Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MOK BASS #1, Jan 31, 2005.

2. burton, the new days of metallica are really crappy. cliff was the guy that wasn't afraid to be melodic and step out of his role. i don't see newstead or trujillo doing that, just making funny faces and stomping around a stage
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ron McGovney :D
  4. +1 haha, if your going for the "real" old days.
  5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    From what I seen and heard, I like all three about equally.
  6. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I don't really like metal at all... but I still vote for Burton.
  7. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    This isn't even a fair comparison.

Jason would have been great (instead of just really good) if he'd been given room, but as great a bassist as he is, nobody that has been in the Metallica bass chair before or since has been on the level that Cliff was. He was fierce, had a great tone, and had just the right blend of chops and taste for Metallica. His compositions were some of the best stuff they did IMO. After he was gone Metallica moved into a house at 135 E Minor Rd and never came out.

And who's to say how Trujillo will do? I haven't heard anything with him on it yet. He was my favorite part of Suicidal Tendencies but his style in that band would be awful in Metallica. It's uncharted territory. But after the way things went with Jason I doubt it's going to be another Cliff situation.
  8. burton and newstead
    burton a top first and newstead a close 2nd.
  9. BURTON! he was awsome. Newstead was good, but i feel that the rest of metallica supressed his talents somewhat... the lines and stuff he wrote where good tho.
  10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    CB for sure! JN didn't really do it for me, and I don't think that RT will fit in right with the band.
  11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    As everyone has said, it's apples / oranges / car engines. Also unfair since Trujillo hasn't appeared on an album yet.
    But, that being said, Burton made the most of the bassists role in Metallica. Jason is a nice player, but he didn't seem to have the 'out there' imagination of Cliff.
  12. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Shouldn't this thread be moved to the "deceased equine" forum?

Anyway, I have to agree with Dave. Jason has great technique but he's just boring and uninspired. Granted, he had some big shoes to fill and maybe the band was keeping a short leash on him. But even when I heard his stuff with Flotsam & Jetsam way back before the "Alternica" daze, his lines just made me say "huh? why?"

Cliff was unique, inspired, and inspiring.
  13. Kevjmyers

Dec 10, 2004
    Boulder. CO
    If I'm not mistaken both were pick players correct?
  14. jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    I think Jason was there at a time when the band was changing anyway, so Cliff may have not fit into the black album as well. Metallica went from a F*CK everyone attitude to a "we want your money" attitude and Cliff did not seem to fit that mold. Jason was the perfect choice for the music the band desired to put out at the time, while Cliff's time was of a different sound entirely.
  15. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I think Burton, Newstead & Trujillo each brought something different into the mix. I think it was a question of what Metallica would let each of them do. I've yet to hear what Trujillo will bring as all of his parts were pre-recorded, I've yet to hear anything he brought to the table, other than his live recordings. I'm anxious to see what 'they' (Metallica) let him do.

If anyone doubts Newsteads ability as a bass player, then check out Flotsam & Jetsam's 'Doomsday for the Deceiver' CD.
    He's definitely got some chops.

I'll admit Burton was my fave for the mighty Met.
  16. i really think they should have gone with les claypool when they had the chance...
  17. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Les would have gotten bored and quit anyhow.

Cliffy B all the way, Jason has some great lines but you can't touch Cliff's sound.

Rob shouldn't be in this list because he hasn't recorded with them but he is also a great metal bassist.

St. Anger had no life to it so wait til the next disc to say if they are done or not.
  18. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    id vote for some guy called nick, who only lasted one jam session with james and lars in 81

19. brohar

Dec 29, 2004
    Burton by far, but it will be interesting to see how much room they give Trujillo. Even if they let Trujillo run wild, the rest of the band doesnt have the creativity and drive they had in the 80's so dont expect much from the next album.

Ive been watching the Some Kind of Monster DVD and its so depressing watching these guys interact and record an album. They are all old, over sensitive babies now, and forgot what they do for a living should be fun. They even hired a band shrink for 40k a month to help them deal with each other.

BTW.. in the dvd they jam on battery with Trujillo and afterward say that it was the first time its been played without a pick since Burton died.
  20. CLiff!!!!! IMO if it wasnt for Cliff Metallica would have just been another Metal band, he added feel and soul to the music and wasnt afraid to step outside the regular "Bass In The Pocket" relm...Also he was INTENSE and a Drivng Force.. Cliff was most AWESOME..and will never be replaced....Les was way to a different style and I think it would have been a CLuster F**K.... I love less but it just wouldnt have worked....JMO