Who ships with FedEx?

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by Gorn, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
  2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Any idea how many folks are employee by fedex ? Ups ? Usps ? You are going to get spme knuckleheads in any population that large... And you think these guys are tough on boxes? Wait till you try shipping freight mixed mode ... There is a reason that my company ships in wooden crates bolted to pallets. It sure isn't to reduce shipping cost... Though ultimately it is to reduce loss...

I receive from all of them. I ship with Fedex as in my area, Fdx GND is generally the most competitive rate. I've had outbound issues with Fedex and UpS and inbound with each as well.. Never had a claim denied... Except on an non-insured in bound, where the seller made good - after an extended discussion here.

The deal is that they are each big enough that there are going to be issues... The upshot of the deal is that you have to pack for nuclear detonation AND insure for it as well. Do that and it doesn't matter who you ship with from a financial standpoint. If there are issues, then everybody is covered.

Knuckleheads are everywhere. You know the old adage, never buy a car made on A Monday or a Friday...

3. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    i pack as though boxes will be thrown.

i've done this ever since i saw boxes on the conveyor belt at the local ups. several of the boxes fell about 3 or 4 feet to the ground. most of them were kicked along on the floor until they got placed back on the belt.

4. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    Very good advice.
    I do a lot of shipping, and I use FedEx because I've had about 90% fewer bad experiences with them than with UPS.

5. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I'm surprised the driver didn't knock them both out.
    How is he going to find the package that he will have to deliver? It will make for a long day for him looking for the right package to drop off at the delivery point.
    Something just isn't right about that video.
    No driver would put up with that kind of loading.
    May be it was the driver that shot the video

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I think the woman is the driver. That other guy apparently doesn't work for FedEx but he was working with her that day for some reason. That's what was on the news when this came out if I remember correctly.

7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I agree that it's very counterproductive on the driver's end. I'd rather take 10 seconds and put the boxes in the truck correctly rather than have to wade through a pile on the floor of the truck.

Are drivers (ups, fedex etc..) evaluated in regards to their truck loading?

8. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Drivers do not load their trucks unless everything is running behind and then they will jump in to help so they can get on the road faster.
    I've worked as a part time loader.
    You have to work as a loader for at least five years to get enough superiority to get to be a driver.
    Every driver I know would chew a loader like that out and then call the loaders supervisor and they would pull the loader off the line.

Edit**
    I just watched it again and they are on the road.
    I think the one drivers truck broke down and they sent another truck out to take over the days run. That means the two drivers have to unload one truk into the other. It looks like they are in a major city like NYC and that could mean that a lot of the packages are going to a couple of buildings so sorting would not be that big of a deal. The driver just wanted to get on the road.

9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I was thinking maybe the driver was doing a pickup.

10. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I generally use USPS for smaller packages, FedEx for mid sized packages and speaker cabs, UPS for basses.

There are horror stories about every company out there. I personally haven't had an issue with any of them.

11. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    I've shipped probably about 4000 packages over the past 2 years; about 500-750 with UPS/FedEx and received just as many in return. I've only had about 5 damages with FedEx and UPS (despite some horrid pack jobs I've seen arrive to me) and only 2 with USPS.

They are much more careful than people imply.

12. They did the same with my luggage at Atlanta Airport. Right in front of me.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021