1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who says flats dont sound good for rock/metal...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by WayneS, Mar 3, 2008.

1. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    This is my band. Its not the best recording but you can hear my bass pretty much throughout the whole song. Its not my favorite song either... too simple.

These are Rotosound RS77 Monel flatwounds on a Fender Precision bass.

Killing In The Name Of by RATM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v69Y8f7aF8w

2. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Is your singer wearing chaps?

3. low-endz

low-endz

Dec 18, 2007
    Miami, FL.
    I dont think you'll get much of an argument here @ T'b.
    Bass God Steve Harris uses his Roto flats and I strung them on my Gibson Victory and I love these for Blues/Hard Rock.

For metal I do use Steel Rounds w my Fender-P ,my personal taste.

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Yup, flats rock on metal!

5. ill tell you who says that

people who have never used flats

6. no offence...but the singer murdered this song....maybe its just because RATM is one of my favorite bands...

oh and your right... flats don't suck for metal XD

7. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia

I think the singer did a great job, and I also think you are wrong... the flats sound great!

8. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    Heh! Yeah, he is! He is all in his own.

9. Crane

Crane

May 26, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Off topic, but your drummer has good taste in snare heads. I have one and love the tone.

10. seriously flats rock ass for metal, no fret buzz at all plus the frets and your hands wont take a beating. Just krank the gain, treble, bass, and presence up a notch and they will sound like steels (at least for me they do)

11. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Indeed, good tone. You're using a pick right?

12. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    Nope, I play with my fingers.

13. mike_Ro11

mike_Ro11

Dec 17, 2007
    I'm a big RATM fan. Nice bass playin.

14. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Wow that's really awesome considering most people who play that song, including Tim himself use roundwounds. Nice job!!

15. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    Thanks man! :)

16. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Some people don't like them because it makes your tone rounder, and they think you need the precision for the songs. You've fixed the problem and I presume with your EQ because your tone still has that clank anyway.

I also use flats for metal, on a fretless. I still don't use a clanky tone I just like the smooth bass under the harsh guitars to even it out, you know?

I don't think your singer can pull off Zach De La Rocha (or however you spell it) to be honest, but your band is tight as ****. You cover the whole tone spectrum! Keep that sound man, it's really working for you.

17. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    Thanks for the kind words about the band. As far as the singer goes, its a matter of taste I guess. For any RATM fans, no singer can match the original. But then again, our singer isnt trying to. He's being himself. Personally, I think he does a great job on the song, but like I said, its a matter of preference.

18. the singer did kill it, but i just now realize that i but flats do suck XD I ment to say flats dont suck my bad....:bag::bag:

19. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    What amp and cabinet do you have?

20. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    I'm playing through a Fender BXR 200 thats ran through the PA.