Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who runs at 2ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Jan 26, 2005.

1. I have a peavey mark 8 and a 4ohm 610. I was wondering how smart it would be to pick up a 115 or 118 and run at 2ohms, and was also wondering who here runs their rigs at 2ohms and what they use.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    as long as your amp is rated to safely run at 2 ohms you should have no problem. companies aren't going to give you the ok to run at 2 ohms unless it's safe. they don't want to have to do free repairs. i use a stewart 2.1 and run each channel at 2 ohms from time to time, most frequently when running it bridge mono into a 4 ohm load, (which results in each channel "seeing" a 2 ohm load)

3. Thanks you guys. I'll check that link out Smash.

4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I run my Peavey BAM into it's own internal 210 cab and an avatar B410 Delta giving me 2 ohms and 500 watts. Honestly, it's so loud I can't turn it past 3... makes the 410 seem like overkill but man when it's hooked up the thing just smokes!!

5. thats monsterous, i love it! i too have a monoblock and was thinking of adding a second 2x15, i'm just wonding if it has too much volume for your average sized bar gigs

6. adrian

adrian

Jan 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I'm running 2 ohms: Peavey T-Max head (550W @ 2ohm) with a single 2x15 cab that I reloaded with 4 ohm Black Widows in parallel. LOUD and decently defined, but lacks mid punch.

I'm looking to replace the 2x15 cab with something like 2x12 and 2x10 stacked (maybe Avatars). Aside from which brand to buy, I'm also mulling over the idea of running 4 ohm vs. 2 ohm for the stack (8 ohm vs. 4 ohm individual cabs). Going 2 ohm kind of limits my choice of power amps or heads later on - or will make me run each cab off a separate channel. Ah, decisions, decisions...

Allen

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    One of my 410 cabs has been rewired to 2 ohms, and I power it through one channel of my QSC PLX 3002. Never a problem, although the amp runs a tad warm at times - though never hot.

8. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I run my 410 at 2 ohms. Not anything fancy, just using both inputs from a single channel of my power amp, giving it the juice it can actually use.

The other channel is just idling along at 4. Lazy bastard.

Troll

9. no problem dude, in all honesty i cant see myself with any other amps, they're so tough, and better of all they sound great, i'd only every consider trading it in for a green, but even then i'm not sure

10. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Oddly enough, it is my smaller amp, a polytone pro, that is designed to run at 2 ohms (2 4 ohm cabinet "sections").

11. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I use my Yamaha bbt500h (500 watts @ 2 ohms) with two 4 ohm wizzy cabs.

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I think a much more meaningful question is, "Who runs hard at two Ohms?"

As in running out of power in the 350W/4-Ohm (or whatever) mode, so changing to the 450/2-Ohm mode just to get those extra watts.

I've heard a lot of complaints of overheating shutdown and failures even in amps rated for 2 Ohms - which as has been discussed before is sometimes a "technical" or "reference" rating rather than something an amp can really do in the real world under sustained working conditions.

I'm personally really curious if anyone here is running an SWR Pro Series amp hard for sustained periods at 2 Ohms and getting away with it, as I'd like to try it myself.

13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    There is a vintage 2 ohm Traynor power amp on ebay that, thanks to SMASH, I'm seriously considering picking up.

It's rated at 300 watts at 2 ohms and I've heard of the vaunted "Traynor watts".

14. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    That's pretty impressive.

I'm still curious about the Pro Series SWR stuff. While they are rated at 4/2, a lot of the copy I've seen from SWR sounds pretty equivocal about running at 2 Ohms. Other people may read it differently (SWR's ambiguous copywriter needs to be replaced), but it sounds as though they're saying you can but it'd be better if you didn't.

All this would be solved for me if I could just get a bit of evidence from the many SWR users here that they run hard at two Ohms without trouble.