1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who Said You Can't Get a Good Sound From a Squier?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EasyMurder, Jan 27, 2012.

1. EasyMurder

EasyMurder

Jul 31, 2011
    Check out this video:

It just goes to show that the player counts as well!

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    not a squier. the bridge is wrong the pickup is a j pickup but it has a p pickguard.

3. lobster57

lobster57

May 7, 2009
    Victoria, BC
  4. reedo_l

reedo_l

Nov 21, 2007
    no one

5. Its definitely a Squier and definitely a P-bass variant. I would know...I had the exact same bass for a couple months. Picked it up at a garage sale but got rid of it only a few months later because it was riddled with problems I simply wasn't willing to fix (especially since I bought it for a measly $50).

It stood out to me because it was weird...like a P-bass/Jazz hybrid. Sadly, I wish it sounded as good as the one in OP's video. Must have some sort of mods.

6. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Seems like a good bit of 'verb in that sound.

7. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    I think most are the mods are his hands. I despise slap because most of the people who do it, suck at it and shouldnt be doing it. This man is not in that group.

8. Agreed; some mad skills.

9. I always have to wonder what people mean when they say 'sound.' A couple of pieces of wood with steel strings stretched across them with two single coil pickups under them in the correct locations and attached to an appropriate amp of some sort will always 'sound' like a 'jazz bass.' Its not rocket science. Playing it well, on the other hand.........

10. jthurston

jthurston

Nov 22, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    I am, though. :smug:

11. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Does anybody say that any more? Since the VM and CV lines came out?

12. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    Agreed, I don't think there's much of a knock on the squire sound at all these days. I'm kinda feeling the VM jaguars, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

13. anybody else notice the guitarist is playing an epiphone sheraton with electrical tape over the "epiphone" logo?

14. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    Me to.

You should start a club,

Tabdog

15. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    Good eye.

Tabdog

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It's a Squier but is it stock? Pickups sound like EMG's.

17. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Well there is a thread where a Tber sanded off the Squier logo to only then put on a Fender one to keep folks from dissing him..funny huh?

18. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I've got an Epiphone Les Paul Custom with electrical tape over the Epiphone logo as well :) At least I think it's still on there.

I bought it that way when I was in high school and never took it off. I probably should next time I have it out.

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hey, some of us are vane like that!! :oops:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:bag:

20. jthurston

jthurston

Nov 22, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Wow. Using electrical tape to cover up a brand name that was good enough for the Beatles. Just...wow.

Anyway...

This Kenny Harris feller is a purdy good bass player! Didn't he also write some pretty well-known R&B hits in the 90s?