1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who prefers the look of a J sans pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    I do prefer the pickguardless look of a J. My Js don't have a pickguard anymore.

2. Definitely. I could own a J with a pickguard but the best looking ones do without.

3. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    I like the guard.

4. BIGmackie

BIGmackie

Jul 13, 2010
    I love the look of J's without pickguards. First time I saw the bass of doom I was sold! Imagine my disappointment finding out that MIM J's have a giant ugly route under their pickguard.

5. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    When I bought my Jaco Tribute, the pickguard was included, but not installed.

I installed it. :D

Jaco%20Tribute.

Ah, much better!

~esa

6. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    My Warmoth JJ bass has a P body with no pickguard.

My first Fender was a 85 Jazz Bass Special (PJ) that has a P body and no pickguard, so I got used to that.

7. macribas

macribas

Jan 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    A J bass without a pickguard makes no sense. The pickguard is part of the bass design. Without it the bass looks like it's missing something. Kind of like a shirtless guy in the middle of the city.
    The same applies to any pickguard-less bass that has a metal plate for the controls, like some G&Ls. Weird.
    Oh, and I own a Squier VM Fretless (Jaco lookalike).

8. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    +1

9. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    On a figured top, definitely no guard.

On a classic color like 3TB, it just looks right. :D

10. I pretty much think any jazz looks good without the guard. Sunburst look great with a black or tort one on but they still look better without. Control or not, jazzes look best naked.

11. With all due respect, I'm the total opposite. I really don't care for J's without guards, unless there is no control plate. Looks incomplete or stripped IMHO.

12. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    I'm thinking of getting a white Warmoth J body to build a J that will have a clean, pure "naked" look.

13. Classickbass

Classickbass

Aug 15, 2010
    Kingston, TN
    Who needs a pickguard when you play with your fingers?! I like the no pickguard look on all basses, J's included.

14. A Jazz Bass needs a pickguard, block inlays, bridge and pickup covers. Without any one of these, it just doesn't look right. I understand some people find the covers get in the way, but I am speaking only of looks. But they don't get in my way; my elbows bend and I can move my hands.

15. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    I don't even know what block inlays are

16. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder

Nov 1, 2009
    I think the guard is a design element and makes sense to keep.
    And figured tops look too "uptown" for my taste.
    But if I were playing fretless in a smooth jazz or brazilian bossa or tropicale band, then a figured top, no guard, caramel burst finish and barts would be the ticket. I had a Lull like that. Sold it when I joined an alt country band.

17. I hate having plastic on a bass. It just cheapens the whole look. To me, the no pickguard look is very sexy. With control plate or without. Especially on a bass with a beautiful top. Makes no sense to cover it up.

18. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    For me, it depends on the color scheme. I love Geddy's red/maple J without the pickguard, and I wish I could ditch the guard on my Candy Cola/maple Jazz V. The maple next to that dark red is gorgeous, but the nasty routs force me to keep the guard. However, I wouldn't want to go without the guard on my Midnight Blue/rosewood G&L JB.

19. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    I don't like cheap looking PG's. Or decals, stickers, labels, or extreme looking PG's on any bass body. But the right PG on a J looks better than a naked J to me. Someone please post pics of J's that they think look better w/o. Although I've seen many beautiful basses, I've seen more beautiful ones with PG's. However, no PG looks better than ugly PG's.

20. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    agree with above: depends on the color scheme. Here is my fret-less Tele-J:
    TeleJL.JPG
    but less is more on this bass. Given my druthers, I'd also like it rear load, so there was no control plate either.