1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who put the EEK in Control Freak?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BigOleBoogie, Sep 12, 2008.

1. BigOleBoogie

BigOleBoogie

Apr 10, 2007
    Indiana
    The presentation was a disco medley.

The band consists of two front females, male keys/guitar/sax/vox, male guitar, male drums/vox, female bass.

The reason for the medley presented by me (female bass) was that the issues are as I saw and heard them were the booking agency wasn't paying enough attention to the band, the dance floor was empty at least half the night, in some places most of the night. The leader, one female front does not connect with the audience and choses to call songs out and read the crowd to ill effect and sometimes will say "alriiiiiiight...we're going to do...song name" "Who's a fan of artist or band name" up to 6-7 times in a set and actually put her hand in the air and go WHOOOHOOOOO!!! several times a night followed by cricket noise.

I know what she's trying to do which is run this band like another band in town, but the difference is, they play minimum 3 nights every week and used to play 5-6 nights a week and have done this for 3 years current lineup. Some have been together for 15 and 18 years. I come from the same running grounds as two of those band members and know how they came about how they run their show. Through medleys. All they do is play. We work day jobs and play 2-3 weekends a month and sometimes only one of those nights each weekend. It's like trying to do Calculus in Kindergarten.

The songs: The first three are already put together.

KC & the Sunshine Band
    Get Down Tonight
    Shake Your Booty
    That's The Way
    David Christie - Saddle Up (double chorus only)
    Commodores - Brickhouse
    Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive (no piano intro for consistancy)
    Diana Ross - Upside Down
    Chic - Good Times
    Wild Cherry - Funky Music
    Rose Royce - Car Wash
    Sister Sledge - We Are Family
    K & The Gang - Celebration
    Chic - Le Freak
    Crystal Waters - 100% Pure Love

Total time take out a couple of parts approx. 40 minutes.

The band suggested cut it in half with a hard rock tune, no problem. I then go through 3 days email (albeit the nicest most passive agressive beatdown I've ever had) from the female front band leader through the drummer, her husband. I suggest we get together to "iron out the edges". Another email came. I had submitted my position. We are simply going to learn the songs while she digests this. She's not willing to give up control of running the show to a medley in two parts so she can read the crowd and do her thing. If the job was done properly and we had dancers and there weren't complaints that the booking agency would pay more attention to us I would not have done this. The band knows half of these tunes already.

It's driving me a bit crazy at this point that 4 songs have been pulled so she can call them out if nothing else is working to get dancers on the floor. I'm now asked to break it into 3 medleys, litter rock tunes in and out putting the keys/guitar guy into a instrument juggling position during a rapid fire situation. The longer this goes on, the less effective it becomes in my mind.

:help: