1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who runs Walter Woods and Bag End?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emblymouse, Aug 20, 2012.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    This is a sidetrack of my WW info quest. His amps are of of increasing interest to me. Some folks say they like certain cabs more than others. I would be running one with a Bag End S12-S15 combination. I have yet to see anyone doing a WW/BE rig although it seems like a natural. Any informed opinions?

2. lotusland9663

lotusland9663 Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Vancouver BC Canada
    I don't think you can go wrong with a Walter Woods amp and any cab. I presume you've got the Bag End cab you mention in your post and that's why you want to know? I've only used a Bag End cab and my WW once in a studio (not my cab) and it sounded like buttah! I currently use an Epifani 1x10 for EUB sounds great, 1 or 2 EA NL210s for rock/funk/R&B etc. sounds amazing and a Berg AE410 or NL610 for larger gigs. All sound great. I've been using WW amps for 20 years and have never had a problem and always love the sound. Good luck.

3. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Thanks! I have seen the Bergs get the nod most often. I would think that Mr. Woods likely would have used BE's at some point early on, they both predate the 'boutique' bass amp category.

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    The Walter Woods/Bag End stack used to be rig of choice. Unfortunately, I used to have to push my MI-100 more than was prudent. It DID sound great though.

FYI, when I visited Walter in the early 90s, his test cabinet was an open back, slant front EV 1x15.

IMGP1430.

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I agree, your sound will be more dependent on the cabinet rather than the WW amp. I have used my Super with three different Dr.*ass cabinets, a Sunn 2-15, a couple of Traynor YS-15s, and currently two different LDS cabs, a 2-8 and a 2-12, both with the same 6½" mid/high driver. All sounded great, just a bit different from each other.

6. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Weeelll,
    I've got an Ultra on the way:bassist::hyper:
    Thanks for the tips and encouraging words.
    Will I eventually be shown the secret handshake? And get Walter's PH#?

7. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Look through the photo archives for The Baked Potato in LA; seems like in the late 70s or 1980s that was practically the house bass rig for every jazz/fusion act that played there.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    There is at least one PDx jazz guy using a WW and sD15 setup. Rob Allen Mb bass. Sounds killer out in the house (no fOh). Not sure who he is. I saw him playing behind Dan Balmer. Sort of a fusion thing. Nice playing all the way around in that band.

9. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I have used my WW Ultra with 2 BE - S 15 D cabs on many occasions.
    In addition to the ease of moving this in and out of clubs it sounds great. I have used a Sadowsky 4 string, a P Bass, a Jazz Bass and a Fodera Monarch...all great results.

I Bag End stacked are perfect height for me..I can really hear the top cab which helps me tremendously on gigs...
    I am a huge fan of the Bag End Cabs...

10. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Soon I'll perch a Walter Ultra atop my BE S15-S12 stack:hyper:!

I am curious as hell how this will sound compared to the Mesa Walkabout head I've using (which I luv).

11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

It will sound much cleaner, much more modern, not nearly as big down low, and quite a bit brighter in the upper mids. The newer Walters (after around 1995 or so) are very solid-state sounding... super clean, tight, bright, with a unique, pure top end. Probably about as different as could be compared to your Walkabout.

I gigged one Walter or another for about 15+ years (still owned an Ultra through 2006) before all the other micro's came out. If I wanted a very clean, articulate, precise amplication platform for a double bass, it is hard to beat the Walter. For electric bass, I feel many other heads (including the Walkabout) sound better (i.e., fatter with more character).

I would not spend the money myself. But, again, as with any head, nothing sounds like a Walter, and if that is the tone you want, get out your wallet:D

12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 I gigged a Bag End stack (one 'x' and one 'non x' of the small 15 cubes) with a Walter Woods from the mid 80's through the mid 90's. For that time period, it was state of the art. Still sounds good of course, but for the weight and cost, there are MANY better options today IMO and IME.

13. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    If you like the tone, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better built, higher quality USA product than the S15 which is a steal at $425. One of the best values out there IMO.

14. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I imported an used WW head for a friend a few years back, it was a red faced 1990s version at around 300w IIRC. Sounded great but not gritty and fat enough for my tastes. It was a good combination though, very loud and very clear, very interesting voice if not mine.

I understand the newer versions go even farther in this direction, as mentioned previously.

15. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    As I own a Walter Woods MI-400-8, and his Electroacoustic Ultra there are a number of different cabinets that I thought were a good match with Walter's amps. Early on when I got my first MI-100-8, I used a pair of the original Bag End S-15-M's. They were loaded with JBL-E140's and sounded quite good at the time, in their day. The cabinet's you posted, were later versions of the ones I owned, that were, I believe actually voiced as bass cabinets. So yes it will work just fine.

Later I used the original SWR Baby Blue 2x8 cabinet that had custom Bag End 8" drivers, one of the first, if not possibly the first cabinet's that used 8". For low volume gigs it sounded great.
    Actually, there are very few cabinets that don't match well with Woods amps. One, IMHO, IME, being the original SWR 2X10's and 4x10's with that wide open voicing they had, it just ate up the available power reserves that my Ultra could produce, and the voicing of the cabinet just didn't work IMHO.

As Ken mentioned in his post above. Walter's amps are great with Double Bass, and good with Electric Bass. If you're just playing EB, my goodness there are so many new micro heads that are less expensive than a Woods, and are probably better suited to EB.
    This if from a player that owns two of them, so take that for what it's worth. IMHO IME

The amplifier you're looking at, is from Walter's middle period and are, IMHO transitional amps between, his totally analog MI-100, MI-225, MI 400 and MI-600-8 amps, in the 1970's and 80's and the Electroacoustic Series that he currently produces. Below
    are his finest efforts IMHO.

Ric

Attached Files:

16. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Woo, cold shower time! Thanks for the IMO's and IME's. I'm going to try putting off the buyers remorse until it gets here from N.Y.:meh:
    I do really like the Walkabout, but I find it doesn't handle the the 5 string as well as the 4. Tried a GK MB800, I was afraid I'd break it before the first gig....kinda flimsy.
    My double bass is actually a Clevinger EUB so we'll have to see how this applies.

17. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Embly Mouse,
    It's a fine amp actually, just different than the others. You'll just have to see if it does what you want, all of Walter's amps have great Pre Amp sections. I own and gig with a Clevenger EUB. You will actually need something like the HPF buffer pre amp, if you have one of the older Clevengers, with the "Diamond Sonance" pickups. As compared to the MB800 I think it's a much more robust amp structurally, but I wouldn't want to drop either of them from two high up.;) The Woods is a very serviceable amplifier.

Ric

18. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    So, is this like saying 'she has a great personality'?:D
    My Clevenger is a later one with the Arco Virtuoso and Holosonic p/u's which are ok straight into the amp. I gotta say the Walkabout sounds great with that too. Maybe I should have got 4 Walkabouts instead?
    I do appreciate all the comments + & - and in between. I've got big $ riding on this so excuse me if I seem touchy but I've got a few folks on my end who think I'm crazy. I've got 4 days to muse on this before delivery so watch out!:ninja:

PS. It is an Ultra BTW.

19. Treaks

Treaks

Jun 9, 2011
    Maplewood NJ
    I use a 300/450 watt Woods with a 115 Bag End or a 112 Epifani. Sometimes I run both cabs. I love them both. The Bag End has a bit more midrange bite, and the Epifani is a bit more (you guessed it) hi-fi. If I had to choose, I would probably go with the Bag End. I like 15s with no tweeter in general, and the two cabs are about the same size and weight. The Bag End is plenty bright, and I think I can push it more before it gets farty.