1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who racks an MB Fusion?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stubborne, Aug 7, 2012.

1. stubborne

stubborne

Oct 22, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    I finally creamed the front panel. Broke 1 knob off and bent two others. Apparently, it takes 5 months to repair :mad: :mad: :mad: but I digress. Anyone racking one? Don't want to compromise too much of that low-profile, lightweight portability but I reckon something needs to be done. Pics or links would be great... TIA!

Stu-

2. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    I had one in a rack for awhile. While it protected the amp, it definitely bulked up the size quite a bit. I took it out of the rack as I liked it better.

3. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I have written to a couple of the micro amp manufacturers and SKB & Gator
    about introducing a mini rack for the new maps. Of course no one replied.
    It would only make sense.
    A 19 " rack is heavier than the micro's itself.

4. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    IMHO a custom lightweight frame with grilles would be the best solution - lots of airflow, little bigger than the micro amp, and light effective protection.

Till that comes along adapted 19" racks will have to do. You could make your own case.... more on this at a later date... 'subbed

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

My MB Fusion fit in my gig bag. I found no reason to rack it. My M9 is in a rack and my GK was purchased as it was portable.

I might have bought a bag of some kind for it, but racking it IMO defeats the purpose of having a 4lb amp.

YMMV

6. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    I would recommend a Pelican style case. You can pick one up for $150 bucks new and is filled with pick and pluck foam. They are very lightweight and very durable. I think racking a lightweight head defeats the purpose of having a lightweight head in general, but that's my opinion.

7. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    The most convenient (yet still safe) load-in is not always about the lowest total weight.

I sometimes put my LMII in a rack bag, as having the rack bag's extra-large pocket for cables, pedals, etc. still allows for an easy one-trip load-in. The rack bag has a shoulder strap, so it's an almost effortless carry.

8. I use a Gator Cases G-MULTIFX-1110 case. Fits perfectly. It's not a rack case...a rack case seems ideal for the OP.

The Gator case is less than half the cost of the GK case but does not have the extra storage.

9. stubborne

stubborne

Oct 22, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    Now I'm thinking a rack case is not the way to go. I had the amp in a heavy nylon gig bag when it got injured, so I'm thinking a hard shell plastic carry case is the way to go. I've got a case designed for two hand guns, incredibly light with foam padding inside. This might be the perfect alternative - a sturdy, durable carry case that weighs less than 5 lbs.

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I have a one space rack bag that's pretty light..... I keep debating whether to mount my micro in it....... Can't seem to make myself pull the trigger....

11. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area

I just ordered an MB500 a few minutes ago from Sweetwater - and although I have a nice Targus laptop bag I could use, I may go with one of the aluminum cases from Harbor Freight. It may be a much more durable & safer method of tranport. Shipping weight is less than 3lbs & only $15.99 - might do the trick for me. The model I'm after appears only available as an in-store purchase rather than online - but that is no big deal, as I'd rather check out the quality of it in person.

12. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I know some may not want to rack-mount their units, but wanted to mention that I dug around in my collection of odd & ends and found a minty fresh Carvin 2-space rack that I never got around to using from way back in the day. Seems perfect to protect any of the GK micro heads. Mine weighs what feels like less than 2lbs, less than the actual GK MB500 (3.75lbs). I may also toss in a power strip - total racked weight should be 6-8lbs I'm thinking. Hardly a back breaker, lol. I noticed that Carvin still sells these things, but now they are vinyl-covered, whereas mine has the rat fur covering. I am not sure what today's version of these 2-space racks weigh.

13. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

Oct 21, 2011
    I can understand their reluctance. While there are many micro head on the market they vary in width. Also, there are very few other rackable components that come in micro sizes. I don't see much of a market for micro-racks...yet.