Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who runs the 2x10 and 1x15 setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Nov 28, 2004.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    I have a 2x10 from avatar and im getting my power pre all set up soon. and i want to add another cab to give some extra bang to my set up.

do a lot of people run the 15 with the 210's?

what 15 do you use? should i look into the matching avatar?

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I did up until a couple of weeks ago. I downsized to a 1x12 instead of the 1x15 due to the size and weight of the 1x15. It was a good sounding setup though. Both cabs were Avatar. I would try and match cabs espescially if you intend to stack them. Different brands have different dimensions and may not be stackable.

3. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I'm running a David Eden WT-300, 210 XLT and 115 XLT, and am very happy with the sound. I used to run an SWR Goliath III 410 with the Eden 115 XLT, but am happier with the all Eden line-up.

This rig will handle any indoor gig I'll ever play. We have it set up to mic and run a DI to the PA which I really only need for outdoor gigs.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    before the current onset of 12" cabinets i would say about 40% of players used some combination of tens and fifteens. I say try as many setups as you can.

5. I use Flite cabs 1) 15 and 2) 10s, biamped 500w each at 4 ohms. Nice and light 30lbs each.
    As said earlier using the same manufacturer is a good idea for stackability.
    I haven't tried 12's yet but I'm still skeptical on them handling a low B.
    Dirk

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It's not my "regular rig" (as if I have one!), but I have a 2x10 and 1x15 from Dr. Bass that sound terrific together. It's one of the classic combo's, IMHO.

7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    yes, the Berg HT115 and the HT210. Nice combination of different sonic characteristics. However, If I were to do it all again, I might buy two of THE SAME cabs if I needed extra horsepower. (I like dealing with the signature of one type of sound/cabinet. It's a little easier to dial in my tone that way)
    It's Christmas soon, support your local mom and pop retailer!

8. How do like the quality of the Flites sound wise. I think it is cool to walk in with a 15 in one hand.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    See, from a guy that owns a ton of EA gear, "terrific" is a good endorsement.

I use the 2x10+1x15 setup as well. I find it's useful in that I get some big kick out of it, without having to haul around a bunch of gear. Now, I'd rather have the old dual 4x10 rig I had, but this suits me just as well.

10. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Yes, I run the Avatar 210 stacked on top of the Avatar compact 115.

The latest Avatar compact 115 cabs are visually compatible with the 210 cabs. The earlier models weren't designed to lay on their sides so the grill mesh didn't look the same.

So far so good: sound good, haul easily

Good luck!

11. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I've been running a Hartke 210XL and a 115XL for several years now. I used to run a 410TP on top of a GK 115 EV. I thought it always delivered way too much high end with the 410. I've just changed to a Schroeder 21012.

12. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I run the Mesa 2X10 and 1X15 powerhouse cabs. I am addicted to the sound I get from this combination.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    :smug: Marc's cabinets are well deserving of all the praise that they receive. They offer exceptional value for the money, and can hold their own with cabs costing much more, IMHO.

But, that said, I'm not about to go selling off all my VL-208's! :D

14. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I run an SWR Workingman 2x10 on top of a WM 1x15. I recently added another WM 1x15 for additional old school low end. :bassist:

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I often gig with Bergantino HT210 + HT115. Absolutely love 'em.

16. Does anyone use this setup outdoors WITHOUT P.A. Support?

if so, how does it handle?

17. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I use GK 1001RB 2x10 combo witha GK1x15RBH cab.
    I have played outdoors a few times with no pa support. I was once asked to turn down while warming up by a DJ more than two basketball "full courts" the long way away! :cool:

18. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Gaz, depends on your power at hand. I was using a Crown Power Base 3 (500 watts per side at 8ohms) total of 1000 watts RMS I was slamming my Ht210 and HT115 on an outdoor stage at Sea World and the sound man told me I was louder than the PA. What kind of head are you going to use?

19. First of.. let me say sorry for kinda hijacking the thread..

But at the moment i have the GK-400-210 Combo.

I'm looking at ebay'n that to finance a GK-1001II Head

And any combination of the following cabs
    - Eden 4x10 (4 ohms)
    - Eden 2x10 + 1x15
    - Eden 2x10 + 2x10

the guitarists i usually end up playing with run a 100watt valve head with a matching 4x12" cab.

P.A is usually dedicated to the singer and drummer. The guitarist and I would be left to our own amps.

Damnit i'd love to get a GK-1001-210 combo..with matching 115 tho.

20. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    like the guys said it all depends upon the power you use and the sensitivity of the cabs in question. Sometimes i gig my lil' bag end 1x15 outside with 400 watts from one half of a stewart 2.1 and it's too loud.