1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who said bill was no good?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MichelD, Jul 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MichelD

MichelD

May 19, 2014
    YOU can sure hear Wyman here:

Coolhandjjl likes this.
  2. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    I never said that...

3. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I can hear him, but that doesn't mean I like it.

Gluvhand likes this.
  4. Bill is a great blues and rock n roll bass player. He always had a great sound too. He was really the first electric fretless player too.

sneha1965 and fretlessguy like this.
  5. In his book "Stone Alone" Bill states clearly that he never even considered himself anything more than a solid blues-based player.
    He did exactly what he needed to do with the Stones & locked in well w/ Charlie.
    I can think of better tracks than the vid, "Exile on Main Street" has some cool bass lines, as do many of their recordings-
    "Sympathy for the Devil" anyone? "Bitch"? Great cuts IMO.

Saw the Stones 2X; once w/ Wyman, next w/ Daryll. Even tho Mr. Jones is a major talent, I liked the performance w/Bill better. After all, except for Brian of course- It was the Stones!

6. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Keith Richards played bass on "Sympathy for the Devil"

obimark, bobyoung53 and smeet like this.
  7. Well, isn't that a pickle for me??!:roflmao:

OK, How's about "Street Fightin' Man"?

8. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Sorry, Keith did that one too(as well as "Live With Me"). Not to detract from Bill's contributions...while no virtuoso he always did come up with some quirky lines. There's a lot of cool supportive stuff on 'Aftermath' in particular, especially the early fuzz bass stuff like "Flight 505", "It's Not Easy", and "Under My Thumb", and in later years, the seriously funky "Undercover of The Night".

2saddleslab and HaphAsSard like this.
  9. Damn! I need to get a discography w/ credits! Why was Keith playing bass on all those tracks?? Was Bill cruising the high schools looking for "friends" or something?? (Sorry, inside joke, I have no issue w/ Mr. Wyman:roflmao:)

How about "Around & Around" on 12 X 5? Keith out -Chuck Berry's Chuck Berry on that track, and if Wyman didn't play bass, I'm gonna give up.
    I was really surprised when Daryll Jones took his place. I mean, Miles Davis to the Stones? He's talked about it, but I understand Tommy Shannon wanted the gig, and I guess the $$$ for Daryll was enough to make him Rock n' Roll.
    As I said, I saw them w/both he and Bill, Wyman fit like a glove, never moved an inch on stage!

Now- On a sad note. The Stones Super Bowl performance not too long ago was IMO- Pathetic; sounded like a Garage Band.
    They need to retire, sorry, if they're gonna play like that, so sloppy.
    When I saw them at Dodger Stadium, the BEST part of the show (w/Daryll btw) was when they went out mid-field on a small stage, and played with Sax/Keys doing "Carol" and some other raw, pure R'NR. Damn that was hot.
    I'm a fan from way back, that was killer, as was Mick's incredible performance when I saw them at the Forum in LA years earlier.

10. Thumb n Fingers

Thumb n Fingers

Dec 15, 2016
    I was going to poke my head up out of the ground and praise his really cool bass line in Emotional Rescue, but I guess that was Ron Wood...

Back to the underground...

B-line likes this.
  11. "What about "Beast of Burden" and "Miss You"?

C'mon Man!

download (1).jpg

Tupac likes this.
  12. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I've been listening to a lot of early Stones stuff on YouTube recently ... they really were a great R&B band.

sneha1965 and bobyoung53 like this.
  13. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    :)
    The story I've repeatedly heard about "Miss You" was that Bill did indeed play bass on that track...but the bass line was written by Billy Preston.

sneha1965 and bobyoung53 like this.
  14. Finally! Bill Wyman, playing bass on a Stones track!!!:roflmao:

bobyoung53, Bob_Ross and Oddly like this.
  15. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Of course that's Bill on all of the Stones' sessions(with maybe a rare exception that I don't know about)up through the end of 1966. Like the Beatles and so many other bands of that time and place, they were in a repetitive cycle of tour/record/tour/record, living in each other's pockets, so Bill would always be there(Brian, on the other hand, would be occasionally AWOL from being too zonked out). By the time 1967 rolled around, while the Beatles quit touring because they were over it, the Stones became studio rats in the wake of their multiple drug busts and aftermath(no pun intended). That's why "TSM" was such an interesting train wreck; Mick and Keith were constantly working in the studio, sometimes writing songs there, Bill and Charlie would get bored, took off, and if Keith would get inspired, he'd just lay down a bass track himself. Brian was too out if it most of the time. Ill at ease with psychedelia, they later made their come back as a rock band with 'Jumpin' Jack Flash'(Bill was the one who actually came up with that riff, but Keith, being the pirate that he is, claimed it as his own). But that set the course for Keith to record as many parts as he could when he was hot in the studio, while Bill, and especially Brian, wasn't around. Get on YouTube and look up Jean Luc Goddard One Plus One aka Sympathy For The Devil film to get a glimpse of how the Stones recorded in 1968. Much like 'Let It Be', while it's not an insight into a band falling apart, it's a cinema verite study of Brian quickly going down the tubes and being marginalized in his own band.

Oddly, B-line and Rocker949 like this.
  16. Keith played on a lot of their stuff, anytime you hear a clear articulate bass line with not a lot of bottom it is Keith, Bill always played with a lot of bottom.

obimark likes this.
  17. If the bill is at least a 5 pound note, it's worth something:

gbp-5-new-note_650x400_61480773471.jpg

18. untitled.JPG
    FIXED IT FOR YOU!

bobyoung53 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  19. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Bill's a good, solid bass player. Nothing fancy, but some cool little subtleties here and there.

I dig his line on "Too Much Blood" from "Undercover" (1983).

According to his bass tech, Bill used the same plectrum for the entire "Tattoo You" tour in '81.

Oddly likes this.
  20. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I don't use a pick, but when I did try, I couldn't use the same pick for two songs without losing it!