a bass guitar player.
  12. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    That's a nice horn! Looks alot like mine. Yeah, you'll probably want a C especially if you're going to plan on playing in orchestra in college or beyond. As far as schools, the instructor I was thinking of no longer teaches at the University of Arizona. I guess I could plug where I went, Central Michigan University; really good Music Ed. school but not noted for performance. Mark Cox teaches there; he graduated from Eastman. Phil Sinder teaches at Michigan State; I've heard good things about him. Hope this helped a little!
  13. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I definitely want to get a CC as soon an I can get the cash. Later in life, I want to be on a symphony orchestra. Just my dream. Maybe the New York Phil or the National Symphony Orchestra...

Some schools that I have looked at are
    • Eastman
    • Ithica (NY)
    • Cincinatti concervatory(sp?)
    • Indiana State University
    • University of Maryland
    • Berklee
    (no particular order)

My instructor, Scott Cameron, is in the Army field band. he went to Indiana and Maryland. I want to go to Eastman as my "dream", but realistically, I am looking at Maryland. Not many people know that they have a really good music school there. It'd be good for me because it is in state, so it is cheaper. I am only a sophomore, so I am still finding information on other options, but I have my heart set on Eastman (If I'm amazingly lucky).

I also want to get a good E or F tuba. another $5000 down the drain...:rolleyes:

If only I was rich...
  14. Aren't E-flats primarily used in British-style brass bands anyway?
    I don't play tuba, but I've heard those St. Petersburg tubas like you've got are a good deal.
  15. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'm thinking hambone plays tuba as well...
  16. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Sounds like you got it all figured out already! Good luck!

P.S. Where'd you get that St. Petersburg tuba? I had to get mine through a special distributor.
  17. Mellem

Feb 1, 2002
    Greenville, MI
    I switched from Trumpet to the "Tenor Tuba" so I decided to stick w/ treble clef. I know, I'm a dissapointment to all that is sacred in the meat & potatoes section.
  18. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    The reason I want to get a F or an E-flat is for upper range soloing. I am working on a grade 6 solo (hard as @#$%). The range goes so unbelievably high (20+ g string). The F or E-flat would make it easier in the higher range.
    My St. Pete was a great deal. It isn't a widely known brand, and it has a bad reputation from past technical errors, so the cost was way lower that it should have been (thank god!!) It cost $1850. A tuba of same quality in a well known name.... $4000-5000. :D

Baltimore Brass Company
    My instructor knows the guy who owns/operates the store. I went with Scott to the store, and he helped me pick out the best tuba for me.

Good times:D :D
  19. Yikes, that is high. It'll still be high on a E-fer, wow.
    Speaking of high tuba-ing, I recall once when my brother was listening to a Stanton Moore (great drummer) album he had just bought, he called me in to hear "this cool trombone solo. . .though the guy isn't credited in the liner notes." (I'm a trombonist). I listened for a few bars, and realized it was actually the tubist.
    As an out of shape college student, my high range could use some work.
  20. lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I have a 1962 Conn 21J BBb tuba. I don't practice very much, but can actually play in front of people a few times a year. I play with a zydeco/new orleans band and sometimes bring bass guitar,upright and tuba to the same gig. I need a tractor-trailer for all that junk.